Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

uhhh ohh help me my turbo is OUT!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uhhh ohh help me my turbo is OUT!

so im going home from work today and i hear a sound (seemed like under the hood) (whoosh noise) and now my turbo will not kick in. motor still running everything is okay, but NO TURBO~!!!! i drove home about 50mph on highway for about 30 miles. I have checked uicp, licp, and boost controller... everything seems secure. any help would greatly be appreciated... sorry i am extreme n00b
=(

btw... i have fmic, uicp, licp, boost cont. full exhaust, cone filter, cobb access port

sorry if i am leaving any info out... again SUPER NOOB
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Take off the intake pipe and check if the turbo rotates freely. If it binds up then now is the right time to upgrade the turbo.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:25 PM

so your only thought is that the turbo is blown?? it couldnt be anything else?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:28 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChimpEvOX
so your only thought is that the turbo is blown?? it couldnt be anything else?
Check your hoses for boost control. Maybe something got disconnected. Try resetting the ECU and reflashing everything.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you popped a coupler. Go over all the intercooler pipe couplers, especially the connections at the intercooler. Tighten down all the clamps and make sure there's no boost leaks anywhere.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, just like everyone else said sounds like u have a massive boost leak somewhere check all your couplers and make sure there tight and secure
Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

The first time this happened on my Turbo RSX i got scared too, lol.

It happens, I am guessing a coupler is loose as well, hopefully an easy to reach one.

You should be alright just tighten everything up.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 09:39 AM

Thanks for help guys I will look as soon as I get a chance... car is home n I don't get off till dark so hopefully I will find the problem
Old Sep 30, 2009, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

if you hear a whoosh noise sounds liek a loose coupler, first time a blew a coupler off, i thought a tire exploded....
Old Sep 30, 2009, 06:34 PM

actually... i just cranked my car today and the boost is back on??? what the hell is going on? everything seems normal again... boost is still peaking 25psi and all... im kinda happy at same time freakin out... wat is this
Old Oct 1, 2009, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

I would still check all your couplers. My guess is one came loose somehow and is on the verge of popping off again.

Your turbo will just not decide to spool one day and then come back another and then go back out. The turbo will either work or it won't. If it's working now then you had a boost leak and need to find out where it was because it will probably happen again.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 07:39 AM

Do a boost leak test if you can. Take your air filter off, get a large, thick zip-lock back and clamp it around your intake tube. Use the vacuum source off your blow off valve, and if you have access to an air compressor, compress the air into the vacuum source and listen for any leaks. My car leaks a little through the MAF sensor on my hardpipe, and sometimes after a few pulls, the car will go into limp mode making it feel sluggish, and only boosting 11 psi. But a boost leak test will narrow your culprits down when trying to find a loose coupler, loose vacuum line, or a damaged intercooler.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

My guess..... You were cruising at 50+mph you said.... I bet you gave it some gas in 5th gear, the car overboosted because of your MBC, which caused your car to go into limp mode.

I see your list of mods, but i don't see a tune.... so I have a feeling my conclusion maybe accurate.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First time I had a pipe pop off I had just installed my new turbo. Was driving it around on minimal boost, but one time i decided to turn it up and have a pull. Drove past a bar at like 28 or so psi and the bottom intercooler pipe popped off, the people on the gazebo thought I was shooting up the place or something... I had to drive 5 mph to go home which was over a half mile away. I felt and looked like an idiot.

Should be just a leak somewhere, but yes, murio is right, check all the couplers because if you don't find it it will happen again when you need the pressure the most, which on the highway is not safe at all...
Old Oct 1, 2009, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by itznoraa
if you hear a whoosh noise sounds liek a loose coupler, first time a blew a coupler off, i thought a tire exploded....
Happen to me too but I'm not sure if it's the coupler or hose because if that was the case, he wouldn't be able to drive 50mph home. When my coupler got loose, I can't even go past 20mph. Your car is too new. I wouldn't think the turbo going out already. Do what the others suggest and let us know.