Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

SS exhaust surface rust up north

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moderator: please move to Show and Shine.

Here's a pic of the 'golding/browning/rust' I see on my catback How do I make this go away and will it come right back. Sucks paying almost $1,000 for an exhaust and it looks worse than stock.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, I know mine was looking a lil rough last year during winter when I had it up on a lift. But I don't think mine looks like this.

I guess I will have to check when I get home tonight. I know what you mean though, paying a lot and it doesn't stay pretty.

My biggest problem with the exhaust was my tips have a nice black ring around them from just running rich I think. It won't really clean off either.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the black ring is pretty normal, and that did clean up for me. I think E85 and a good tune has reduced it too. With the gas tune I had 'soot' all over the back of the car. Spitting flames probably doesn't help the 'blackened' situation though...
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea now that I am e85 i don't have the soot all over the rear of my car. The ring is still left from the gas tune.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently removed my Perrin SS polished catback and noticed the same thing as you. However, the exhaust hasn't even seen winter yet.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigT

I recently removed my Perrin SS polished catback and noticed the same thing as you. However, the exhaust hasn't even seen winter yet.
No surface rust on my polished Perrin CBE yet, and mines been on for about 9 months now.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:41 PM
Former Sponsor

A high grade stainless steel such as SUS304 will not rust. Here is a good article on it:

http://www.stainless-online.com/manu...-stainless.htm

Note where it says "t409 stainless steel has a lot of ferrous material in it and can show surface oxidation after a while, especially when exposed to calcium chloride or salt". Lower grade stainless steel has a higher iron content. You can test the steel by using a magnet. A magnet will not stick to true 304 stainless. If the magnet sticks to it, it is definitely a lower grade.

It's definitely a cause for concern, especially if the corrosion is occuring around the flanges. Eventually, it can either rust through, or become weakened and break due to the engine torque moving the exhaust.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

I guess I'll do the magnet test today to make sure it is 304. I think this sentence from your article pretty much sums it up... "The t304 system will not oxidize or rust. However, it can develop a golden color when exposed to high heat over time. " Thats the actual issue I'm having. Not sure how to stop/reverse/prevent it though.

Last edited by Tractionlimit; Nov 24, 2009 at 05:09 AM.