Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

29 psi! Need to lower boost!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2009, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by seven_227
It's either that or my upgraded blitz actuator and EVC are working hard to hold boost
Do you honestly believe that your setup is holding a stock turbo to 27psi at redline?

I don't care if it is only 7k, the stock turbo starts dumping boost in the 5500 range. No matter what the hell you use it won't hold more than 21ish psi at redline.

You are claiming to hold more boost than any of the aftermarket stock frame turbos.

So I hope you are joking.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by murlo26
Do you honestly believe that your setup is holding a stock turbo to 27psi at redline?

I don't care if it is only 7k, the stock turbo starts dumping boost in the 5500 range. No matter what the hell you use it won't hold more than 21ish psi at redline.

You are claiming to hold more boost than any of the aftermarket stock frame turbos.

So I hope you are joking.
I'm not. If you can't hold more than 21ish psi at redline, sorry to tell you that you need a proper tune asap. We all saw many dyno graphs on this forum alone with over 26 psi at redline on a stock turbo.
I got many more supporting mods if that counts. I'll try to capture it on video tonight.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

I really wish someone else would chime in so I wouldn't be the only sane person in here.

Did you even read my last post? In order to hold 27psi at redline you would need a 35r of some sort, none of the stock bolt on's have held that much boost up top.

It's not possible man, its physics, its a small *** turbo. Sure you can spike 27psi, I spike 31, but you will not hold 27, i dont care what the hell you do to it.

Go get dyno'd and post a boost plot, it will show you exactly what everyone else on this board has shown.

So again I ask, you really believe that you are holding 27? Go to the dyno section and look at stock turbo graphs, none hold any more than 20ish.

Your expensive and in the case of the Evo X, worthless, boost controller is not special. All you have done is take away the failsafes from the stock, very capable ECU boost control.

Even if your gauge reads 27, it is wrong.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:40 AM
Account Disabled

We all saw many dyno graphs on this forum alone with over 26 psi at redline on a stock turbo.
We have? Care to link to these graphs of holding 26psi at redline?

- Bryan
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:43 AM

I'm not. If you can't hold more than 21ish psi at redline, sorry to tell you that you need a proper tune asap. We all saw many dyno graphs on this forum alone with over 26 psi at redline on a stock turbo.
I got many more supporting mods if that counts. I'll try to capture it on video tonight.
When you are able to maintain 27 psi till 7K are you cruising in 5th gear at low RPM and then mashing the gas or is this something you see rowing the gears from 1-3. If you are saying you can hold 27 psi in lower gears til 7K then that is not very likely.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
We have? Care to link to these graphs of holding 26psi at redline?

- Bryan
Well finally a little support.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

i'd love to see your boost graph... never seen a stock turbo hold boost 26psi all across the board for the x turbo...hmmm..

so far that i've seen with a stock framed turbo that was able to hold boost good was meat_evos setup with a red and external wg setup...i think it was 25-+ish psi at redline if i'm not mistaken...correct me if im wrong..
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tonyboy
i'd love to see your boost graph... never seen a stock turbo hold boost 26psi all across the board for the x turbo...hmmm..

so far that i've seen with a stock framed turbo that was able to hold boost good was meat_evos setup with a red and external wg setup...i think it was 25-+ish psi at redline if i'm not mistaken...correct me if im wrong..
Pretty much spot on, 25 is the most i have seen on stock frame.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

I hold 25PSI until 6600 with the help of a Forge WGA.It soon falls to about 20 after that though.I will post up my dyno sheet as soon as I get off of work.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

I was surprised myself as I also knew that the stock turbo can't hold boost at high rpms, but I don't know what my tuner did to make it hold those levels of boost, all I can do is share a video of my rpms and boost gauge.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty surprised how much boost the stock turbo can make. My boost peaks at about 27psi with the current tune and at first I was concerned, but it seems like its a relatively safe boost to run
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

I was previously tuned to 26.5psi on the dyno, but now the weather becomes colder my boost increased to 30 to 31 psi at peak between 4K to 5K rpm and sometimes overboosting!!

My question is: which maps on the ECUflash needs to be adjusted to lower the boost level?
Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:08 AM
-H-

I was surprised myself as I also knew that the stock turbo can't hold boost at high rpms, but I don't know what my tuner did to make it hold those levels of boost, all I can do is share a video of my rpms and boost gauge.
Does your tuner wear a wizard's hat? That sounds like he's reflashing your ecu with black magic! I bet that beast is pushing 5 psi of boost at idle.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by -H-
Does your tuner wear a wizard's hat? That sounds like he's reflashing your ecu with black magic! I bet that beast is pushing 5 psi of boost at idle.
I have EVC 6 + upgraded actuator and I'm happy my car is able to hold this amount of boost to redline and yours can't
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by -H-
Even after all this time he still believes he can hold that much boost...man some people i tell ya.

Quick Reply: 29 psi! Need to lower boost!!!