Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

So, while I have the hotside off, anything I should do? Porting?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So, while I have the hotside off, anything I should do? Porting?

Ya so the old busted (again) o2 housing came off easy, but getting it back on proved that it came off a bit too easy (a couple of the bolt holes in the hotside got their threads in a mess).

So... while I've got the hotside and exhaust manifold off (AGAIN!), what should I do?

I'm already:
- fixing the threads ()
- pulling the studs in the manifold to replace with bolts

Should I looks to do a DIY port/polish? I lined the manifold up with the gasket and it looks like there's very little material that would need to come off (if any) in order to get the ports to match the gasket, so I'm not sure of the gains in taking the time to do that.

And don't say "put a red on." Believe me, I've thought about it... but I'm tired of spending money on the car at this point.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you've got the time and effort to do a DIY port + polish job, don't see why not. every bit of flow counts.

it's hard to get it right though. at least for me. tried it on an old manifold. turned out to be an ugly mess.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Doing a port and polish by smoothing out casting marks and other features that may slow flow should help. In general you want the head to match the ports and then taper down to where it enters the turbo to increase velocity overall. The stock exhaust manifold has passages facing each other which doesn't help flow but smoothing the inside radius leading to the turbo should give the exhaust gasses a chance to turn towards the turbo inlet earlier and help it flow a bit better.