Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

who is seeing better gains in what cams. . .

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2010 | 04:34 PM
Account Disabled

I can see why there would be poor results with these if the MIVEC would not be setup correctly...
Old Feb 22, 2010 | 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by criptballer

also, does anyone if installing these are a pain in the ***? or something special that needs to be done? i saw the video on youtube about the 4b11 and it says you have to adjust the valve spacing if replacing cams with some sort of spacer or something. is this correct? as you can see i'm gonna have help from someone that has done it multiple times but i don't know if it's different for the evo x.
Unless you've adjusted valves that are shim/bucket, I would stay away from doing this yourself. It is very different from 4G63. You will need a set of valve tappets to get the valve clearance right once you put the cams in. It also requires feeler gauges and math (which is why I fail at this). I've done them on several japaneese motorcycles and it just plain sucks. When I do my cams, I plan to do a writeup of the process, but it will be next fall...
Old Feb 22, 2010 | 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by geezevox
Unless you've adjusted valves that are shim/bucket, I would stay away from doing this yourself. It is very different from 4G63. You will need a set of valve tappets to get the valve clearance right once you put the cams in. It also requires feeler gauges and math (which is why I fail at this). I've done them on several japaneese motorcycles and it just plain sucks. When I do my cams, I plan to do a writeup of the process, but it will be next fall...
yeah that's what i've been reading that its pretty different with adjusting the tappets and all. see this is why i'm wondering if the people that say that BC cams suck is because they infact did it wrong. anybody out there with BC cams????.......
Old Feb 23, 2010 | 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Just got my goodies in today! Woot!

Old Feb 23, 2010 | 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

My reasons for the Kelfords are because I know a few people locally with X's running the 214-B and they love them and also have some subie friends with Kelfords and they like them as well. The JUN's is because of the Ti springs and retainers and because since they are JUN you know the quality will be amazing and they run aggressive
Old Feb 24, 2010 | 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

JUN says the ti retainers are completely optional. I think for most folks just get JUN cams/springs and use stock retainer. I think Kelford does that as well.
Old Feb 24, 2010 | 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

I have the JUN stage 2R cams with the titanium retainers. I won't have results for a month or so though. I'm waiting for other parts from Japan...
Old Feb 24, 2010 | 09:32 PM
Account Disabled

I'm still interested in the dyno results of the BC cams though. anyone?........
I have some dyno charts of big losses over stock cams vs BC cams on a Evo 9 but that is not what this thread is asking about.

- Bryan
Old Feb 24, 2010 | 09:55 PM
Account Disabled

I read that Cossie M1's cams max out the flow of the stock heads... so going bigger will probably not yield gains...

Note this is what I read, not sure how true this information is.
Old Feb 24, 2010 | 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

We need some results for the Jun Cam's. I'm looking at getting some and want to know if they are JDM pimpness or over priced?
Old Feb 25, 2010 | 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

I have seen JUN cams on other applications and they have ALWAYS been amazing in their performance. That is why I decided to go JUN despite my friend being a Kelford dealer. What's a few hundred dollars compared to everything else spent on car?
Old Feb 28, 2010 | 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Guru
Just got my goodies in today! Woot!

Where did you get them from I want to get a set?
Old Feb 28, 2010 | 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

I'm still interested in the dyno results of the BC cams though. anyone?........
Dude, I have never even dealt with cams before and I can tell you that from what people are saying in here, stay the hell away from the BC cams. I dont know what your hard-on is for saving a couple bucks, you bought a 35000 dollar car, treat it like one.
Old Mar 1, 2010 | 03:22 PM

look at HKS 272's...you won't need springs with them unless you wanna shift passes 8 or 8.5 but if your gonna get springs anyway than match the 272 with some supertechs
Old Apr 6, 2010 | 05:17 AM

Here's one link for Tomei on MR.
http://www.sgevoclub.com/evo-4b11-te...rt-t20887.html

AND.. the Tomei is cheaper than the Kelford here in Singapore. By about 100bucks or abt 10%.

Quick Reply: who is seeing better gains in what cams. . .