Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

who is seeing better gains in what cams. . .

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2009 | 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Question who is seeing better gains in what cams. . .

IM havin a problem choosing cams i want a good deal price wise but i want the most effective and i dont know which to go with

brian crower-499 + 276 for springs
cosworth- 673
kelford-749 with springs

then theres jun and then theres hks but no one has tried ether here in the U.S and posted any threads . .now brian crowers are siad to give out 30 to 35 hp from what im getting off from the market and i dont know what gains are coming out of the rest can anyone shine some light into the situation im on my second evo and ive never bought cams before so i need an inside look into it and vendors are welcome to pm me with there best pricing as well
Old Oct 17, 2009 | 04:06 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by REVOlution86
IM havin a problem choosing cams i want a good deal price wise but i want the most effective and i dont know which to go with

brian crower-499 + 276 for springs
cosworth- 673
kelford-749 with springs

then theres jun and then theres hks but no one has tried ether here in the U.S and posted any threads . .now brian crowers are siad to give out 30 to 35 hp from what im getting off from the market and i dont know what gains are coming out of the rest can anyone shine some light into the situation im on my second evo and ive never bought cams before so i need an inside look into it and vendors are welcome to pm me with there best pricing as well
Don't waste your time with BC cams. In many applications I would have better results with the STOCK CAMS>
Old Oct 17, 2009 | 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

You sure about that price of the Kelfords with springs? Most of the time I see Kelfords 214-A's for about $750 and 214-B's for $1000 give or take $100.
Old Oct 18, 2009 | 07:14 AM
CMB
Evolving Member

Wonder what the HKS 272 cams adds for HP on a Evo 8 with mild mods?
Old Oct 18, 2009 | 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

There is also Blitz and Tomei cams as well to consider.
Old Nov 29, 2009 | 05:25 AM

Kelford FTW!
Old Dec 1, 2009 | 09:48 AM
Former Sponsor

GSC or Kelfords! If you need a price, let me know!

Michael
Old Dec 1, 2009 | 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

I am considering Kelfords too, but more options/opinions would be nice
Old Dec 1, 2009 | 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

If you are staying with the stock turbo don't do any cams!

The stock ones work fine for the stock turbo, it won't be worth the gains.

With labor and Cam cost you mind as well do a new turbo, if you are worried about spool do an FP green or DOm2 and you will see way better gains all around.

MIVEC tuning pretty much maximizes gains on the stock cams and all you will really see are some decent midrange gains. But for the price you could get a new turbo and see gains everywhere with barely any loss in spool. Then add cams later.

EDIT: Stay away from BC cams, they had terrible results in older Evo's and you almost always get what you pay for. No one has posted any results yet, so until anyone does I would never do something like cams without seeing good results. And would never go with cams that cheap unless many people showed great results.
Old Feb 19, 2010 | 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

I think its time to bring this thread back to life, since its been a few months.

So why do you guys say that BC are so horrible? From what i've been reading the people that have them seem to have good results. maybe some people that have them can chime in.

see, here's what i'm thinking, people that buy the lower cost cams are probably going to install them themselves too.... now, that doesn't mean you are mechanically inclined to do so, but they still do it to save money. i'm assuming is more of an user error or something rather than the cams. How can the actual cams not be good? thanks guys, i'm just looking into buying some real soon and i can get a great discount from BC too.
Old Feb 19, 2010 | 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

I'd vote Kelford 214-B $750+$250 springs or the Jun's $1600 with Ti springs/retainers
Old Feb 19, 2010 | 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilverEvoX
I'd vote Kelford 214-B $750+$250 springs or the Jun's $1600 with Ti springs/retainers
why?
Old Feb 19, 2010 | 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Don't waste your time with BC cams. In many applications I would have better results with the STOCK CAMS>
why do you say don't waste your time? how so?

also, does anyone if installing these are a pain in the ***? or something special that needs to be done? i saw the video on youtube about the 4b11 and it says you have to adjust the valve spacing if replacing cams with some sort of spacer or something. is this correct? as you can see i'm gonna have help from someone that has done it multiple times but i don't know if it's different for the evo x.

Last edited by criptballer; Feb 19, 2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010 | 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by criptballer
I think its time to bring this thread back to life, since its been a few months.

So why do you guys say that BC are so horrible? From what i've been reading the people that have them seem to have good results. maybe some people that have them can chime in.
^+1

We need more data points and real dyno results before we can say these cams are trash on the X. From what I've seen, only 1 shop (DG) has posted any results with the BC cams and they were pretty strong!
Old Feb 19, 2010 | 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by supergengo
From what I've seen, only 1 shop (DG) has posted any results with the BC cams and they were pretty strong!
BC has a terrible reputation on the Evo 8/9. That stigma was probably carried forward.

Quick Reply: who is seeing better gains in what cams. . .