Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Timing Chain going bad

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2009, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain going bad

So I just got my engine rebuilt and all of a sudden my timing chain is making a gurgling noise much like this sound clip I found in the first link in the link below:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1127339

I've been hearing the noise for the past week and EDO has agreed to replace it this Saturday (would be sooner but parts are on backorder at Mitsubishi). In the meantime I've had to drive it. Since I'm still breaking in my engine it's under no boost and low RPMs.

Question - is this going to cause any damage to my engine or anything else for that matter? In addition, it has been very hard lately to get into reverse gear...maybe it has something to do with the chain? Or maybe not...

Last edited by wilbdog; Oct 27, 2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 04:04 PM

I highly doubt that there is anything wrong with the chain. It's likely that the ratcheting chain slack adjuster is not tensioning the chain properly or someone forgot to install one of the nylon chain guides properly, or at all. You have to be aware that if the chain is to loose, it could skip a tooth on either the crank gear or one of the cam gears, but I highly doubt this would happen if you drive it normally.

The reverse issue you are experiencing has NOTHING to do with the timing chain problem.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 04:06 PM

As far as my knowledge goes the timing chain will have no effect on the tranny (2 different systems). If you rebuilt your engine im assuming you drive alot could be synchros or possible clutch. The timing chain depending on the play can do damage to the guides and if the play is really bad can damage the timing chain cover.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Why do you think the timing chain needs to be replaced? Did the car ever run without this noise after your engine was rebuilt? I don't mean to point fingers but my gut reaction is to question the quality of the engine rebuild, not a part failure.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

The noise could've easily been there to begin with, but it was probably so faint I didn't notice if it was. However, we never replaced the timing chain so the chain could've been stretched out when I had the engine failure. I'm not here to point fingers I'm here to make sure my engine is going to be safe, and from the sound of it I don't have to worry too much as long as the chain doesn't break...which is very hard to do under normal driving conditions.

This thread is done for now, thanks for the input guys!
Old Oct 28, 2009, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe ot, but why did your engine need to be replaced?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

read up...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-rebuild.html