Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Meth?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meth?

Has anyone got a meth kit on their Evo? Just interested in how it handles on the X's?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the aem kit with fp red, mx1 cams pushing 390 whp and 335wtq on 91+ 50/50 meth.

kl
Old Nov 10, 2009, 05:40 PM
Account Disabled

been hearing really good things about them cft mad crazy power like 420 whp on stock turbo with aem meth kit..
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo a Mula
been hearing really good things about them cft mad crazy power like 420 whp on stock turbo with aem meth kit..

dont believe everything you read !
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by solarevo
dont believe everything you read !
Doubt they photochopped a graph.

And I hate to be "that guy" but search and you'll find a few success stories with Meth so far. No one seems to have written up an install, but there is one fellow on here that took pictures of how he got everything put in.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 01:59 AM
Evolving Member

I can’t say how well it works on the Evo X specifically but I have put meth injection on a number of my boosted vehicles and gauging by what straight 100% meth did on thoughts cars with pump (94) gas, I could easily see an Evo X with bolt-ons/stock turbo putting down 400whp on a Mustang dyno.
The closest example (engine wise) I could give is, I had a sunfire with a T3/T4E turbo feeding into a roots supercharger (twin charged) making 420whp on a mustang dyno with only 20psi into the engine. The engine was a 2.4L (so only 0.4L bigger) with 8.5:1 (slightly less than the X) compression and it was on 94 octane/ 100% meth. The other car I used it on is a 87 GNX which I am having tuned this Saturday and with the set up I am running I am able to have 4 different tunes and I am having one of them with just 94 and no meth and one of the other ones with 94 and a 50/50 spray of meth. So I will post up thoughts results so you guys can see how much it actually helps boosted engines.

Also spraying meth into your engine not only acts as a VERY GOOD octane booster which is one reason why you make more power with it, but it cleans your internals and makes them almost spot less. If you ever tear down your engine after running meth for a while, it will look like you barely ran the engine which helps with carbon build up which occurs over time and causes hot spots on your pistons which in turn causes knocking.

- Cleans internals
- Acts as a octane booster
- Cools the air an insane amount if 100% meth is used

Trust me it’s worth it lol. You don’t even need to get a tune done to see the benefits of meth, although like an intake or any other mod, a tune will give you the best results and gauging on how picky the Evo X is to mods, I wouldn’t run much more than a 50/50 spray if you’re not going to be tuned with it because it does add that much more going from a 50/50 mix to 100%

Anyway that’s my rant on meth injection… take a look at my sig and you will see I run a number of boosted cars and I swear by meth injection.

It may be an old evo, but you get the idea... 437whp on a stock Evo 9 turbo on the mustang dyno! as well..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkEqRWEOF78

- 2007 Z06 with Lingenfelter 800hp Twin Turbo kit
- 2006 Yamaha R6 - stock
- 2002 WS6 Trans Am - bolt-ons, 400whp
- 2002 Sunfire - TwinCharged (turbo into roots superchasrger) 420whp
- 1987 Buick GNX #200 700whp

Last edited by Freebs; Nov 12, 2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

^so when will you be adding meth to your X?

To the OP - it will "handle" on the X the same way it "handles" on other cars. The trick is tuning it appropriately (I mention this as I have no context on X tuning). As Freebs states, meth will cool your intake charge, clean your internals, and also boost your octane.

In WA we have 92 at the pump. Where I live (more North) the gas is pretty bad and doing anything substantial caused issues with knock which would in turn retard timing. Ethanol is not an option where I am located so detuning the car or meth were the 2 options. Of course I wasn't going to detune, so I chose meth!

I was at ~400whp on the stock IX turbo+all bolt-ons+M2's (though my buddy was at 420whp) and I am at ~500whp on the Red. Both at ~30psi. If I had something other than the stock motor I would turn the boost up to 35psi.

Anyway, good luck!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 03:17 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
To the OP meth is a great add on to any build. As long as it's installed properly and has failsafes that will work with your tune. I plan to install meth after the new year and I think I would like to break the 500 mark on my stock motor.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 03:29 AM
Evolved Member

^totally doable, DBallz. There are 3 of us in the PNW that are doing this now on a similar setup as yours and another 2 or 3 that are close. One guy that is more modded is at 520whp.

BTW - you bring up a good point: failsafes. Make sure to run a good failsafe so you don't blow anything if an issue occurs (pump stops working, meth leak, forgot to add meth, etc.)
Old Nov 12, 2009, 04:00 AM
Evolving Member

i got the snow performance, ****s amazing on the track!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yahu
^so when will you be adding meth to your X?

To the OP - it will "handle" on the X the same way it "handles" on other cars. The trick is tuning it appropriately (I mention this as I have no context on X tuning). As Freebs states, meth will cool your intake charge, clean your internals, and also boost your octane.

In WA we have 92 at the pump. Where I live (more North) the gas is pretty bad and doing anything substantial caused issues with knock which would in turn retard timing. Ethanol is not an option where I am located so detuning the car or meth were the 2 options. Of course I wasn't going to detune, so I chose meth!

I was at ~400whp on the stock IX turbo+all bolt-ons+M2's (though my buddy was at 420whp) and I am at ~500whp on the Red. Both at ~30psi. If I had something other than the stock motor I would turn the boost up to 35psi.

Anyway, good luck!

I am thinking around X-mas time. The evo is my daily driver so it is going to stay pretty stock so that's why I haven’t gone to crazy with the mods on it. Also it’s going to be the same time I get the ultimate racing UICP and LICP so that I can have a bung welded up to the LICP so that I can screw the injector into it.

One thing I am scared of and it seems to be hit and miss on some cars, but I always like to use a throttle body spacer (the ones you see that claim better gas mileage) and I drill in the side of it and screw the injector into that, this way it sprays after the throttle body as I have screwed up TPS and IAC sensors with alky leaking down the shaft of the butterfly valve. But so far I have not been able to find any throttle body spacers for the X, so I might just get one made up. This way also provides a much better spray pattern which allows the alky to atomize better because the butterfly valve in the throttle body won’t disrupt the cone spray pattern. Just something else to think about when putting this in, even though I have yet to hear of an issue on the EvoX with this but you never know, over time problems might start popping up.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

^good info. I personally have meth spraying in on the upper and so far no signs of leaking.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yahu
^good info. I personally have meth spraying in on the upper and so far no signs of leaking.
You're spraying on the UICP, pre-intercooler?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:40 PM

I am looking into going to meth too. I love the results that everyone gets from it. However I dont know much on how to run meth. Can anyone give me more info on whats needed?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotdog
You're spraying on the UICP, pre-intercooler?
upper pipe as in before the charge is directed into the IM

Quick Reply: Meth?