Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anyone know where the oil relief valve is located?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2009, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know where the oil relief valve is located?

Help!!! I'm suspecting that there is an issue with my oil pressure being too high. I need to know where the oil relief valve is for the oil pump. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 08:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Why do you think your oil PSI is too high?

Might be a problem with the OIL filter. If the relief valve failed on the filter.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 08:17 PM

That could be true. Currently, I'm using a fram filter, but tomorrow I'm going to pick up a stock one from Mitsu. I still would like to know where the oil pressure relief valve is. I know there is a relief valve for the oil cooler but I don't know if that is the only one for the whole system.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xcited
That could be true. Currently, I'm using a fram filter, but tomorrow I'm going to pick up a stock one from Mitsu. I still would like to know where the oil pressure relief valve is. I know there is a relief valve for the oil cooler but I don't know if that is the only one for the whole system.
just a piece of advice: fram is the WORST filter you can ever get.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 08:25 PM

I've used them in the past without any issues.

Does anyone know where the oil pump pressure relief valve is??
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:14 PM
Account Disabled

Here is my story about FRAM. About a year ago. I borrowed my GF Yaris to go run some errands. 1.5L of furry. I had was leaving a stop light and gave it some gas. That's when I heard a loud pop then the oil light came on. The FRAM filter (which her dad used during the oil change) exploded off the car. Literally, blew off. The threading, the filter everything was gone. Along with 4qt. of oil on the road. Needless to say. The pressure relieve valve failed on the filter. A known issue with FRAM filters.

I will never again use a FRAM filter on anything motorized. The car was luckily okay, I shut it off just in time.

So I suggest it maybe your oil filter failing or failed and you are headed for a disaster.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah... anybody who uses a Fram filter on an Evo should be forced to relinquish their keys.

And you're going to have to drop the whole oil pan to get to the relief valve on the oil pump... not a trivial job at all.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
So does anyone have a recomendation on what is a better oil filter? I have always used fram, and never had any problem. I don't over torque them and an **** about my oil changes though too.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kozmic27
So does anyone have a recomendation on what is a better oil filter? I have always used fram, and never had any problem. I don't over torque them and an **** about my oil changes though too.
Any oil filter EXCEPT Fram. Seriously.

Bosch, Mobil 1, K&N, NAPA Gold, WIX, and the best deal of them all... OEM Mitsu I pay under $7 for a filter from the dealership. Can't go wrong with that.

There is absolutely no excuse to use a piece of **** Fram filter on an engine that would cost thousands of dollars to rebuild after you bust a filter, oil starve the engine, and spin a rod bearing or two.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 02:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_EvoX
Yeah... anybody who uses a Fram filter on an Evo should be forced to relinquish their keys.

And you're going to have to drop the whole oil pan to get to the relief valve on the oil pump... not a trivial job at all.
hm i figure if the guy's lucky it'd be near the filter mount...too bad.

Originally Posted by kozmic27
mobil1, oem, purolator pureone, and bosch premium are the only ones i would ever recommend. you can google any oil filter test with fram in it, they would all tell you it filters like crap. as if that doesn't convince you, buy a fram filter and cut one up, and tell me the filtration material doesn't look like a stack of cardboards.

let's put it this way - if i walk into a store and all they have in stock are fram filters, and the nearest joint with a different brand filter is about 40 miles away, i'm not hesitating - i'm driving 40 miles.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Dude get the K&N filter. I am using it and it is great. Removing it is soo easy as it has a 1" easy wrench off nut that makes life easy for the next oil change. The filter looks really high quality and fitment is dead on.

For the Evo X, the filter size is HP-1010. Get it at any reputable auto parts store and enjoy. Puralator is cheap ****.. Imo.. Nothing but the best for your baby.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by prodigy1210
Puralator is cheap ****.. Imo.. Nothing but the best for your baby.
purolator is cheap, but purolator pureONE is another class. it's one of the best you can buy.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:11 AM

mobile 1 oil + mobile 1 filter
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:21 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by unethikl
mobile 1 oil + mobile 1 filter
I use this on my car. No issues at all.

M1 filter is very good.
Purolator PureONE is very good.
AMSOIL filter is very good.
K&N filter is good, I had issues in the past with the oil seal leaking.
WIX filter is good
NAPA GOLD filter is good.
BOSCH filter is good.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
I use this on my car. No issues at all.

M1 filter is very good.
Purolator PureONE is very good.
AMSOIL filter is very good.
K&N filter is good, I had issues in the past with the oil seal leaking.
WIX filter is good
NAPA GOLD filter is good.
BOSCH filter is good.
Do you have any data to back this up or is this your personal thoughts? Where does the OEM filter fall on your chart? I dont remember who makes mitsu filters...it may be bosch but I dont remember.

Quick Reply: Anyone know where the oil relief valve is located?