Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Edmund's ACD runs dry... $4500 to replace.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edmund's ACD runs dry... $4500 to replace.

Scary piece on Edmund's Evo X blog, has me sort of worried. Their car has the basic full mod list which many of us have as well, and I'm wondering if anyone on these boards have run into the same type of issue. Seems like the seal has failed, causing the ACD and transfer case fluids to mix...

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...mktid=cj260233
Old Dec 10, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is scary news.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Couple things you have to remember. This car came to IL already modded by AMS. I believe this was the car that was moddified by AMS when they visited (along with the silver MR) and were preproduction units. I cant find the info on IL's car but i think it was modded under the supervision of at the same time they did this one:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/au...itsubishi.html

Who knows what happened to it between AMS prototyping it and IL acquiring it. RRE also did a clutch/flywheel job on it. It is possible that the break down happened due to something else other than the mods. IL staff might have launched it a few dozen times. Its hard to say.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

How hard is it to take a glance at your reservior every once in awhile
Old Dec 10, 2009, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
I just saw this, I dunno. Pretty freak occurrence it looks like, wonder what went wrong
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The lower compression fitting on my power steering column started leaking on me about a month ago, they replaced the parts under warranty but it seems odd why a compression fitting that I never got close to would end up failing. You can bet that I watch that fluid level like a hawk now too. :P
Old Dec 11, 2009, 04:43 PM

Ha.. scary.. look what edmunds just posted on their blog. A faxed copy of the warrany procedure for repairs costing over $400. Also, I guess now we know for a fact there is a flash counter... awesome.

Last edited by F1312T4; Dec 11, 2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by F1312T4
Ha.. scary.. look what edmunds just posted on their blog. A faxed copy of the warrany procedure for repairs costing over $400. Also, I guess now we know for a fact there is a flash counter... awesome.
Where is a flash counter stated? All I read was that they check to see if the car has an aftermarket reflash. If you have something like AP just reflash the factory settings before returning the car to the dealership.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

The $400 and $500 limits seem low for this kind of thorough policy. So now we really have to watch out even for minor issues... I'm anxious to see the outcome with their dealership once they get the car serviced without the modifications.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XRims
The $400 and $500 limits seem low for this kind of thorough policy. So now we really have to watch out even for minor issues... I'm anxious to see the outcome with their dealership once they get the car serviced without the modifications.
i know, like "any" powertrain repair would be under $500. i think even replacing a worn bushing would have cost north of $300 to boot.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:32 AM
Evolving Member

I was just in Barnes and Noble reading a European magazine that mods GTR's and Evo X and STI's, or was showing vendors cars that were modded. Anyway, they had a Evo X with nitrous and a Forced Performance turbo upgrade, and other mods, that was at 650 awhp. What was interesting is that they specifically upgraded the CENTER DIFFERENTIAL b/c they said the pins/shims (?) are weak on the CENTER diff, vs. the other diffs, and they didn't want to take a chance. They supposedly drive the car real hard, so perhaps there will be future Evo X vendors offering a quick fix for the center diff. ?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Farmerbob
I was just in Barnes and Noble reading a European magazine that mods GTR's and Evo X and STI's, or was showing vendors cars that were modded. Anyway, they had a Evo X with nitrous and a Forced Performance turbo upgrade, and other mods, that was at 650 awhp. What was interesting is that they specifically upgraded the CENTER DIFFERENTIAL b/c they said the pins/shims (?) are weak on the CENTER diff, vs. the other diffs, and they didn't want to take a chance. They supposedly drive the car real hard, so perhaps there will be future Evo X vendors offering a quick fix for the center diff. ?
Buschur has this fix already I beleive.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:22 AM
Former Sponsor

I will sell this before 60,000 miles I beat on it and don't check anything, let the next slob worry about it.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by strocse
I will sell this before 60,000 miles I beat on it and don't check anything, let the next slob worry about it.
I hope you don't try to sell it in the forums here
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:36 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by strocse
Heh, yah since most people on the forums look for past posts to find any issues with the cars

Quick Reply: Edmund's ACD runs dry... $4500 to replace.