Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

TurboXS downpipe initial impressions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2009 | 12:47 AM
Evolved Member

TurboXS downpipe initial impressions

Hello all,
I, and a friend of mine have been out installing the downpipe from my TBE. It's actually a Christmas present, but due to my friend being very busy around that time, we decided to install the downpipe since it seems to be the hardest part of the system. My impressions of the piping itself are.

Brand: TurboXS
Price paid: 689.00
Where purchased: Spun Autosports
Shipping: 2 days to my door

It seems to be very good quality feeling sturdy and like it will be a durable piece over the long haul. While i'm not a welding expert by any means, they seem to look very nicely done to me. The part fits just as it should... however when it comes to the install.. WHAT A B****!!! I don't think it is limited to just this system. I did not remove the o2 housing like many have because I didn't want to risk snapping the bolts off in the turbine housing. Removing the bolts to the downpipe weren't easy, but with some extensions and a universal with someone to up top to help guide the bolts it makes the job pretty easy. The problem is that the new pipe is so much bigger that the same set-up cannot be used... at least not on the passenger side bolt... it is VERY difficult to get turned in and I don't care if someone comes on here and tells me it's the cheapest downpipe and sucks or whatever I will NEVER do that job again lol.

I have had a custom tune with no mods, so i'll be flashing back to stock with the new downpipe and just keeping it like that until I can offically put the rest of the piping on, and then flash to stage 2.

Overall IMO, I got a great quality exhaust for 1/3rd of the cost that is going to make just as much, or close to as much power as the many outrageously priced systems.

My last mods will be an UICP (Ultimate Racing) and green panel filter. I may consider an intercooler and a LICP (although I hear they don't make that much more power) another custom tune and that will be about it.
Old Dec 13, 2009 | 03:41 AM
EvoM Guru

pics or it didn't happen
Old Dec 13, 2009 | 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
pics or it didn't happen
oh you know what man... I didn't even think to take any pics... yeah I got it put on and it's good to go. No pics of the installation, but i'll get a few together of it put in and post them up later on!
Old Dec 13, 2009 | 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Can you describe the difference in size between the stock and turboxs?
Old Dec 13, 2009 | 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Golden
Can you describe the difference in size between the stock and turboxs?
I really should have taken a picture of it, but I didn't even think about it. Hmmm, well the stock one has heat shields all over the place, so the size is difficult to describe, but it's pretty substantial. The bolts were longer and the way the bolts go in at an angle and the pipe being 3" is just very hard to get any sort of ratchet, or wrench in there at all.

I actually had a cheap wrench that I cut in half and just made little turns on the passanger side bolt to get it tightened down (with the box end). The drivers side can be reached with several extensions and a universal though, so that part was good at least lol.
Old Dec 13, 2009 | 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Is this just a downpipe or is it an o2 eliminator downpipe? I'm a bit confused with the description?
Old Dec 13, 2009 | 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
Is this just a downpipe or is it an o2 eliminator downpipe? I'm a bit confused with the description?
downpipe
Old Dec 13, 2009 | 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

You paid $700 for a downpipe? Just the downpipe? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but...why?
Old Dec 13, 2009 | 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

You paid $700 for a downpipe? Just the downpipe? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but...why?
I, and a friend of mine have been out installing the downpipe from my TBE. It's actually a Christmas present, but due to my friend being very busy around that time, we decided to install the downpipe since it seems to be the hardest part of the system. My impressions of the piping itself are.

not trying to be a jerk, but did you everything? lol
Old Dec 13, 2009 | 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

That doesn't make sense but OK. Enjoy your $700 TurboXS downpipe.
Old Dec 13, 2009 | 05:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah when I first read it I saw $700 downpipe.

But you must mean $700 DBE?
Old Dec 13, 2009 | 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
Yeah when I first read it I saw $700 downpipe.

But you must mean $700 DBE?
I put that I installed the downpipe out of my TBE that was a Christmas present.
Old Dec 13, 2009 | 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

That doesn't make sense but OK. Enjoy your $700 TurboXS downpipe.
you know what man, you're always giving me **** on here and it's getting pretty old so **** you and stay out of my threads.
Old Dec 13, 2009 | 05:09 PM
EvoM Guru

it's ok dude - chill....

thats pretty decent, in AU we get stung 2k+ for the TurboXS DBE
Old Dec 13, 2009 | 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

here's pics of the set up... the passenger side bolt you might be able to see is right up against the DP

underneath

here's how the bolt had to be turned in...

pic of the cat delete pipe next to the OE DP... you can see the size difference here sort of...

Last edited by Methodical4u; Dec 13, 2009 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: TurboXS downpipe initial impressions