Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ets, perrin, ur, or ams intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by St1g
personally i am between ams and the ets units... and i know it's kinda silly, but i don't like the fact that ams stamps their logo in front. i hate cop attention. if ams offered to leave off their logo, this would have been a much easier decision. but anyway, good for ets i guess.
Ahhh seriously?
Originally Posted by Andrew@AMS
Options

* Available with or without an AMS logo stenciled on the core
I'm getting an AMS fmic soon and will get it coated with Swain Tech's BBE... even better option than anodizing.

Swain Tech's BBE > Anodizing > Spray painting > Powder coating
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ets, i noticed that your ic's have anodizing options. the black anodizing is quite tempting. but i was wondering, does the anodizing affect heat transfer at all?

personally i am between ams and the ets units... and i know it's kinda silly, but i don't like the fact that ams stamps their logo in front. i hate cop attention. if ams offered to leave off their logo, this would have been a much easier decision. but anyway, good for ets i guess.
I don't notice it at all as I have had their 1G black anodized FMIC kit on my DSM for over 2 years now.
Solid construction and a breeze to install
Will probably go with the ETS core again when I upgrade
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
Ahhh seriously?
yeah man. noticed you're in IL. completely different in CA. i've been tailed by cops 3mi. i've even been tailed into parking lots, and the cop would wait until i exit the car before taking off. i set cruise control at 70mph, and though people will honk and tailgate, i still don't "speed," and even at these extremes, i still get harassed a few times a year. point record is totally clean though. heck just last month i was pulled over in las vegas--cop didn't even tell me why before telling me nice car, wash it more, and then letting me go (i was driving 30mph, which was under the speed limit!).

EDIT: Oh! My mistake... saw you quoted AMS saying it's available without the stencil. Nice! Thanks... sorry, my bad.

Last edited by St1g; Jan 29, 2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EDIT: Oh! My mistake... saw you quoted AMS saying it's available without the stencil. Nice! Thanks... sorry, my bad.
No problem!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 08:52 AM

how much for 4'' intercooler shipped to 60008?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 08:59 AM

how much for 4'' intercooler shipped to 60008??
Originally Posted by ETS Michael
Sending you a PM now
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
Can someone elaborate on teh comment about Perrin tapering down on the pipes above?
The PERRIN intercooler pipes actually don't taper down, they are 2.5" and while the casting might make the opening a little smaller, it doesn't hurt flow.

Saying it would hurt flow would be like saying the compressor housing hurts flow, because, for example, it's 2", while that's not the case. Our FMICs for Subarus has a 2.25" inlet and there are cars running over 600WHP with our cores!

Plus, some of the OEM boost tubes are smaller than 2.5".
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

no brainer Perrin all the way! i absolutely love mine!
Old Feb 12, 2010, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

What type of coating is on the Perrin? I noticed that even the gray one is coated. (Which explains why the black one doesn't cost extra.)
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:01 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I think it's just paint? At least it was on my VIII perrin FMIC. Scratched off pretty easily.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Golden
What type of coating is on the Perrin? I noticed that even the gray one is coated. (Which explains why the black one doesn't cost extra.)
It's powdercoated, and it holds up pretty well to rocks. It won't scratch unless it's rubbed by metal or something sharp. We powder the center not so thick so it doesn't go too far into the core.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 05:32 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris
It's powdercoated, and it holds up pretty well to rocks. It won't scratch unless it's rubbed by metal or something sharp. We powder the center not so thick so it doesn't go too far into the core.
That's exactly what happened to my Perrin... the crash bar barely rubbed the top and put a huge scratch in it (my brand new FMIC). I was pretty bummed but it wasn't noticeable once the front bumper was on. I felt it scatched a little easier than it should have though. Oh well.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Does anyone have before and after dyno charts of their setup? I am looking into buying a FMIC and dont know wich one to go for.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

I got my Perrin, cause it was used and cheaper! love it, but the install was a little more difficult because of the mount bracket is different then the stock FMIC. Its got an L bracket at the bottom instead of 2 bolts!
Old Feb 18, 2010, 06:19 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by monkey_187
Does anyone have before and after dyno charts of their setup? I am looking into buying a FMIC and dont know wich one to go for.
ETS has dyno runs with their intercooler...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ts-thread.html

Quick Reply: Ets, perrin, ur, or ams intercooler?