Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ets, perrin, ur, or ams intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ets, perrin, ur, or ams intercooler?

First off I did a search and got back 10 pages that I looked at! Now the question, which intercooler would you or did you go with and why if you dont mind. These are the intercoolers that I'm looking at, on the ETS it would be the 4 inch.

update below

Last edited by livnpaintball2; Jan 29, 2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
You probably wont go wrong with any of them really but. ETS's CS is seriously industry leading. Those guy's really take care of their customers and back their product 100%
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
those guy's really take care of their customers and back their product 100%
lol
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

I decided on the Buschur Racing FMIC which is essentially the same as the UR piece. Exact dimensions, 4.5" Garrett core with proprietary endtanks. It will take quite a bit to heatsoak this core. Simply put...you cannot go wrong with a Garrett product.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well here is the honest truth. I myself would go with the ETS. But I will say this. All of the brands you are asking about are all very good. All these companies have great customer service, their products are great, fitment is good, and they all stand behind their name. To be honest with you, it doesnt matter which intercooler you go wth, bottom line is you will be getting a great product either way. So what it boils down to is which one you think looks the best lol. Because they all perform great.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63K
lol
Bad experience??
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Look up the DTM Intercooler.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

We live in a 'bigger is better' world. I went with the Perrin, which is only 3.6". I've read that it is large enough for 600+hp. The guys running 4.5" are definitely in overkill mode.

If this is a race car then go all out...if it is street car then I'd buy on price. The Perrin is very reasonably priced since it is sold through at least one large discount reseller. PM me if you'd like to know where I bought mine.

Last edited by mlomker; Dec 14, 2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

I would go with ETS 4". Just installed it over the weekend. 4.5" is really big, but then you must modify some stuff on the car to make it fit. I did not want to cut anything.

I liked Perrin, but they are pricier and I heard some people having pipe fitment issues.
AMS is too expensive for me. Explain to me why powder coating UICP costs $10 at ETS and $40 at AMS??? Same for the LICP. Same process!!!

Can't go wrong with garrett product? That is what we all thought. Then peoples wastegates started coming out through the exhaust, just ask Hiboost. Granted FMIC are easier to develop than turbo upgrades, but if your company is known for Turbos???

Sorry, but that statement about Garrett was just dumb
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
The ETS intercooler is 20" wide and fills the grill with core. Other intercoolers on the market use an 18" core which does not fill the grill and shows end tank.

When building an intercooler one of the first things to look at is Surface Area. The next would be thickness, then end tank design (most will be similar on a direct replacement)

We found the following gains.

3.0" = 12whp over stock
3.5" = 17whp over stock
4.0" = 24whp over stock (This would be my choice)

Thanks!

Michael
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chriswolf81
Explain to me why powder coating UICP costs $10 at ETS and $40 at AMS??? Same for the LICP. Same process!!!
From my understanding ETS paints their intercooler piping, AMS sends the piping out to be powdercoated. Different process.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chriswolf81
Can't go wrong with garrett product? That is what we all thought. Then peoples wastegates started coming out through the exhaust, just ask Hiboost. Granted FMIC are easier to develop than turbo upgrades, but if your company is known for Turbos???

Sorry, but that statement about Garrett was just dumb
Your comments concerning Garrett are just plain stupid. Do you realize you're bad mouthing one of the oldest and most trusted turbocharger manufacturers in the WORLD on the count of one rushed, poorly R&D'd Evo X product? Their intercooler cores are simply some of the best in the industry, by far, and their GT line of turbos has been the benchmark for all race turbos for the past decade.

Educate yourself before you try to bash a company like Garrett.

Yeah they dropped the ball with their Evo X drop-ins (hence why I ended up not buying one, nor would even consider buying one), but the rest of their products have proven themselves to be top notch in OEM, racing, and industrial applications. Can the same be said for any of the other manufacturers of turbos or intercooler cores here? LOL many of them use Garrett components in both anyway.

Your comments were just asinine, I'm not going to argue any further, you can take my post FWIW.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

I am certain you know absolutely nothing about failure rates and their projective manifestations so I'm not even going to match wits with you. Yeah, listen to them. Go with ETS...and then when you change your mind and cancel your order due to a sliding back in stock date, they'll keep the transaction fees they were "charged" by Visa. Classy right? I'm sorry, but insinuating that Honeywell isn't a legitimate engineering firm is dumb...real dumb. If that's the case, you must have a lot to say about that "POS" UR o2 eliminator downpipe you have on your car because that piece has cracked with regularity. I can assure you of that.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:27 AM
Former Sponsor

ETS All the way
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
I am certain you know absolutely nothing about failure rates and their projective manifestations so I'm not even going to match wits with you. Yeah, listen to them. Go with ETS...and then when you change your mind and cancel your order due to a sliding back in stock date, they'll keep the transaction fees they were "charged" by Visa. Classy right? I'm sorry, but insinuating that Honeywell isn't a legitimate engineering firm is dumb...real dumb. If that's the case, you must have a lot to say about that "POS" UR o2 eliminator downpipe you have on your car because that piece has cracked with regularity. I can assure you of that.
OH SNAP! beat down going on here!!! Im still undecided.....

Quick Reply: Ets, perrin, ur, or ams intercooler?