Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boring out a 4B11 motor????

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 02:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boring out a 4B11 motor????

Well here's a quick run down of things.... 1st original motor in my X blew due to over boosting. Over boosting was caused by one of the lines to my wastegates melting.
At the time due to cost and time, I bought a short block from the dealer, instead of rebuilding the original block. Now with this new block I ran into more problems once again.
Here is my original thread with more details and pics of exactly what happened.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ut-issues.html

1st motor can ONLY be fixed by installing sleeves but problem with that is that it is out of my budget at the moment. So I was thinking to getting pistons and rods and installing them into block #2. Only thing is, when the pistons cracked they left light marks in the cylinder walls. So I was thinking of just boring out the motor and going 86.mm bore.
I had someone look at the motor and they said they are about 90% sure that going 86.5mm would clean up the walls but to also remember that there is also that chance that it won't and I might have to go 87mm bore. He then also mentioned that if that was the case that it would be risky since the walls might be too think but he also mentioned he is not too sure since he does not know anything about this motor and the construction of it.

SO.............. my question to all those that can help, if worse case I would need to bore my block to 87MM, would I run any risk at all? He mentioned that at 87MM he doesn't really think that the motor will be safe enough to run high boost.

Please help me out with any info possible.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 03:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if the sleeves are anything like the stock sleeves on a k20a, the biggest ill bore it it 86.5

but it all depends on how much steel you have to work with

on some these aluminum blocks, such as the k20a, the block is cast around steel sleeves which arent that thick thus the need to sleeve the block of you go outside the service limit

im sure someone can chime in here on what the servie limit is on the 4b11t

i know guys that run 87mm on a k, but thats all motor and that is still riding on really thin steel at that point, any further and youll be into the aluminum