Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

upgrade transmission cooler for MR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
upgrade transmission cooler for MR

Has anyone tested either the AMS (mounts in OEM location) or SSP (mounts in front of intercooler) transimmsion coolers at a road course. Last summer I got the dredded "SLOW DOWN" warning at every track event. I will buy a cooler before this years driving season but want to make sure that the Cooler I purcahse will sovle the overheating problem. I like the fact the AMS cooler mounts in the OEM location but am concerned that it will not be a big enough improvement to solve the probelm.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just take out the fog lights and run a air duct to the trans cooler to help, couldnt hurt
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took out the fog light and attached a fan to the back of the oem cooler but transmission fluid still get too hot and the "slow down" error still is tripped. At this point I know I need a real upgrade if i want to drive at closed cicuit track events.

AMS offers a cooler that holds an extra 0.5 quart and has a full time fan attached. This setup is mounted in the EOM location. http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...ooler-Kit.html

South side performance offers an even larger cooler that moounts in front of the intercooler. It holds an extra 1.0 quarts and also has a fan. This setup comes with a high volume pump insteady of the OEM setup. to ensure a constant rate of flow to the cooler. SSP also offers a large trans. oil pan to increase fluid capacity.

I just want to find people that have installed these of these coolers to verify if the work for my application. As a hobby, I am an instructor performance driving school.