Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Downpipe/02 removal help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Downpipe/02 removal help

I'm having trouble getting the stock head shield removed that is underneath the Downpipe. I believe this shield needs to be removed so that you can get to that lone bolt that is the only one out of the 5 that is in the opposite direction.

There are 2 bolts on the bottom of the DP that holds the heatshield on, how in the f do you get at them? No socket fits in there and I've been trying to get at it w/ a box end (ratchet syle) wrench on there and just dont have enough room. Are there additional pieces I should remove to get at it? I havent removed the cross brace but I dont see that giving me that much more room. I also tried bending the shield out of the way to get at it better but still cant get a good bite.

Tried searching some but couldnt find any techniques other than people noting how much of a pain in the **** this thing is... man is it. I already broke the front 02 sensor, that was a $400 curse word right there. Any help is appreciated.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
racheting wrench?
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:34 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check this: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...placement.html

Click on the "how-to" link in that thread.

Or, try this one: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tallation.html

Or, here's a quick search I did (did Advanced Search; put in "downpipe" and chose the "how-to Evo X" section) with plenty of results: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...rchid=12308311
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jwoodzx7r
There are 2 bolts on the bottom of the DP that holds the heatshield on, how in the f do you get at them? No socket fits in there and I've been trying to get at it w/ a box end (ratchet syle) wrench on there and just dont have enough room.
I got them with a ratcheting box end. The issue is leverage. My cousin ended up wrapping a nylon tow strap around the wrench and then around his neck--then use your legs on the underside of the car to push off....

Yeah, those are tough. We did remove the brace and everything else that'd give us some space.

Last edited by mlomker; Jan 16, 2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
we did one yesterday with the 2 wrench method... they are a pain for sure, but honestly... if i ever did anything like that to a X, id upgrade the turbo at the same time. It is such a pain in the dingaling, i'd only want to go in there once
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
i'd only want to go in there once
The aftermarket dp is so easy to remove, though, that it doesn't matter. It's getting those bulky, heavy stock pieces out of there that is the problem. I've got all kinds of clearance now that the aftermarket dp is on there.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by atombomb33
Check this: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...placement.html

Click on the "how-to" link in that thread.

Or, try this one: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tallation.html

Or, here's a quick search I did (did Advanced Search; put in "downpipe" and chose the "how-to Evo X" section) with plenty of results: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...rchid=12308311

thanks, I'll take a look through some of em. I'm not sure about wrapping a tow strap around the neck... I'd be afraid I'd actually hang myself with how frustrating this thing is.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by bigric09
we did one yesterday with the 2 wrench method... they are a pain for sure, but honestly... if i ever did anything like that to a X, id upgrade the turbo at the same time. It is such a pain in the dingaling, i'd only want to go in there once
I'm sure I've used the "2 wrench method" unknowingly but what do you mean? Putting a box end on the end of the wrench actaully on the bolt for more leverage? Thanks for the feedback guys... now just need to get another 02 sensor from RussellM
Old Jan 16, 2010, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's the same heatshield I'm thinking of, while underneath the car stick your right arm in through the wheel well. Seems impossible to do, but there is enough wiggle room to get it through. But, unless you are very strong, you need a longer wrench to give more leverage. I got a set of ratcheting ones from Loew's that are longer than usual, it worked well for me.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:47 PM

Update... for anyone searching this in the future. Remove cross brace, shield over brake lines (I think that's what they were) and then another shield that is bolted to the transmission/diff, then use PB blaster. My god that stuff makes a HUGE difference. I used a ratcheting box end wrench to get the 2 heat shield bolts off on the bottom and the backwards DP bolt. I managed to get all bolts including the 5 DP w/o breaking any of them.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

lucky you. good job though and hopefully mine will be as easy as yours was. i just want to end up with all the hardware in the same amount of pieces as when they were installed.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:41 AM

just know though that you will need a new bolt/washer/nut for the one lone bolt that is backwards (its the one thats in the worst location). Reason being that on the Stock DP it is ONLY a nut... Theres a fixed stud into the DP.