Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

ETS Exhaust Manifold, causing plug to melt in engine compartment (and resolution)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down ETS Exhaust Manifold, causing plug to melt in engine compartment (and resolution)

EDITED.

Frustration took the best of me...its a long story.

ETS Please contact me with a resolution to the pictured issues. This def needs to be addressed with your kit, or at least needs to be included as a warning when using this specific piece.

EDITED: 1/18/10

Big Thanks to the whole ETS CREW for addressing this issue with such haste! They are fabricating a heatshield for this specific issue. I believe it will now be included with the sale of there Mani's for the X.

As soon as I have the shield installed, I will take pics of it and include it in this thread.

Once again, my sincere apologies to the staff and everyone down at ETS and Force Fed. I allowed my over barreling frustrations with my X over the past 1.5 months get the better of me. I will have to replace that Sensor clip that melted (not sure how im going to be able to get it off as it has melted and bound itself to what it connected to), and im hoping that its not too expensive. If im not mistaken that is the Cam Angle sensor, which is not cheap.
Attached Thumbnails ETS Exhaust Manifold, causing plug to melt in engine compartment (and resolution)-img00036-20100116-2250.jpg   ETS Exhaust Manifold, causing plug to melt in engine compartment (and resolution)-img00037-20100116-2250.jpg   ETS Exhaust Manifold, causing plug to melt in engine compartment (and resolution)-img00039-20100116-2306.jpg  

Last edited by HR2L; Jan 18, 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

for 800+ ...lol....those wire will touch shortly ....
i feel your pain...talk to them..
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what are we suppose to be looking at
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Problem is not only with ets manifold. Problem is with all cast tubular manifolds. 90% of them crack and melt parts under the hood. I saw a lot of cracked evo 8-9 tubular manifolds. Even JDM $$$ tubular manifolds crack - I saw cracked Garage G-Force manifold and I've heard about JUN manifold cracking at the track.

Stock manifold is good and cast + it has a lot of factory heat shields. You can port it for additional output... Really you don't need to change every part on the car to add power. Some of the stock parts are really good and RELIABLE.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by skyseer
Problem is not only with ets manifold. Problem is with all cast tubular manifolds. 90% of them crack and melt parts under the hood. I saw a lot of cracked evo 8-9 tubular manifolds. Even JDM $$$ tubular manifolds crack - I saw cracked Garage G-Force manifold and I've heard about JUN manifold cracking at the track.

Stock manifold is good and cast + it has a lot of factory heat shields. You can port it for additional output... Really you don't need to change every part on the car to add power. Some of the stock parts are really good and RELIABLE.
EDITED.

Just frustrated...

Last edited by HR2L; Jan 17, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

OP have you talked to ETS yet? ouch..melted sockets there..
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tonyboy
OP have you talked to ETS yet? ouch..melted sockets there..
Just noticed it tonight...regardless, I cant be the only person who is using this manifold set up and experiencing this.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clutchdc5
what are we suppose to be looking at
Wow seriously? Looks like I will have to circle it for you?
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

The 2200 deg coating means that the coating will stay on up to 2200 deg.either way it sucks the way it was designed i guess.Its pretty hard to design something back there without interfering with anything.Good luck on getting your issue fixed with ets.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HR2L
Just noticed it tonight...regardless, I cant be the only person who is using this manifold set up and experiencing this.
well, i've seen others used it like HiBoost..he used it for quite some time not really sure how long..he had DEI titanium wrap on it ...never heard burning/melting issues from him..but from what i know he's now using a different manifold...i think full-race not really sure about which one now..

well the only thing you could do right now is wait for their customer service..they're good when it comes to services...what i think they should do there is make a heat shield of some sort for those..like the 8-9 heat shield for the cam sensor..

oh well good luck man..that's all i can say..sorry to hear that..
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gordian79
The 2200 deg coating means that the coating will stay on up to 2200 deg.either way it sucks the way it was designed i guess.Its pretty hard to design something back there without interfering with anything.Good luck on getting your issue fixed with ets.
EDIT:

Would like a solution to the Issue though from ETS. Purely for the better of there product and longevity of its use.

Last edited by HR2L; Jan 17, 2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Hate it that you found out like this but what did you think would happen with the manifold that close to that plug?

I would suggest in some http://www.designengineering.com/pro...asp?m=sp&pid=9

I would not go around calling a part a piece of junk when it did not fail. Saying that is a form of slander.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by droppinbottom
Hate it that you found out like this but what did you think would happen with the manifold that close to that plug?

I would suggest in some http://www.designengineering.com/pro...asp?m=sp&pid=9

I would not go around calling a part a piece of junk when it did not fail. Saying that is a form of slander.
And its my opinion, slander def not. It would be slander if it was not true, but obviously it is an issue that wasn't really looked at when this manifold was designed.

Last edited by HR2L; Jan 19, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

i seen a thread around here warning aftermarket manifold users about this and suggesting rapping the clip and that seems to work from what im hearing...sorry this had to happen to you hope mine doesnt do this
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bear.914
i seen a thread around here warning aftermarket manifold users about this and suggesting rapping the clip and that seems to work from what im hearing...sorry this had to happen to you hope mine doesnt do this
I would suggest taking a look at it, and finding something to protect it with. I wasn't even made aware of that it could be a potential issue. Guess thats what good sales people do, sell you on the pro's and let you find out about the cons as they come up.

Oh well, learned my lesson, remove this mani, and go back to the stock manifold. Seeing as it really did nothing for me in terms of performance.

Super bummed about this...can't wait to see how much its going to cost to have that repaired (properly replaced piece, not some hack job re-wiring).

Last edited by HR2L; Jan 16, 2010 at 11:51 PM.

Quick Reply: ETS Exhaust Manifold, causing plug to melt in engine compartment (and resolution)