Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Installed cone filter, I think my car feels slower...?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed cone filter, I think my car feels slower...?

So I tonight installed the cone filter per this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ne-filter.html

I got the exact same cone filter at a local auto parts store. The only thing I did different for the install was that I left the inlet scoop (not sure if that is the right name) that attaches to the front of the car and funnels the air in. I left that piece on so as to act as a pseudo heat shield and also to help redirect the incoming air.

The first thing I noticed is that I can really hear the turbo now. At about 2500RPMs and up, it almost sounds like a vacuum. And of course as soon as I let off the throttle I can hear the BOV really loud.

However, maybe it is just my imagination but the butt dyno is making me feel the car is slower. first gear still feels about the same, as does second, but the higher gears don't seem to throw me back in my seat like they used to when the boost kicks in. Maybe it's in my head, or maybe the increased airflow is making the boost kick in earlier and less abruptly, so it doesn't throw me back in my seat as much.

I wasn't expecting major gains, but it seems like 10-20whp is normal from an intake, so I was hoping for something. I will admit that I haven't taken it on the highway yet, just around some country roads, so I wasn't going as fast as I do on my normal commute.

Has anyone experienced this from a cone filter or from an intake? Is that vacuum/sucking noise I hear the turbo spooling, or maybe something isn't setup right?

Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need a tune for the intake to get full advantage of it.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ak47po
You need a tune for the intake to get full advantage of it.
I understand that, and my first real mod will be a Cobb AP, but from what I read since the Evo runs so rich out of the factory, that a cone filter or intake will still show some gains untuned because it will lean out the mixture a bit. I haven't ever heard of it making it slower but getting an intake/filter and no tune.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Do a boost leak test man just to rule it out. Boost leaks are insane power killers. If the filter is your only mod, youre likely not gonna have any, but still just check to be sure. I had leaks from my throttle body shaft seals, oem bov, and intercooler pipe couplers. My friend who has a Cobra with just an intake and exhaust, I only had him by a half car. I fixed up all the leaks and I pulled him by 5 car lengths just from fixing the boost leaks.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Do a boost leak test man just to rule it out. Boost leaks are insane power killers. If the filter is your only mod, youre likely not gonna have any, but still just check to be sure. I had leaks from my throttle body shaft seals, oem bov, and intercooler pipe couplers. My friend who has a Cobra with just an intake and exhaust, I only had him by a half car. I fixed up all the leaks and I pulled him by 5 car lengths just from fixing the boost leaks.
How do I do a boost leak test?

The filter is my only mod. It's not like the car feels slow, it just doesn't feel any faster, and possibly a bit slower. May be in my head though.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Don't worry bro, I definitely don't think your car is slower, just not any faster. I didn't notice a difference when I installed mine either.

-And you're right, our cars often show a nice increase from this mod because of a slightly leaner afr, but it is difficult sometimes to feel 10-15whp increase.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

just like any newer car the you should unplug the batt and reset the ecu and then start and let it idle for like 15min to let the computer re learn how to function with the new extra bit of air. ifnot jsut give it a few days it should learn to run the car better.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RalliDew
just like any newer car the you should unplug the batt and reset the ecu and then start and let it idle for like 15min to let the computer re learn how to function with the new extra bit of air. ifnot jsut give it a few days it should learn to run the car better.
I'm not familiar with this. After I unplug the battery how do I reset the ECU? Or does the act of unplugging the battery reset it? How long do I leave it unplugged?

I will try this tomorrow once I know how to do this.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by koach
I'm not familiar with this. After I unplug the battery how do I reset the ECU? Or does the act of unplugging the battery reset it? How long do I leave it unplugged?

I will try this tomorrow once I know how to do this.
10 sec.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by imboostinnow
10 sec.
OK so disconnect battery, wait 10 seconds, reconnect, start up and idle for 15 minutes, and then go. I will do this tomorrow, thanks.

Even if I end up getting a 0WHP gain from this, the sound I am hearing from the turbo and the BOV definitely made it worth the $20. Obviously if I feel that my power has decreased I will reset to stock, at least until I get my COBB AP.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Just incase you ever want to try the boost leak test https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...er-5-02-a.html
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

So today I drove it on the highway, and I think my fears about it feeling slower are unfounded. I think the issue is that the turbo noise I now hear speeds up so quickly in every gear, that when the sound speeds up faster than the RPMs on the engine itself, it gives the illusion that it is not going fast, because I hear a loud fast turbo but I am only accelerating a little bit. I turned up the radio real loud to where I couldn't hear the turbo, and 4th and 5th felt just as they did before. Turn the radio down and i gives the illusion of being slower.

I don't notice it in 1st and 2nd because those gears speed up so quickly. So in any case I am happy with this mod. Best $20 spent on this car. Makes me wonder why people spend $250+ on intakes when a simple cone filter brings in more air and sounds better than stock.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

the stock box is a pretty nice piece. i had a blox filter on, but didn't like the way it felt so went back to the stock box. Now I'm running with just a Works drop in filter and it feels much better. just my .02c.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cornercarver
Don't worry bro, I definitely don't think your car is slower, just not any faster. I didn't notice a difference when I installed mine either.

-And you're right, our cars often show a nice increase from this mod because of a slightly leaner afr, but it is difficult sometimes to feel 10-15whp increase.

Tried the cone filter thing and put the airbox back in with a KN filter. I think its more responsive.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I'm you I would put the stock airfilter back and write off the money you spent on the generic cone filter. If you are going to go the Cobb AP route you will want to go to the Cobb website and see which brands they have maps for. Personally, I would just stay with the stock airfilter because with a tune or with the AP you gain very little, if any, with a filter or intake. My car made 316 hp on a Cobb stage 2 map with the stock airfilter and 363 hp with E85, still on the stock airfilter.

Quick Reply: Installed cone filter, I think my car feels slower...?