Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Newb needs help picking exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb needs help picking exhaust!

Hey, I am ready to upgrade my '08 Evo X exhaust. Any suggestions on what i should get. TBE vs. CBE? Brands? The thing is, I want it to be pretty much bolt up. I would want there to be bungs for all OEM sensors, etc. I do not want to delete the cat. Of course I want max HP gain with minimal modification. I do not want a quiet exhaust, yet I don't want one that sounds stupid either, if you catch my drift. Lookin' for a low, throaty roll kinda' sound.

I would appreciate your knowledge/experience/advice...

Thanks.

Last edited by OMEGA BLACK 79; Jan 30, 2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

It really depends on your budget. Almost all aftermarket pieces will have the factory o2 sensor bungs, so don't worry there. Really up to the $ and the look/sound you are after. Try to meet up with X owners and take a listen to different exhaust systems. Or try to search for sound clips.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Psquared
It really depends on your budget. Almost all aftermarket pieces will have the factory o2 sensor bungs, so don't worry there. Really up to the $ and the look/sound you are after. Try to meet up with X owners and take a listen to different exhaust systems. Or try to search for sound clips.
Problem is where I live, small town New MExico, I am THE Evo owner. Don't wanna spend more than a thousand, but don't wanna under pay and get crap either.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

I guess to answer your question, I would do a tbe because you will eventually, so might as well do it now. Depending on your budget, look at AMS, or Extreme Turbo Systems.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Oh, well I guess given your budget, you can go with mass produced pieces like Megan or something to keep the costs down. I just think if you do a catback, later down the road, you will end up spending the money anyhow to upgrade to the turbo back. But hey, like most of us, you may just have to piece it together a couple hundred bucks at a time.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

If you are looking at a Cat back then under 1k is very achievable. If you are looking to do a turbo back and keep it under 1k you are really narrowing the field.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

If you are keeping the stock cat (and are certain that you will) then you can go pretty much as loud as you want on the cat-back. The stock cat holds in a ton of sound. It's completely a different ball game if you go to an hfc/tp later on.

Honestly, though, you're going to have to narrow it down further for anyone to give you intelligent advice. You want stainless, you want polished, you want titanium tips or a baller full titanium? There are just a boatload of options.

I went polished stainless and the Specialty-X exhaust sounds mean without being loud. Looks like they aren't selling polished anymore and just offer SS at $900.

Last edited by mlomker; Jan 30, 2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:35 AM

Dude just spend the money. A couple months ago I was like you, didnt want to spend alot of money, then recently i just said screw it and ordered a full titanium catback/testpipe from tomei which cost me close to 1500 bones with discount lol
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please take a look at the following thread for any additional information:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...st-thread.html