Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

E85 Effects on Fuel Assembly...6 months later

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E85 Effects on Fuel Assembly...6 months later

Well I figured I would quick put something up for all the people worried about their in tank components being affected by E85. I have been running E85 since August and the car runs awesome, the cold weather hurt it a little but nothing terrible, even with the cams. Anyway never had any major problems.

I decided to pull the fuel assembly since I am now sending it in for my double pumper for my build up, going with Blaqops. The results were very similar to what GST found. I opted out of the 300 dollar UR fuel kit with filter which was really all available at the time and did the DIY one posted on EvoXforum.

I am surprised to say it held up very well. The only things to note that were kind of scary is what GST saw where the clear plastic hard line that i bought for the DIY kit turned orange and became sticky. However I did not notice the harder black plastic that was stock to be sticky at all as GST said they saw some. Besides that even the fuel sock which people said not to run looked mostly good. It turned blackish inside but not sure if that is normal. The foam and zipties held up great though!

My recommendations would be for bargain hunters to sub in an Evo 8/9 sock to be safe (blaqops has them) and get some of the sae30r10 or whatever the E85 safe submersible line is and use that instead of the clear plastic. Otherwise the cheap kit seems to work great. Or if you want to spend a bit more i say go with the Blaqops single kit that has all E85 safe components and fuel filter.

Most fuel is so refined today that I wasn't too worried about a brand new car running without one, however I would recommend one to be safe, i am getting one with my double pumper.

Here are some pics for you guys, let me know if you want any more crappy ones tonight (just the iphone, sorry) as I am shipping the kit out tomorrow to Blaqops.

Tossed in my new fuel pump relay for safety too while i was working (in the 20 degree weather, had to go inside to warm up several times)

These are waiting on clutch and more fuel....

Old Feb 2, 2010, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the info on your pump setup since I have the same thing.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You cannot go wrong with Blaqops.

I got their ProDub Kit with the MAF controller.

I also received my TTP HIAG 2400cc Injectors in the mail today.

I will be installing the Forge WGA and a 3 Port Boost Solenoid then tune for E85 with the double pump setup.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

^Yea blaqops makes nice stuff.

I just figured I would take some pics of the DIY kit for those curious about the testing, people were asking how it would react to E85 and here is some data.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:18 PM
Account Disabled

thanks for the info
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:17 AM

The pick-up filter shouldn;t be black like yours - I had the same issue with a Skyline GTR once and the black color was due to rubber parts/lines in the fuel system breaking down and getting caught in the filter due to a corrosive race fuel I was using at the time. I'd have a closer inspection of the sock filter and main filter if I was you.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Russco
The pick-up filter shouldn;t be black like yours - I had the same issue with a Skyline GTR once and the black color was due to rubber parts/lines in the fuel system breaking down and getting caught in the filter due to a corrosive race fuel I was using at the time. I'd have a closer inspection of the sock filter and main filter if I was you.
I am putting in a new double pumper next with new e85 safe fuel filter and safe fuel pickup.

There will also be new intank hoses, so I should be all good after.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

How many miles were put on this setup with e85? I went the same way with UR but i only put 4k miles since e85 change. Ill have to pull it out tmr and take a peeker. Is UR Fuel Filter still ok with e85? Id hate to totally waste $300 to be changed out.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't have the UR kit, it was overpriced in my opinion. I had the DIY one.

I had 10k or so on it i think.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZWingerRyRy
I went the same way with UR but i only put 4k miles since e85 change.
What a coincidence! I just pulled out my UR single-pump system for a BlaqOPs and I also had about 4k miles on it. The fuel filter should be fine but I'd ask UR about the fuel hose that they put on them. I just looked at mine and I can't tell if the 'Atlas fuel hose' that they use is 30r9 or 30r7. You don't want to run 30r7 with E85.

I also couldn't stand the noise/vibration caused by the UR filter being mounted on the firewall like it was. I'm glad it is gone.

Old Feb 27, 2010, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

I really dont notice the noise of the UR fuel filter..my exhaust deafens me sadly. I believe its 30r7 as UR already posted that there kit isnt e85 compatible.