Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Upgrade path for fun daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you really, really don't want to get protuned, or learn to tune, or do email tunes, take a look at what Cobb offers:

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/.../EVOXMaps.html

And then just pick the map that looks best. Just follow the Cobb route, pick their parts, use their flash, and be happy. Your car is going to have a lot more potential in it, with a minimal amount of effort, but if you don't want to make said effort, so be it.

Really, with the guidelines you have in place, I don't see another option. Are you willing to do your own wrenching? Can you do your own turbo swap and cams and such? If so, I'm sure you could find someone to do email tuning, but it'd get tricky fast.

As for exhaust noise, pick a quiet exhaust; there exists plenty of threads on that. I think you're overstating the no-cat smell, though, as I highly, highly doubt anyone would notice any additional smell, while moving, in a neighborhood, if you also had a quiet exhaust coupled with it.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say NOS
Old Feb 4, 2010, 06:27 PM

I am kinda in the same boat as you..sorta tolerant wife and a 8 month old. I have done a ton of research and I will tell you what I have done so far.

First off getting a Cobb AP is a great choice. I have a HKS drop in running stage 1 93 map and it is night and day. You will notice a immediate difference. The stock tune is utter crap as anyone on this board will tell you.

Stage 2 in the AP maps is adding a turboback. Cobb has confirmed that you can use a High Flow Cat with the Stage 2 maps. So you don't have to get a test pipe which really would not be good around a young child. As noted above you can get a bunch of quiet exhausts with a HFC and run the Stage 2 map. Depending on who you ask, putting in a downpipe without upgrading the turbo might not give you any gains.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

TBE = loud to me ....i won't do this to my kid and wife if i were you....
i think Cobb AP stage 1 is good enough for daily driving...the car it self has alot of power already!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hotdog
If you really, really don't want to get protuned, or learn to tune, or do email tunes, take a look at what Cobb offers:

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/.../EVOXMaps.html

And then just pick the map that looks best. Just follow the Cobb route, pick their parts, use their flash, and be happy. Your car is going to have a lot more potential in it, with a minimal amount of effort, but if you don't want to make said effort, so be it.

Really, with the guidelines you have in place, I don't see another option. Are you willing to do your own wrenching? Can you do your own turbo swap and cams and such? If so, I'm sure you could find someone to do email tuning, but it'd get tricky fast.

As for exhaust noise, pick a quiet exhaust; there exists plenty of threads on that. I think you're overstating the no-cat smell, though, as I highly, highly doubt anyone would notice any additional smell, while moving, in a neighborhood, if you also had a quiet exhaust coupled with it.
Unless I'm missing something, I really only see maps that would allow for an intake, TBE, and injectors. There aren;t any other maps out or am I misreading it? Those seem to be the same three types of maps but with slight variations (intake brand name, type of gas, etc.)
Old Feb 5, 2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by koach
Unless I'm missing something, I really only see maps that would allow for an intake, TBE, and injectors. There aren;t any other maps out or am I misreading it? Those seem to be the same three types of maps but with slight variations (intake brand name, type of gas, etc.)
The other "common" bolt ons, UICP, LICP and FMIC don't require a special tune. You can run them with any of the the stage 1 and 2 maps as what I have been told from Cobb.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dykast
The other "common" bolt ons, UICP, LICP and FMIC don't require a special tune. You can run them with any of the the stage 1 and 2 maps as what I have been told from Cobb.
How is that possible? Does that imply that those bolt-ons don't really do anything, so they are safe to run without a retune?
Old Feb 5, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dykast
First off getting a Cobb AP is a great choice. I have a HKS drop in running stage 1 93 map and it is night and day. You will notice a immediate difference. The stock tune is utter crap as anyone on this board will tell you.
+1; I travel a lot so I wanted the Cobb AP since it was so easy to get the same map tuned on different octanes. Like dykast said, the difference is night and day!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out the build Inside Line did on their Evo X. They wanted to make an X with modest upgrades and stock suspension that was as good as a GT-R. They did it Not too much in details on exactly what parts they used, but some good guidelines as to what not to change to keep the DD feel

http://www.insideline.com/mitsubishi...mprobable.html
Old Feb 5, 2010, 07:43 AM

How is that possible? Does that imply that those bolt-ons don't really do anything, so they are safe to run without a retune?
The short answer is yes, they help the car produce more HP, and yes they are safe to run with the Stage 1 or 2 AP maps without a retune. (according to Cobb)

Someone else with more knowledge then me can answer answer these questions with more detail then I.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Those upgrades affect spool and air charge consistency. They won't help you make more power but they'll limit the loss of power when the car gets hot. Same can be said of radiators and brake cooling ducts...they don't do much until you start to overheat.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
Check out the build Inside Line did on their Evo X. They wanted to make an X with modest upgrades and stock suspension that was as good as a GT-R. They did it Not too much in details on exactly what parts they used, but some good guidelines as to what not to change to keep the DD feel

http://www.insideline.com/mitsubishi...mprobable.html
Most people would not consider a GT30 bolt on turbo a "modest upgrade", especially if he's unwilling to protune.

And for suspension, they went with a coilover kit. You make it sound as if they did a reflash, "bolt ons", and then stumble over and beat on a GT-R.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

^This. The Edmunds Evo X did not have modest upgrades. Modest upgrades don't include coilovers and aftermarket turbochargers.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

To OP:

Fuel pump - not needed on stock turbo with gasoline fuel
UICP - Proven to make power
LICP - No real gains on the X
02DP - limited results until you have upgraded the turbo
Panel filter - good investment (I know you already have a cone, that's fine)
Inlet hose/tube - limited results, not a great bang for the buck
Cams - not a great bang for the buck, definitely consider once you have upgraded the turbo
Injectors - not really needed for stock turbo on gasoline
3" exhaust - proven to make power
Hi flow cat - proven to make power (I use and recommed the MilSpec 100 Cell)
Pro Tune - Excellent, best bang for buck BY FAR
Meth/H2O - Good bang for buck but complicated and requires extra maintenance and chemicals
E85 - Good power increases but requires upgraded fuel pump, injectors, and access to E85!
FMIC - limited gains on stock turbo
Turbo upgrade - Debateable bang for buck due to wild variations of total cost. Requires injectors and fuel pump (and possibly other upgrades). Typically you will sacrifice spool and low to mid-range power for amazing top-end. Since the OP is a 0-80mph guy, this upgrade would probably not make sense.

I formed these opinions based on hours of research and examination of dyno graphs on this and other forums. Talk to some tuners and get their recommendations.

Just do your homework and you will be fine!

Last edited by supergengo; Feb 5, 2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: forgot to mention turbo upgrade
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by supergengo
To OP:

Fuel pump - not needed on stock turbo with gasoline fuel
UICP - Proven to make power
LICP - No real gains on the X
02DP - limited results until you have upgraded the turbo
Panel filter - good investment (I know you already have a cone, that's fine)
Inlet hose/tube - limited results, not a great bang for the buck
Cams - not a great bang for the buck, definitely consider once you have upgraded the turbo
Injectors - not really needed for stock turbo on gasoline
3" exhaust - proven to make power
Hi flow cat - proven to make power (I use and recommed the MilSpec 100 Cell)
Pro Tune - Excellent, best bang for buck BY FAR
Meth/H2O - Good bang for buck but complicated and requires extra maintenance and chemicals
E85 - Good power increases but requires upgraded fuel pump, injectors, and access to E85!
FMIC - limited gains on stock turbo

I formed these opinions based on hours of research and examination of dyno graphs on this and other forums. Talk to some tuners and get their recommendations.

Just do your homework and you will be fine!
^This

Quick Reply: Best Upgrade path for fun daily driver?