Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Upgrade path for fun daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2010, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by koach
why would you steer clear of an intake? Every other person and similar thread recommends an intake.
If you are NOT going to get tuned (the AP equates to a tune, too) then by all means, get an intake. It fools the ECU and leans out the AFR, giving you power.

If you are going to get the AP it does exactly the same, lean the AFR out, so in that case you gain little, if anything, with an intake.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah for the viii and ix, it is the licp with the gains. Im not to to sure for the x
Old Feb 7, 2010, 02:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why would you steer clear of an intake? Every other person and similar thread recommends an intake.
Get AEM air intake, It is the safest.

We've had an AEM intake waiting patiently on the shelf as we installed other mods in Project Evo X, our long-term 2008 Mitsubishi Evo GSR. The car had an AMS cold-air intake when we took delivery of it, and though it has helped produce some stout power numbers, its constant hissing is like pheromone spray for cops.
The AEM intake includes an airbox that should muffle the sound, plus all the bits above. It's a deceptively simple-looking kit, as looking closer there are a lot of clever touches.
For example, there are ribs molded into the plastic elbow to strengthen it against the low pressure that can be generated in this area. The MAF pipe is completely isolated from the chassis via rubber isolation mounts. Its "Dryflow" filter never needs oiling which is nice because oiled filters can play havoc with mass flow sensors.
And the filter itself lives in said sealed plastic airbox that not only prevents the intake of hot underhood air but also, at a glance, appears stock to the undiscriminating eye. If, you know, those eyes miss the AEM logo stamped into its lid. MSRP is $330.21.
Jason Kavanagh, Engineering Editor
Old Feb 7, 2010, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

to be honest, if you are not concerned about the sound too much, get a drop in air filter and use the stock air box. It is already really efficient.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hassan!

We've had an AEM intake waiting patiently on the shelf as we installed other mods in Project Evo X, our long-term 2008 Mitsubishi Evo GSR. The car had an AMS cold-air intake when we took delivery of it, and though it has helped produce some stout power numbers, its constant hissing is like pheromone spray for cops.
The AEM intake includes an airbox that should muffle the sound, plus all the bits above. It's a deceptively simple-looking kit, as looking closer there are a lot of clever touches.
For example, there are ribs molded into the plastic elbow to strengthen it against the low pressure that can be generated in this area. The MAF pipe is completely isolated from the chassis via rubber isolation mounts. Its "Dryflow" filter never needs oiling which is nice because oiled filters can play havoc with mass flow sensors.
And the filter itself lives in said sealed plastic airbox that not only prevents the intake of hot underhood air but also, at a glance, appears stock to the undiscriminating eye. If, you know, those eyes miss the AEM logo stamped into its lid. MSRP is $330.21.
I have a cone filter right now and absolutely LOVE the sounds I hear now. Hearing the BOV and the turbo spool is cool as hell. I assume since the AEM is a closed system that it will not allow me to hear the noises, same as the stock airbox?

It would be hard to switch to an intake that gives up those sounds. Sounds aren't really a problem here cop-wise so I'm ok. I'll probably stick with the cone filter or get an AMS.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 09:33 AM

I have a cone filter right now
I missed that in your original post. Unless it's one on the list for which Cobb has maps, I would think twice about running the AP. Unless you get tuned, and you indicated you did not want to be tied to a tuner.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lowkey
I missed that in your original post. Unless it's one on the list for which Cobb has maps, I would think twice about running the AP. Unless you get tuned, and you indicated you did not want to be tied to a tuner.
I've read over and over again that a Cobb Stage 1 map can be loaded on to a stock car or a car with just an intake. So I would assume that a cone filter would work just fine, since it basically is an intake.

I know Cobb has specific maps for specific intakes, but they also have generic stage 1 maps that don't specify those. I was planning on running that one.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

I've read over and over again that a Cobb Stage 1 map can be loaded on to a stock car or a car with just an intake. So I would assume that a cone filter would work just fine, since it basically is an intake.

I know Cobb has specific maps for specific intakes, but they also have generic stage 1 maps that don't specify those. I was planning on running that one.
those assume you are using a stock MAFS Housing.... usually a drop in high flow filter, but I imagine that just a filter on the end may not be too big an issue... Log it with Evoscan and see how it goes.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rogue
those assume you are using a stock MAFS Housing.... usually a drop in high flow filter, but I imagine that just a filter on the end may not be too big an issue... Log it with Evoscan and see how it goes.
I'll email Cobb to see if their maps support running just a cone filter, thanks.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sgt_petty_210
If you want more power as far as intercooler piping is concerned. It is the other way around. You wont get to much from the UICP, it the LICP that will provide more gain. Not the other way around. AMS, Buschur, ETS will tell you the same. Fuel pump is always good to have. More fuel, more power.

Uhh your incorrect... regarding the UICP... do a search on EVO X upgrades before posting that. AMS, buscher and ETS will not tell you anything like that with regards to to the EVO X.

Unlike the 8's and 9's, a fuel pump is not needed until you get into turbo upgrades, E85 and larger injectors...
Old Feb 7, 2010, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hassan!

Why do you think it is the best? because upfront it gives you so HP and a boost increase.... but that is totally negated when you get a drop in filter and a tune...
Old Feb 7, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

An intake is an intake. A test pipe is a test pipe. People tend to get too wrapped up in details that don't matter. My advice is to buy the cheapest intake you can find from a reputable company and same with the test pipe.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
An intake is an intake. A test pipe is a test pipe. People tend to get too wrapped up in details that don't matter. My advice is to buy the cheapest intake you can find from a reputable company and same with the test pipe.
That's kind of what I thought, any why I bought the $20 cone filter instead of a $250+ intake. And I left the factory air funnel and front half of the filter casing attached and it seems to serve well as a heat shield. Of course I won't know for sure until the A/C kicks on and whether the car stutters or now.

This is why I was kid of surprised to see that Cobb has separate maps for every intake, because I can't imagine they are different enough to warrant different maps, especially since COBB's maps are pretty conservative.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Test pipe
injectors
E85 tune
= done
Old Feb 7, 2010, 05:04 PM

That's kind of what I thought, any why I bought the $20 cone filter instead of a $250+ intake. And I left the factory air funnel and front half of the filter casing attached and it seems to serve well as a heat shield. Of course I won't know for sure until the A/C kicks on and whether the car stutters or now.

This is why I was kid of surprised to see that Cobb has separate maps for every intake, because I can't imagine they are different enough to warrant different maps, especially since COBB's maps are pretty conservative.

If you have already decided what you are going to do, why ask for advise?

Quick Reply: Best Upgrade path for fun daily driver?