Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Upgrade path for fun daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowkey
If you have already decided what you are going to do, why ask for advise?
I was explaining my rationale as to my intake purchase. This thread deals with multiple performance mods I had questions on.

Also I mentioned that I may get a "real" intake anyway, and one of the reasons why (which I didn't mention), was that if COBB has different maps for different intakes, then maybe they are quite a bit different, and my assumptions are wrong.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

I believe the reason Cobb has so many different maps for different intakes is because some use the stock MAS housing, some don't. They tested these throughout the country to account for different elevations, temps, conditions. Then they gave a map with conservative gains. My tuner got quite a bit of hp/tq after tuning compared to the Cobb tune I was running.

I did my mods a little at a time just as you did, and read the hundreds of posts on here over and over. I got the mods that were approved by Cobb. First Access Port, then TBE, then FMIC, UICP, LICP. Then I got the intake. I chose ETS because it retained the stock MAS housing. Other intakes have a different size piping from the original, and people here have said the different size caused some air getting by the MAS that wasn't measured and was difficult to tune correctly. I even annoyed Rob at Cobb to ensure I was safe to run the mods I had. Then once I was out of bolt on mods, I got tuned. It was a pretty big difference. Now the addiction is out of control and I am getting a bigger turbo, tubular exhaust manifold, injectors, 3 port.

BTW, I still have the stock fuel pump and I haven't run out of fuel yet. If I ever get there, I will get a larger fuel pump.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Well I think I have decided on my upgrade path, now just the pesky detail of funding it:

Stage 1:
Cobb AP with Stage 1 map

Stage 2:
Perrin or TurboXS catback
AMS HFC (or another one that has a second bung for a wideband)
Rexspeed O2 downpipe
Cobb stage 2 map

Stage 3:
Wideband and Boost gauge
ETS UICP
ETS 4" FMIC
ETS LICP
3-port
Blouch WGA
Custom AP tune

At this point I may look into E85 or an FP green and supporting fuel mods (probably DW1000s and a new single pump fuel pump). There's only 1 E85 station near me but it's on my way to work, which is the only place I drive my car to, so it wouldn't be too bad. I will also look at a PnP intake manifold or one of the aftermarket ones.

I think I have addressed everything here.

Last edited by koach; Feb 27, 2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:40 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
If I can add my .02... don't get a TurboXS catback. They are poorly made and loud as hell. Go with the Perrin
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by migs647
If I can add my .02... don't get a TurboXS catback. They are poorly made and loud as hell. Go with the Perrin
The price of the TurboXS is what caught my eye, and the sound clips i have heard were nice. What I am really looking for is a reasonably price one that has a nice deep, but not too loud exhaust note. So many exhausts are either too loud or the note makes it sound like a civic. Really looking for something deep without breaking the bank.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:57 AM
EvoM Community Team

Either way, the Perrin is a bit better quality. I think you'll be much happier with that one

Edit: After all, longevity should be a concern too
Old Mar 2, 2010, 08:29 AM
Account Disabled

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What about a few mods that would make the car more enjoyable to drive, not more powerful but simply feeling sportier. Like a short shifter and shifter bushings.

Evo X short shifter

A lot of people also want to enjoy a fun daily driver and put these mods along with basic power mods.

The rest of your list looks like it should be a great car to enjoy on a daily basis!

Frank
TWM Performance
Old Mar 2, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TWM Performance
What about a few mods that would make the car more enjoyable to drive, not more powerful but simply feeling sportier. Like a short shifter and shifter bushings.

Evo X short shifter

A lot of people also want to enjoy a fun daily driver and put these mods along with basic power mods.

The rest of your list looks like it should be a great car to enjoy on a daily basis!

Frank
TWM Performance
Yeah I've been thinking about a short shifter first. I was going to wait and see if changing my transmission oil helped at all with the notchiness going from 2nd to 3rd. If it doesn't I may look at one of these with a weighted shift knob.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:25 PM
Account Disabled

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Better synthetic transmission oil and a weighted shift knob will definitely help, at least according to quite a few of our customers!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sgt_petty_210
If you want more power as far as intercooler piping is concerned. It is the other way around. You wont get to much from the UICP, it the LICP that will provide more gain. Not the other way around. AMS, Buschur, ETS will tell you the same. Fuel pump is always good to have. More fuel, more power.

TBE does NOT necessarily mean loud exhaust. I have a buschur tbe with hfc, and it is not by any means very loud. It is not loud during cruise, but if i get on it, yes you can hear it.
Originally Posted by sgt_petty_210
Yeah for the viii and ix, it is the licp with the gains. Im not to to sure for the x
You are wrong about this, on the VIII & IX its a power upgrade but not on the X's. Using the search feature and learning about it would help. If your not sure about what will help a X, maybe you shoulndt give advise. The OP will listen and buy a part that wont help his goal. Sounds like you confused him, OP its the UICP that is the one you want to get.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 07:36 PM
EvoM Community Team

+1, on the X it's the UICP with all the rubber that balloons, replacing with a hard pipe has proven to add 10-15whp. The LICP will not help much, though it does increase throttle response, don't expect any gains out of it.