Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

When/at what hp is a twin disc clutch justifiable?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be in the market for a new clutch soon and I'm just wondering...

To someone that's never driven anything but the stock clutch (like myself), how would you describe the street driveability of something like the Exedy twin disc that everyone seems to like? Exaclty like stock? Quicker engaging, a little tougher to modulate in traffic? On/off switch?

Obviously a clutch needs to be chosen that will hold more than enough power, but I think a lot of people, myself included, aren't looking to lose the easy daily driveability of the stock clutch. The last thing I want in an aftermarket clutch is an on/off switch type that is tough to modulate/slip in daily traffic.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21

To someone that's never driven anything but the stock clutch (like myself), how would you describe the street driveability of something like the Exedy twin disc that everyone seems to like? Exaclty like stock? Quicker engaging, a little tougher to modulate in traffic? On/off switch?

Obviously a clutch needs to be chosen that will hold more than enough power, but I think a lot of people, myself included, aren't looking to lose the easy daily driveability of the stock clutch. The last thing I want in an aftermarket clutch is an on/off switch type that is tough to modulate/slip in daily traffic.

I d not think the drivability would be very much different (Subjective), although two things come to mind when talking about a twin disc clutch that everybody cites as an inconvenience usually:

1) Price
2) Chatter/noise

if you are okay with these two issues, twin disc is the way to go. The drive characteristics will definitely be different. But that depends on the variation of the clutch you choose. For example, there is a SD and a HD version of the Exedy twin. You will need more pressure at the pedal with a HD, an SD will be closer to stock. This again differs by brand. Ultimately, the best way is to check out a vehicle that actually has one installed in it. When I was at JNZ tuning last year, I tested their WW project evo and it had a ACT single disc (or 6 puck, don't remember) requiring a higher pedal force. it was okay for me, but my cousin hated it. So it is totally subjective. If you frequent the local evo meets, see if someone would be kind enough to let you get a feel of the clutch they have installed. Ultimately, you are less likely to go wrong with a twin disc compared to other types.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21

Whoever posts that an exedy twin is like stock is lying to you. The pedal is harder, the engagement is faster and harder, however - compared to a 6puck clutch - yes it's like stock.

If you can drive without problems on the stocker, you will get used to a twin pretty fast, but regardless of what people say, driving an exedy twin in stop and go traffic for half an hour or more IS punishing to the foot.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ Agreed