Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

When/at what hp is a twin disc clutch justifiable?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2010, 02:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When/at what hp is a twin disc clutch justifiable?

i'm looking around at new clutches as of late, and all i've been hearing is users getting exedy/cusco twins or triple discs, not a lot of users upgrading single discs. my impression is that a single disc will do just fine up to a certain point, and that certain point is far ahead of what most users have when they upgrade. even my stock clutch is holding up well, no signs of slip so far at 17k. so, why no love for the single disc upgrades? is the majority simply upgrading to the twins because it's "the best," "singles are not good enough," or something else i'm missing entirely?

when the time comes, i'm considering a stage 2 exedy + flywheel. but at some point, when my stock turbo fails (assuming it does, or 70k, whichever sooner), i also have plans for a bolt-on turbo upgrade. is a single disc "appropriate?"

Last edited by EndlessRed; Feb 8, 2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 8 and 9 had approx 310 and 350 whp. I had an Exedy twin on both. Twin went in when I killed the stock clutch.

There's nothing to justify. If you're driving enough power for an organic clutch to not be able to hold the power and you don't want the jumpy driveability of a 6-puck, then it's time for a twin.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 03:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, to answer your question would fit to first acknowledge why you (and I) are both at this forum writing on these threads. The best answer I can personally fathom is that: both you and I are interested in Evo upgrades; members on this forum with stock platforms i'd bet are in minimal numbers. Having identified why we're here then comes the second point of being an upgrade 'freak'. Why are we upgrade freaks? Answer: Love of Speed. Not liking nor an attraction towards, but what us humans consider the emotion: Love. At least I do. Then if you analyze further the word 'upgrade' itself, it therein lies the word 'up': 200whp when you buy the car, to 300whp after a while, wont ever forget the day you hit 400whp, 500's, 600's so on so forth... Save yourself the hassle, install a twin 'cause at some point (even if you dont realize it yourself right now) you'll want to go 'up'.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by houdini_678
First, to answer your question would fit to first acknowledge why you (and I) are both at this forum writing on these threads. The best answer I can personally fathom is that: both you and I are interested in Evo upgrades; members on this forum with stock platforms i'd bet are in minimal numbers. Having identified why we're here then comes the second point of being an upgrade 'freak'. Why are we upgrade freaks? Answer: Love of Speed. Not liking nor an attraction towards, but what us humans consider the emotion: Love. At least I do. Then if you analyze further the word 'upgrade' itself, it therein lies the word 'up': 200whp when you buy the car, to 300whp after a while, wont ever forget the day you hit 400whp, 500's, 600's so on so forth... Save yourself the hassle, install a twin 'cause at some point (even if you dont realize it yourself right now) you'll want to go 'up'.
To summarize, get the twin because eventually you'll need it.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Like the old addidge: Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I need to review my clutch, just haven't got around to it.

SBC built me a custom single disc full face kevlar segmented unit that they say will support 490 ft/lbs...

I have ~5000 miles on it here are my impressions.

Smooth as stock
Pedal feels EXACTLY like stock.
Spins all 4 tires on launch with no burning smell.
Transitions smoothly with no chatter
shifting not affected
Love my new clutch

Now, it took SBC three tries to get it the way I wanted it...But they should have my configuration saved for future builds. I wanted the engagement point lowered slightly from stock and that's what I got. It's perfect, again, it took them three tries (yes I pulled tranny three times) however it is absoluetely perfect now..

Contact Andy from SBC and tell him tsitalon1 sent ya.......

One day I'll make a full review....One day

Last edited by tsitalon1; Feb 8, 2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
If you're driving enough power for an organic clutch to not be able to hold the power and you don't want the jumpy driveability of a 6-puck, then it's time for a twin.
I think that sums it up. I went with a six puck for cost reasons (too many other upgrades going on right now) but I'll put a twin in when this one goes.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 08:23 AM

I have made the mistake in the past of going with a clutch that was 'street friendly' and was rated for my HP level. I ended up burning through two Clutchmaster organic clutches before finally swapping to an ACT 2600 which cured all my problems. (Grand old DSM days)

Once your stock clutch goes I would buy the strongest clutch you think you can live with and call it a day. For most people twin disc clutches are the strongest clutch that is livable day to day, and hence its a popular choice.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thevidon
Once your stock clutch goes I would buy the strongest clutch you think you can live with and call it a day. For most people twin disc clutches are the strongest clutch that is livable day to day, and hence its a popular choice.
That's a good way to put it. The twin is a strong clutch and easy to drive on.

It's probably overkill for my setup now, but if I decide to go to a biger turbo in the future, I am good. So it's kinda like insurance too. The ability to hold power will be there if I need it....and I hope I do!
Old Feb 8, 2010, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steinvb12
It's probably overkill for my setup now
It isn't if you plan to launch a lot, even on stock power. Think about the center diff pins while that tranny is off the car. I wish I'd done that. I'm just not going to launch until I get it taken care of.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

if its a track car (not DD), then no reason to not get a 6-puck single and call it a day. the twins are for ppl who dont want to deal with a 6puck in traffic but still want to keep the power level high.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chkmgnt59
the twins are for ppl who dont want to deal with a 6puck in traffic but still want to keep the power level high.
That's also true. 1st gear is the only gear that is a problem on my 6puck. Once the car is rolling you can't tell the difference if you rev match decently.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
To summarize, get the twin because eventually you'll need it.
thx, i was wondering what kinda weed that guy was smoking

frankly, my car is a dd, and i only launched it once so far (just for kicks). so, like others, i'm wondering if a twin disc is overkill. from a future-proof pov, yea it's a good investment. from a budget view, i don't know if it's justifiable. i need time to sit on it and think, i suppose.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
thx, i was wondering what kinda weed that guy was smoking
Weed? I've been off that 6 months almost now. And sincerely, I think I might be done for the rest of my life.

'HAD' been doing that since 13, 30 now; and although I still get them 18, freakin Junior down there wouldn't get up when high.

Did my research, and that's a side effect of extensive exposure. So guess that's a wrap for me.

Back on topic... Still debating over a twin or not? Geez. Get that QM hydraulic or AMS's Push Exedy. Otherwise, 'we told you so'.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by houdini_678
Weed? I've been off that 6 months almost now. And sincerely, I think I might be done for the rest of my life.

'HAD' been doing that since 13, 30 now; and although I still get them 18, freakin Junior down there wouldn't get up when high.

Did my research, and that's a side effect of extensive exposure. So guess that's a wrap for me.

Back on topic... Still debating over a twin or not? Geez. Get that QM hydraulic or AMS's Push Exedy. Otherwise, 'we told you so'.

whoa, always learn something new here everyday.

Quick Reply: When/at what hp is a twin disc clutch justifiable?