Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Filter, CAI, or intake

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filter, CAI, or intake

Just trying to get some info on what you guys recommend. My car is bone stock with a CB/TP exhaust on the way. Should I just get a drop in filter, Cold Air intake or regular short ram. Also if know, any gain differences. If possible, please recommend the best brands. Thanks a lot guy in advance!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

If you're getting a tune, which you should be, then you will most likely see the same HP from any of those options, including the stock airbox.

However, an open element filter will allow you to hear the turbo spooling and the BOV, which is really cool IMO. Just get a $25 cone filter from an auto parts store and call it a day.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by koach
If you're getting a tune, which you should be, then you will most likely see the same HP from any of those options, including the stock airbox.

However, an open element filter will allow you to hear the turbo spooling and the BOV, which is really cool IMO. Just get a $25 cone filter from an auto parts store and call it a day.
Sounds good thanks a lot!!!
Old Feb 12, 2010, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't mess with just a cone filter. You can have idle issues with the A/C fan blowing.

I would keep the stock air box and get a drop-in filter. K&N, HKS, Works, etc.

Once you have everything installed, get a tune!
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Since I wasn't paying for a tune when I first modded mine, I got a drop in. Having said that, the tune itself was one of the best bang for the buck HP gains I had. I wouldn't do just the cone (especially the cheap autozone ones). On the older cars the cone was great. The X is a little picky. You run the risk of loosing power, leaning out your car, and may have idle issues with AC on as mentioned above.

BTW, I saw some pretty good gains with my car on the dyno by adding the ETS intake over the stock airbox with a perrin drop in...but a tune is definitely needed with this route.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

When I installed my cone filter I left the factory inlet scoop and the front of the airbox, so basically all I did was remove the filter and the piece behind it. The filter basically sits inside the front of the airbox, so it acts like a heat shield that you would get with a real intake. So it shouldnt have any issues with the AC or anything.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:48 AM

I use to have just a cone filter with the OEM inlet scoop still attached but i still got the idle issues from the A/C fan. it sucked not being able to use AC on the side roads in the middle of summer.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RRX_Joe
I use to have just a cone filter with the OEM inlet scoop still attached but i still got the idle issues from the A/C fan. it sucked not being able to use AC on the side roads in the middle of summer.
Did you have the inlet scoop and the front piece of the airbox - the part where the stock filter sits? I have both and I am hoping it will not be an issue when summer comes.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Billy's MR
Just trying to get some info on what you guys recommend. My car is bone stock with a CB/TP exhaust on the way. Should I just get a drop in filter, Cold Air intake or regular short ram. Also if know, any gain differences. If possible, please recommend the best brands. Thanks a lot guy in advance!

I have a PERRIN drop in i will sell you for cheap....leme know
Old Feb 16, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LetsGoPens
This is the Link for the intake shootout..

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...une-30whp.html
He has an EVO X, not an 8 or 9.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:17 PM

I only had the inlet scoop. the one thats screwed onto the top of the bumper. is you still have the stock airbox you should be fine.

Originally Posted by koach
Did you have the inlet scoop and the front piece of the airbox - the part where the stock filter sits? I have both and I am hoping it will not be an issue when summer comes.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

if your gona run a cone, dont use the spectre filter. i was told that it breaks down when it gets wet. Idk if this is true or not. But i took mine off just to be safe. I just run the HKS hybrid now.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RRX_Joe
I only had the inlet scoop. the one thats screwed onto the top of the bumper. is you still have the stock airbox you should be fine.
Yeah I have the inlet scoop plus the front of the airbox, so it sort of cups around the cone filter to act as a shield.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ltdanish07
if your gona run a cone, dont use the spectre filter. i was told that it breaks down when it gets wet. Idk if this is true or not. But i took mine off just to be safe. I just run the HKS hybrid now.
Mine is a Spectre. Do you have any evidence to back this up?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 01:31 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I vote CAI, with an AMSOIL high flow cone.

INJEN's RAM and CAI already carries an AMSOIL dry cone.

Quick Reply: Filter, CAI, or intake