Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

need clutch advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2010, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool, thanks for the awesome info guys I really appreciate it.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 09:35 PM

I have similar set up/plans for my car. I put an Exedy Stage 2 in my car at about 16000 miles. Clutch was still fine but was stock and crappy...

Install was just over $400, dont remember exactly what it was. Included labor and resurfacing the factory flywheel. I called around alot doing research on shops. I wanted someone with experience. Found a shop that had done multiple swaps on previous evos as well as the X. To make it even better, when I pulled in the morning of my appt, one of their employees had a X. Anyways, they did a great job for a great price.

I love my new clutch. Has minimal chatter and can take some pretty good abuse. I would recommend it.

BUT..... my master cylinder failed (last week) because of this clutch. my recommendation is to replace the master cylinder if you upgrade. my SSP will be here on thursday to fix my dead car. it may fail and it may not but seems to be fairly common/almost expected with the upgrade...
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
What I have seen for clutches on the evo X, the ACT seems to be a decent clutch, but may require a master cylinder upgrade due to the heavy pedal pressure. We run a triple disc in our car and the pedal pressure is very similar to OEM. The twin disc will be the same and a bit cheaper.

You can get into a twin disc Exedy for just a tad under $1700 (It's expensive, but a great investment) The clutch can be rebuilt and upgraded to a triple if you do decide to get crazy. You also don't have to worry about your Master Cylinder breaking or having to upgrade to the evo 9 master cylinder. Install is around the same, the only real down fall is the chatter you hear from the clutch.

The ACT will hold the power and on the 8/9 gear lock out at high rpm was common. You may also need a master cylinder.

Good Luck!

Michael
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ACT has since fixed the lockout issue on the 8/9 and I have seen no reports of the lockout issue at all on the X. Perhaps they got smart and used the OEM TOB.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
That would be nice! We have had customers have good luck with the Exedy Stage 2 HD clutch as well.

Michael
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:49 PM

This kid I know got the ACT street clutch and it went out in 10K. I swear by the twin plated HD exedy clutch. It's worth every dollar and I guarantee your future mods will not be enough for you and you will want way more power. Be careful launching it though you might crack a case because the twin plate is so strong
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:51 PM

The ACT street clutch is garbage. I swear by the twin plated exedy HD. Your future mods won't be enough power and you will want more and the exedy will support you! Be careful launching it though you might crack a case because the twin plate is so strong
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

^Any person can burn through any clutch if they suck at driving, so your story is irrelevant.

Second, the ACT 6 puck holds more torque than the twin disc and it's half as much. Some of the most respected X members run ACT clutches. Mine is going in now as we speak.

Don't say something is crap when you have no X and no ACT. They work perfectly fine. The only advantage the twin has is driveability, it is very easy to drive.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 04:50 PM
Former Sponsor

ACT HDSS are nice clutches and hold well! We also like the exedy twins as well
Old Apr 1, 2010, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
Mine is going in now as we speak.
I never would have guessed.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mlomker
I never would have guessed.
I was not implying i am on of those respected members,lol. I was referring to people already running it
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going with the Exedy Twin HD as I do not want to have to deal with the CMC swap. Getting it installed Wednesday. Can't wait!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

What about. Spec stage 3+ clutches??
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:36 AM

got my act hd ss intalled and it feels great so far. I did get a service light the came on my ASC and sawc service light came on after a couple miles out of the shop, took it to advnce auto parts and its not throwing any codes..any ideas? how much are you guys paying for your install i payed $700 for mine and it took the shop a couple of days to finish.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bryanlo
got my act hd ss intalled and it feels great so far. I did get a service light the came on my ASC and sawc service light came on after a couple miles out of the shop, took it to advnce auto parts and its not throwing any codes..any ideas? how much are you guys paying for your install i payed $700 for mine and it took the shop a couple of days to finish.
prbably removed the transfer case and didnt have it bled afterwards
bring to mitsu for an ACD/AYC bleed

Quick Reply: need clutch advice