Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

need clutch advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need clutch advice

I've been reading on here and my eyes are getting tired..heheh but I still haven't come up with an answer. after 6k miles my clutch is out..and no, I don't drive the crap out of my evo. qouted by dealer to replace is about 1800. I just want to go outside dealer and and aftermarket clutch. can some of the experts chime on this please, here are what I plan to do on the car.

current upgrades:
cobb ap
BC BR racing coilover
18" rota wheels on stock tires

My futures mods are:
Full TBE
LICP/UICP and larger intercooler
intake
dyno tune

I plan to track the car every once in a while perhaps a few launches from drag racing but mainly used for daily driving.

can someone suggest a clutch that's compatible to my conditions and futures upgrades. I have no clue on clutches nor engine internals I just don't want my clutch to give out again only after 6k by daily driving and occasional fun here and there.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could probably get away with a full face street disc clutch.

Get the ACT street disc or the Exedy one.

You may have to replace your clutch master cylinder, it is hit or miss with a new clutch.

If you can afford it, get the exedy twin for nice daily driving.

I would personally get the ACT street disc with HD pressure plate, but that is my opinion.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:29 PM

cool, thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

No problem.

Listening to people on forums is great for initial research, but honestly I would try and find a shop you trust, build a relationship and ask them their opinion on what works well.

But if you stick with the stock turbo an exedy single disc or ACT street disc will suffice.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:40 PM

I spoke with someone local and they qouted me 750-800 for install, I also mentioned the clutch you adviced me and he said that was a good combo. is that a normal range for clutch isntall? seems kinda steep, i've seen 50-600 around the board.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:41 PM

will the ACT street disc with HD pressure plate take some launches every once in awhile. I don't plan to change out the stock turbo unless it breaks on me.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

500-600 is kinda cheap actually.

I am getting mine done for 950 with the SSP MC, so yours is a little high, but not outrageous.

If it is a lower volume Evo X shop that is why, they will probably be slower at it (usually not a bad thing, **** gets done right then) since they don't do as many.

If you trust them i think the price is ok. I would pay a little more to have it done right always.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
No problem.

Listening to people on forums is great for initial research, but honestly I would try and find a shop you trust, build a relationship and ask them their opinion on what works well.

But if you stick with the stock turbo an exedy single disc or ACT street disc will suffice.
I agree.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bryanlo
will the ACT street disc with HD pressure plate take some launches every once in awhile. I don't plan to change out the stock turbo unless it breaks on me.
All clutches can fry from improper launching or too many or too many too quickly.

The ACT will be able to take a decent amount of abuse but it is not bullet proof and neither is any other clutch.

I know tractionlimit, who is running a similar setup to me with 480whp on an fpred and e85 is running that combo, so the stock turbo should be fine. He also tracks his too, drag that is, so even more abuse.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:48 PM

Got quoted for 300 for mine, just have to figure what route to choose...

Subscribed for later info
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Deception
Got quoted for 300 for mine, just have to figure what route to choose...

Subscribed for later info
That is rediculous, lol. I am guessing a smaller shop with minimal overhead.

Not saying they can't do it well, it's just the prices get higher on big shops because they have to cover operating costs.

I think somewhere from 600-800 is normal for clutch install.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:55 PM

murlo where did you get your clutch? i will probably order mine soon so that the shop can get started on my car asap. Is there anything else I need to buy or should buy and get installed since i'm getting this work done? did I read wrong, I saw they only hold up 300hp? i'm sure I read it wrong
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:56 PM

300??? im jealous, I just want it done right becuause by doing this i'm voiding a lot of warranty yikes..
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:59 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
IRCC, the ACT HD pressure plate and street disc holds about ~513 crank torque. The ACT XT holds ~600 crank torque. The XT has a much heavier pedal feel and will most likely need a upgrade MC.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bryanlo
murlo where did you get your clutch? i will probably order mine soon so that the shop can get started on my car asap. Is there anything else I need to buy or should buy and get installed since i'm getting this work done? did I read wrong, I saw they only hold up 300hp? i'm sure I read it wrong
The ME1-HDSS (which is the street disc) is rated at 508 torque, which is not wheel torque remember. Also remember torque kills the clutch not horsepower. You could have 800whp on a stock clutch if the turbo was big enough with ****ty torque.

Talk to MAPerformance, I get all my stuff from them, they are an awesome vendor and a sponsor here.

Just be sure to email the or PM them and let them know you are from the forums for best pricing.

Here is there website:

http://www.maperformance.com/act-hea...kit-evo-x.html

Quick Reply: need clutch advice