Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Convert SST to Manual

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Hakmeister
so any actual price on how much it would cost, it might be worth it if you can sell the old sst if you swap it
You could probably get around 4k for the SST, providing you have proof it works, like video, or even allowing the buyer to ride in it prior to pulling it.

If you did all the labor yourself, you could probably keep the cost of the swap pretty nuetral, parts wise. Labor would be another story. The labor bill for that would be at least 2k, and probably more like 3k. Just pulling the SST for a clutch swap takes around 10 man hours (2 guys 5 hours). Ditto for going back in.

One thing to consider is the ECU. I don't know how the ECU would react to simply not having a transmission. You may have to do an ECU swap as well. Then again, it could just throw some random TCU comm code and otherwise work fine. No one will really be sure until someone does it. I would immagine that someone very skilled with ECU flash could make the ECU work, but I am guessing there.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's actually VERY easy to swap between an SST car and an 5-speed car:

Open the hood.
Remove the radiator cap.
Push the SST car out of the stall.
Push a GSR into the stall.
Re-install radiator cap.

If you play it right, the cost will only be the labor of R&Ring the radiator cap. Most dealers would trade an equally-equipped, equal mileage MR/SST straight over for a GSR.5-speed. You might need to cover some title transfer and licensing fees, which will be minimal. You might even end up cash ahead.

ANY OTHER WAY you play it, you will be spending a months or two of wages and have many hours/weeks of work invested and not know the final cost/amount of work involved for some time to come.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

It is insane to undertake, for sure. But definitely doable with enough time/money (as with everything else)

I'm sure many of you remember the story of the guy converting his wife's Lambo to an automatic for her for around 50k.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly for that price, you could upgrade the SST to levels high enough for competition.

I am totally for the GSR normally, but in this case since you already paid the extra money for the car and instead of losing more money going to manual, which after all is said and done would be like 10-12k over what a GSR would've been and might not work right.

So I vote get some SSP love for the MR tranny, it is very capable with proper cooling and the SST is pretty slick.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

do what I did. Rip off all your mods and trade your 08 MR in for a 2010 GSR then put all your mods back on
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:03 AM

trade in get the gsr, definately not worth the time or money
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:08 AM

well you could trade me your mr for my gsr, and we both win!
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by murlo26
Honestly for that price, you could upgrade the SST to levels high enough for competition.

I am totally for the GSR normally, but in this case since you already paid the extra money for the car and instead of losing more money going to manual, which after all is said and done would be like 10-12k over what a GSR would've been and might not work right.

So I vote get some SSP love for the MR tranny, it is very capable with proper cooling and the SST is pretty slick.
Currently this is only partly true. I just installed the 500 hp clutches in mine. It remains to be seen if the trans will allow me to use the power my engine is capable of. I am not optimistic, though it is not due to the clutches or even the mechanicals in the trans. Hopefully over the next year there will be products available to assist us in getting around some of the SST's software based limits, which are not all torque table related.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kozmic27
Currently this is only partly true. I just installed the 500 hp clutches in mine. It remains to be seen if the trans will allow me to use the power my engine is capable of. I am not optimistic, though it is not due to the clutches or even the mechanicals in the trans. Hopefully over the next year there will be products available to assist us in getting around some of the SST's software based limits, which are not all torque table related.
ECUflash has these tables now, they are in BETA.

Bryan at GST has now gotten the MR's to dyno the same as GSR's. So software is almost here.