Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X transmission case drain plug

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X transmission case drain plug

Today, I was planning to do a transmission fluid change. I already changed my fliud twice, and now is the third time. I was trying to remove the drain plug, but no luck at all. The plug is too tight and the six angles started to become flat. Therefore, the 24mm socket wouldn't work now since it slipped when I used power. Could anyone give me some suggestions how to remove the plug?
Also, anyone know where can I get a new plug? What's the part number and plug size?
Thanks for helping me~

Last edited by fengzhaoxi; Mar 31, 2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fengzhaoxi
Today, I was planning to do a transmission fluid change. I already changed my fliud twice, and now is the third time. I was trying to remove the drain plug, but no luck at all. The plug is too tight and the six angles started to become flat. Therefore, the 24mm socket wouldn't work now since it slipped when I used power. Could anyone give me some suggestions how to remove the plug?
Also, anyone know where can I get a new plug? What's the part number and plug size?
Thanks for helping me~
Hit up the dealership for a new drain plug. If that's not possible or convenient I think the plug is M24 x 1.5 (looked in the FSM, didn't see the exact size spec'd.) And if you go non-OEM make sure to get a plug that's magnetic.

To remove the stripped plug you could try using a Gator Grip. I bought one the other but haven't tried out yet (it was too cold today, I was going to see if/how well it works.) Maybe some else could chime in with some ideas.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:13 PM

Can you tell me what direction you turned the wrech? I think I turned it the wrong way. Isn't lossening the bolt left?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fengzhaoxi
Thanks for helping me~
How miles you have on it? How often you changing it? I got 27000 and going for first one.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:37 PM

I have less then 9k, but never changed it before since I bought the car 4 years ago.
I wanted to change it once after the break it point but never got around to doing it. Now I'm screwed with the bolt cause I stripped most of it off.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Loosen = counter-clockwise.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:19 PM

****! I thought it was right to tight and left to loss. Now I have to find a new drain plug. Any suggestions?
I was thinking dealership but I was also wondering if I can go to a regular mechanic like Mobil and tell them to get one for me.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Righty tight lefty loose.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Turning a round thing "right" or "left" can be kinda vague "Up" or "down" make as much sense, you gotta go with clockwise/counter-clockwise to take the ambiguity out.