Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Whick intake?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whick intake?

Alright Im looking to start off with an intake, exhaust and tune will come later.

There is a pretty sick sale right now on the Injen intake with UICP for $367, so that is an option, I really like the AMS intake but it is costly. $349 plus you either need to spend the extra $50 to get the bungs to incorporate the breather hoses like factory, otherwise you need an oil catch. So basically AMS intake is more than the injen intake AND uicp.

Do people sually go with the "default" setup on the ams and let the selenoid vent to the atmosphere and get an oil catch can for the crank case? Or spend the extra $50 for the bungs to incorporate the factory hoses? Pros/cons of either?

I'm looking for ood fit/fitment/drivability as this is my DD, I will drive it in the winter when its 0 and the summer when its 90, I dont want to deal with any cel issues, stumbling etc etc. I am looking for that awesme turbo spool sound and recirc woosh even if that makes me rice! Im open to other options also these are just the 2 Im looking at presently.
Buschur? ETS? Ultimate racing?
HELP!
Old Apr 10, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

K&N Typhoon. It comes with a UICP, and has a well designed heat shield.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 08:51 PM

how about just a drop in. Thats probly what i going to do. I heard you dont see gains over the stock airbox unless you upgrade your turbo.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

There isn't much to consider here. Spending $450 on an intake is a colossal waste of money. Most of the intakes out there will perform about the same. I see the same issue regarding test pipes. They're all the same.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

I realize the gains are probably minimal when you compare a drop-in w/ a tune to a intake w/ a tune, but when you add the intake and the uicp (like with the injen) there are probably some additional gains as compared to just a drop-in, plus it really does add a nice look to the engine compartment and an awesome sound.

It's also is ready to handle higher boosts if you do additional mods, ya wont have to worry about the expansion of the stock uicp. May yield some better throttle response, quicker spool up etc.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
There isn't much to consider here. Spending $450 on an intake is a colossal waste of money. Most of the intakes out there will perform about the same. I see the same issue regarding test pipes. They're all the same.
I agree with that, But Getting the Injen intake AND uicp for $367 is a pretty good deal. I am open to other intake options as well.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:24 PM

get the harman motive, similar to the ams for a more reasonable price
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
at your price, i'm definitely going for injen. there's no reason why you'd want to go for a similar intake for more price and getting less in the process. that's like paying for a 4-stick pack of kit-kat bar vs paying the same price for just 1 stick of kit-kat bar. it's a rhetorical question.

as for the bung. i got mine with all the bungs, just because i'm too lazy to get a catch can, then vent to air, and have to worry about it looking good in the process too. injen's intake comes with them if i recall.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

That was something I needed to inquire on, if the Intake came with the bungs or not, are there any additional breather filters needed etc.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:21 PM

i'm considering the k&n but my problem is that if i go an FP red, i'll be going 3" inlet to a 2.5"
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:32 AM

which ever one you get just make sure that you're satisfied cause if not then you will probably be getting a different one after and wasting money.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

i have the injen setup and no complaints
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor

get a drop in K & N, upper intercooler pipe is BS, yes I said it, BS!!!, until u go bigger turbo. If the stock one is not leaking, having the pipe a little fatter for 4 inches does Dong!!! also the injen does not increase pipe diameter size at all, they use smaller first pipe. all the gains reported back when was pretune, just about anything pretune added hp. Drop in filter, Hi-flow cat and tune u will be in the money. If I did have to choose a intake set up I do like the typhoon.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nauticabri
I agree with that, But Getting the Injen intake AND uicp for $367 is a pretty good deal. I am open to other intake options as well.
I understand you're more concerned with value but that isn't that great of a deal. I'm a proponent of Ultimate Racing and I have a few of their products. Their UICP and Intake Kit is $320. They may be able to cut you a deal for ordering more than one part. Worst case scenario you're looking at about 345ish shipped. Excellent quality and even better customer service.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
I understand you're more concerned with value but that isn't that great of a deal. I'm a proponent of Ultimate Racing and I have a few of their products. Their UICP and Intake Kit is $320. They may be able to cut you a deal for ordering more than one part. Worst case scenario you're looking at about 345ish shipped. Excellent quality and even better customer service.
Thanks I'll look into that

Last edited by Nauticabri; Apr 11, 2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: typo