Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Are you happy with your bolt-on turbo upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you happy with your bolt-on turbo upgrade?

I'm just now getting my new motor back together (a little warm weather goes a long way for motivation ) and I need to have it going in the next 2 weeks to prepare for the Winged Warrior charity event.

There are tons of threads on here regarding the larger bolt-on turbos and there is a lot of read and repeat info, but some real feedback from a driving perspective would be appreciated...from owners and vendors who are willing to talk and not sell. This forum is very vendor influenced, and to be quite honest it gets annoying

My concerns:
-Dyno charts are helpful and I do appreciate that vendors and users have posted what they have. What most of them show me is that these things do pick up power over the stock turbo from 6000-7500, but they show significant losses below that...especially in torque. So my question...how does your car drive down the 1/4 with the larger turbo compared to before? I have had pretty good success with the stock turbo...it makes a lot of power low and that has helped me to accelerate the car hard where it matters in the first 330 feet of the track, but it certainly falls on its face up top. I still plan on spraying a small 125-150 shot so I think I can combat what fears me there, and make some more up top. Can anyone share some timeslips of before and after with nothing changed other than the turbo?? I know a lot of guys run their cars, then upgrade lots of stuff like intercooler, cams, etc at the same time, so a nice turbo vs turbo comparison would be ******* and beer!

-Have any avid auto x'ers driven the turbo back to back? I compare my datalogs to Subarus and they have a clear advantage coming off corners, then we pull hard on any significant straight section. This turbo naturally amplifies that problem, but some acceleration datalogs would be super helpful to me.

I mostly just want some genuine opinions on driving experience and some acceleration data back to back instead of seeing dyno charts. I have no doubt I can stick this car in the 10s full weight with some good gas and the larger turbo, but how does your car compare on pump gas?

All input is a appreciated thanks guys.

Last edited by DRAG; Apr 13, 2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DRAG
I'm just now getting my new motor back together (a little warm weather goes a long way for motivation ) and I need to have it going in the next 2 weeks to prepare for the Winged Warrior charity event.

There are tons of threads on here regarding the larger bolt-on turbos and there is a lot of read and repeat info, but some real feedback from a driving perspective would be appreciated...from owners and vendors who are willing to talk and not sell. This forum is very vendor influenced, and to be quite honest it gets annoying

My concerns:
-Dyno charts are helpful and I do appreciate that vendors and users have posted what they have. What most of them show me is that these things do pick up power over the stock turbo from 6000-7500, but they show significant losses below that...especially in torque. So my question...how does your car drive down the 1/4 with the larger turbo compared to before? I have had pretty good success with the stock turbo...it makes a lot of power low and that has helped me to accelerate the car hard where it matters in the first 330 feet of the track, but it certainly falls on its face up top. I still plan on spraying a small 125-150 shot so I think I can combat what fears me there, and make some more up top. Can anyone share some timeslips of before and after with nothing changed other than the turbo?? I know a lot of guys run their cars, then upgrade lots of stuff like intercooler, cams, etc at the same time, so a nice turbo vs turbo comparison would be ******* and beer!

-Have any avid auto x'ers driven the turbo back to back? I compare my datalogs to Subarus and they have a clear advantage coming off corners, then we pull hard on any significant straight section. This turbo naturally amplifies that problem, but some acceleration datalogs would be super helpful to me.

I mostly just want some genuine opinions on driving experience and some acceleration data back to back instead of seeing dyno charts. I have no doubt I can stick this car in the 10s full weight with some good gas an the larger turbo, but how does your car compare on pump gas?

All input is a appreciated thanks guys.
E85 comes from a pump, that is pump gas right?

But seriously I know exactly what you mean. It is frustrating for picking out a stock turbo on the X. It honestly just seems like nothing works as well as it did on the 8/9's.

A local just ran an 11.0 in a evo 9 rs on corn fuel and hoosiers (the track was not prepped at all, 1.9 60ft on hoosiers, eek). The X has obesity problems as well.

The stock turbo is really awesome, super torque...but it is just too small for what we are all looking for.

The 8/9's have ran like 9's on the FP reds, which is ridiculous.

With all that said, the extra lag is acceptable to me and I think the Red is a great turbo with e85. however on anything else (fuel wise)I would probably try other turbo's. I love the Red though and my setup is working great. No timeslips yet, but soon, just got a new clutch/tires and retune coming. Then off to the track.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

I might do E85 and then just have a pump tune for when I get stranded. I'm still not sure about that. It seems like a lot of guys dyno, but never run numbers so it is hard to tell where it really stands. If I could get 118mph or so out of 93 octane or 122+ consistently on race gas I would be all for it. I just see a lot of guys running low 12s or barely high 11s with a grocery list of mods, huge dyno numbers, and I don't get it. I don't make much power and my car is really heavy with my 270lb *** in it. My car only runs 12.20s on 93, but I also ONLY have an exhaust on the car and on good gas I have run a couple 11 second passes. I'm no super hero driver...I'm just not seeing the track results from the Red, Dom, BBX and whatever the hell else is out there.

I suppose thats what I'm asking for. Lets see some time slips instead of dyno charts.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I still plan on spraying a small 125-150 shot so I think I can combat what fears me there, and make some more up top. Can anyone share some timeslips of before and after with nothing changed other than the turbo?? I know a lot of guys run their cars, then upgrade lots of stuff like intercooler, cams, etc at the same time, so a nice turbo vs turbo comparison would be ******* and beer!
Anything bigger than stock is going to hurt on the auto-x. That can be combated with an exhaust manifold like Full-Race's and as free-flowing of an exhaust as you can tolerate.

For drag, any of the bolt-ons should be fine as you should be launching off your set limiter.

As for nitrous, I would advise against it on the stock turbo. Reason being, it has a super tiny turbine housing. You add that much spray, you're trying to force a lot more mass flow through that small turbine housing/wheel which leads to a LOT of exhaust backpressure. A number of Evos have had issues spraying and I believe this is the reason.

IMO, you're better off using a bigger turbo and spraying a small shot to aid spool-up.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

I don't want to derail this into a nitrous debate because I catch nothing but flak for spraying, however if you are going to spray to spool the turbo, spray that SOB the whole way. The biggest load on the motor is spraying low and especially right when you spike big boost. Why not spray all the way up top? I have been spraying stock EVOs for years and they are a LOT of fun to drive with the big torque hit. Bottom line, my stock turbo car went 93 in the 1/8th on the way to an 11.7 pass and when I sprayed a 125 it went 103 in the 1/8th. Nitrous is pure horsepower, and I will be using it so that I can keep an auto x friendly turbo instead of going to a 35R or bigger. The Winged Warrior event describes my driving perfectly. I want to be competitive on the drag strip in a basic street car and then hop over to the auto x 5 minutes later and be able to put up a good fight there as well.

Back on topic. How do you like the way your car drives with the big turbo?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

I love the way mine drives, the stocker on e85 was almost annoyingly fast at spool. Now it is just right. My red on e85 spools the same as a stock turbo on pump untuned. So basically the same as the car factory, just double the power

The red still spools plenty fast for me and has way more top end, it actually pulls to redline, i love it.

I think this turbo on pump would be a bad idea vs. the stock turbo on e85. But you have to work with what's available.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:30 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I know you want real world opinions, but have you looked into the Green? Supposedly it can hit a lot quicker than the red and still gets up there (especially on e85). There are plenty of Green reviews. But i thought you were looking for a drag turbo... so wouldn't you want more up top?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

If you have e85, there is no reason not to do the red. If pump i would consider the green strongly.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:58 AM
EvoM Community Team

Yah, wish there was a real e85 station within 50 miles of here. :-/
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I don't want to derail this into a nitrous debate because I catch nothing but flak for spraying, however if you are going to spray to spool the turbo, spray that SOB the whole way. The biggest load on the motor is spraying low and especially right when you spike big boost. Why not spray all the way up top?
It comes down to exhaust manifold pressure vs. intake manifold pressure. By spraying, you're cramming a lot of mass flow thru the turbo and it can only flow so much out the turbine side. So, you'll end up with probably more than double the pressure in the exhaust manifold as compared to the intake manifold. I think that can lead to a lot of heat buildup, detonation, etc.

I'd be curious to see how much spraying increases the exhaust pressure manifold...
Old Apr 13, 2010, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Green and with I would have went with a Red. If you do a bolt on Turbo upgrade go big. I got rained out last time i was at the track so I will go again soon and hopefully post the results if they arent too embarrassing. I am also going ot switch to e85 soon but plan to run with 93 oct first and see how I do.

I can post mod list and dyno once im home if you want.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 04:39 PM
EvoM Community Team

What makes you want to go with the Red vs Green? It's my understanding that the Green hits a lot quicker, but doesn't have the top end power?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
What makes you want to go with the Red vs Green? It's my understanding that the Green hits a lot quicker, but doesn't have the top end power?
I do alot of drag and since I want more power odds are I will hit that end where I max out the 550whp max efficiency of the green sooner than I would the red.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:58 PM
EvoM Community Team

Ahh, that makes sense for drag racing.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so I guess I ask the million dollar question to people that tune a lot of the different turbos....which one would you as a tuner put on YOUR car? Does any vendor/tuner that tunes a lot of these have the sack to give an unbiased opinion for the one that you aren't a dealer for. Red, BBX, or Blouch? Or are they all the same?

I am racing in a couple weeks, so I need to get on ordering a turbo ASAP.

Quick Reply: Are you happy with your bolt-on turbo upgrade?