Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Center diff pins
No issues
79.89%
Upgraded prior to pins breaking
6.32%
Pins backed out no tranny failure
4.60%
Pins backed out w/ tranny failure
9.20%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Center Diff Pins

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkM
why? it works!
I think he was referring to the "easily reversible". "welding" and "easily reversed" don't typically go hand in hang.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hotdog
I think he was referring to the "easily reversible". "welding" and "easily reversed" don't typically go hand in hang.
ah ok, but it is quite easy to reverse, it's just a ring of weld around the ends of the pins, can be ground off again with no ill effects
Old Apr 18, 2010, 09:06 AM

The weld is not going to be as strong as you think. The Carrier is cast and the pins a forged. They both have different molecular properties. You will also be heating up the pins substantially which will change the metals temper, or strength.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 09:40 AM

I worry as well about these pins, especially how I drive my car (the way it was meant to be driven) 30,000 km and no issues yet. I have my exedy twin HD just waiting for the rest of the money and then headed to shep to do the pins and clutch install .
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:48 PM

I sent my diff to shep this weekend. Hopefully we wont have anymore issues.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jasonsrt4
The weld is not going to be as strong as you think. The Carrier is cast and the pins a forged. They both have different molecular properties. You will also be heating up the pins substantially which will change the metals temper, or strength.
That is what my concern was!

Still, where and how to buy them?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:25 AM
Evolved Member

Still, where and how to buy them?
You can't order them online. You'll need to call, using a telephone, either Shep or Buschur. Or email them.

I know the Germans and Soviets took a lot of your technology, but go find a phone, even an old rotary dial one, that the resistance uses, and make a call. I guarantee you'll be able to find your answer.

The pass phrase, to get past the guards, is:

Jestem niepełnoletnia
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:31 AM
Evolving Member

You can't order them online. You'll need to call, using a telephone, either Shep or Buschur. Or email them.
Thanks.
I know the Germans and Soviets took a lot of your technology, but go find a phone, even an old rotary dial one, that the resistance uses, and make a call. I guarantee you'll be able to find your answer.
I know that cholesterol contained in your fast food works bad on your brain but never thought it could be so disasterous.
How about you call them and say:
Code:
I tried to be funny but, as usually it did not work out.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:48 AM
ddb
Evolving Member

A friend of mine had the pin comes out and got lose into the tranny, while slowing down downshifted from 4 to 3 the pin got shooted through the transmission case under the car ripping a inch diameter hole through the casing..... needless to say that it emptied itself of oil....
Car had about 27000 km(canada), he is usually pretty soft with his car still it is a car that offer high performance so sometime yes he drives hard but no launch and no drift....... now the stealership tells it's abused so they don't wanna pay the 6000$ because they need to replace the whole tranny. He got his lawyer on this one for now......
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:50 AM
Evolving Member

ddb, that's sad...That is why I am trying to replace them BEFORE they decide to go out...
Old Apr 19, 2010, 03:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ddb
A friend of mine had the pin comes out and got lose into the tranny, while slowing down downshifted from 4 to 3 the pin got shooted through the transmission case under the car ripping a inch diameter hole through the casing..... needless to say that it emptied itself of oil....
Car had about 27000 km(canada), he is usually pretty soft with his car still it is a car that offer high performance so sometime yes he drives hard but no launch and no drift....... now the stealership tells it's abused so they don't wanna pay the 6000$ because they need to replace the whole tranny. He got his lawyer on this one for now......
This is interesting. He has actually noticed the moment when the shafts went out of the diff? Both times when it happened to me I was not aware until some time after when I heard noises from the tranny.
Also, when shafts come out, they don't shoot through the case. The tranny case has a little bump inside, so when the shafts come out they machine the hole through the case where this bum is. At first I thought the hole was due to impact, until I noticed that there's always a hole and it's always at the same place.

Originally Posted by JED_POLAND
ddb, that's sad...That is why I am trying to replace them BEFORE they decide to go out...
Unfortunately, there's no proof yet that the upgraded shafts and pins will hold. I had mine upgraded, but I still keep my fingers crossed.

And BTW, last time my diff broke, I had all 4 pins that snapped but only one shaft came out. So, if your shafts sit well inside the diff, it doesn't mean that the pins are not broken!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:28 PM
Account Disabled

i drag race a lot.....a my center pins came out and i upgraded to the buschur diff pins and im good for now
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:23 PM
ddb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mojito
This is interesting. He has actually noticed the moment when the shafts went out of the diff? Both times when it happened to me I was not aware until some time after when I heard noises from the tranny.
Sorry, i didn't mean that he knew when the shaft went out but when the shaft broke the tranny. So it might have been sometime before that, that the pins broke and the shaft began to move, still it is hard to say when and how things happens but that is what he told me.
I'm still awaiting news from him, this happened last wednesday.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:58 PM

For those who upgraded, how much did it cost after the tranny was removed? Is it a DIY'er after the tranny is pulled, or do you send it off to a shop?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 08:22 AM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
when i went with my new clutch setup i had sheptrans do the pins/ torrington bearing upgrade and am so glad i did.....cheap insurance and quick service!

Quick Reply: Center Diff Pins