Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Center diff pins
No issues
79.89%
Upgraded prior to pins breaking
6.32%
Pins backed out no tranny failure
4.60%
Pins backed out w/ tranny failure
9.20%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Center Diff Pins

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010 | 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by CliveW
It's a bodge because it's not addressing the cause of the problem, the gears picking up on the pins. The only way to solve the problem is to fit pins that have the correct tolerance and coatings.

You said you stripped the box and checked for wear. How can you see the wear on the pins if you cannot remove them? That's the ony way to see. Guaranteed there will be wear on the pins and gears causing friction and heat, and also distributing small particles of metal which will be floating around in the oil of the gearbox, accentuating wear on all the other components. And the more wear there is, the worse it will get, and the quicker it will wear.

I'm trying to help you here, I'm not having a go at you I have a lot of experience as an engineer in the Aero industry, and my hobby and passion is Evo's. I only post facts from my own findings and experience, not conjecture, rumours or BS.

Check out the Evo I built Here to see what I normally do in my spare time

so what pins do you suggest going with? which one has the right clearance and coating?
Old Jul 17, 2010 | 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Evo-KNA
so what pins do you suggest going with? which one has the right clearance and coating?
I don't know what is on the market in the USA, but over here in the UK I'm making a set for a friend to my specification. His Evo X has done 22k miles and the pins and gears are already badly worn
Old Jul 17, 2010 | 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

What I have detailed are the facts. I have removed and inspected the centre diff components in minute detail. I have hardness tested all the components, measured all clearances, and compared the design and tolerances to the centre diffs from earlier Evo's 4-8 (which don't have any problem), and are near identical in design, but with different material specifications.

The wear on the big pins is a combination of too large a clearance, but mainly caused by the lack of a special hard coating on the pins. The hardness of the pins is 55 rockwell C scale, and the gears around 60. Any engineer worth his salt (and I've been one for 27yrs) will know not to run two surfaces together with similar harness. And this is what has been done. With adequate lubrication there shouldn't be a problem, but if starved, the gears and pins pick-up which causes damage to both and a torque on the main pin which then damages the small retaining pin. This then accentuates the wear.

The pins from the earlier boxes which suffer no problems have an extremely hard ceramic coating with a very low coefficient of friction (0.65) which means even with a lack of oil, the gear will not pick-up on the pin. It looks like Mitsubishi have cut costs and omitted the coating which has caused this problem.

If you replace the pin with one which has the correct tolerances and coatings, you don't need to do anything else. As I said before, earlier boxes have a near identical design and have no problems. I've stripped 15 year old boxes which have only miniscule wear of the pins and absolutely no pick-up. Any welding is a bodge, pure and simple.
There's some good info here. Thanks a lot.
I was guessing that the pins and shafts on pre-evo-X are the same as on evo-Xs and the failures were due to the design and heat distribution. Wouldn't it be cheaper to produce them all the same as opposed to making a different design, part number inventory, etc? But I guess, Mitsu figured therwise.

The strength of the components have nothing to do with it, it's the hardness that counts. If you put two components together with differing harnesses, the least hard will wear, but they will not pick-up on each other, which is something completely different, and the components picking-up causes a big torque load on the main pin.
Yes, hardness, that's what I meant (you're talking to a non-native speaker here ). So harder pins will pick up on gears if there's some degree of wobbling there.
I agree with your recommendation, but it's like saying that if you find a right pill, you'll live forever. Sounds good, but good luck finding that pill.
So far there only shep/buschur pins that are available on the market and so far there has not been any reports of them breaking. I hope it stays like that.
I also have shep pins in my diff and after 1000 miles I inspected the state of this pins and they still show signs of wear:

And this is because there still some movement there. Very tiny but still there is some free play.
So I wend ahead and welded them up with a laser to stop the movement. I hope that this now eliminated any possibility of them breaking in the future.
BTW a guy on Evo X forums posted a picture of his stock pins after 25K miles and they looked like new. He says that he launches and doesn't babysit his car. On the other hand I already broke two diffs in just 10K miles. Go figure.
Old Jul 18, 2010 | 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mojito
There's some good info here. Thanks a lot.
I was guessing that the pins and shafts on pre-evo-X are the same as on evo-Xs and the failures were due to the design and heat distribution.
The failures are pretty much all down to the fact the pins in the Evo X are not coated, and when I say the Pins I mean the big diff pins that the gears rotate on. The small 6mm retaining pins are not the problem here, they get worn and broken because of the design fault of the main diff pins as discussed.

Yes, hardness, that's what I meant (you're talking to a non-native speaker here ). So harder pins will pick up on gears if there's some degree of wobbling there.
Yep, hardness (I speak no Russian so no critisism here ) is the key, and it's not so much the wobbling and clearance of the gear to the pin shaft dia that causes the problem, although it doesn't help, but two parts running together of the same hardness.

I agree with your recommendation, but it's like saying that if you find a right pill, you'll live forever. Sounds good, but good luck finding that pill.
With a new pin of better design and proper coating, the problem is solved, as in the earlier gearboxes.

So far there only shep/buschur pins that are available on the market and so far there has not been any reports of them breaking. I hope it stays like that.
I also have shep pins in my diff and after 1000 miles I inspected the state of this pins and they still show signs of wear:

And this is because there still some movement there. Very tiny but still there is some free play.
So I wend ahead and welded them up with a laser to stop the movement. I hope that this now eliminated any possibility of them breaking in the future.
BTW a guy on Evo X forums posted a picture of his stock pins after 25K miles and they looked like new. He says that he launches and doesn't babysit his car. On the other hand I already broke two diffs in just 10K miles. Go figure.
Just to reiterate, when I talk about the pins, I'm always talking about the main 20mm diameter diff pins, not the 6mm retaining pins. The wear on these 6mm pins is an effect of the problem of the main pins, not a design fault of these 6mm pins.
The 6mm retaining pins are made of normal steel, and even in the earlier boxes without problems they always have very small marks on them, but this isn't a problem and they never have any proper wear.

With the new main pin I've designed, as well as the coating and better tolerances, the oiling system is improved, and the pin designed for better support of the gear. I will change the 6mm retaining pins aswell, from the standard mild steel items, to 6mm silver steel dowels, not really needed, but for the extra small expense, belt and braces.

Another thing to think about aswell is once the main diff pins wear and pick-up on the gear, there is damage to both. I've also found that due to the extra torque and loading on the pin caused by this pick-up, wear to the diff housing is caused (where the outer part of the pins sits) and wear to the central inner block (Where the inner part of the diff pin sits) Due to this, if you just replace the pins with another of same diameter, there would be play where the pins are supported inner and outer, and also the damaged part of the gear may cause damage to the new pin. Because of this the new diff pins need to be slightly oversize and the gear needs to be re-ground to suit and the diff casing and inner block need to be reamed to suit the new bigger pin.
Old Sep 5, 2010 | 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

I have 2008 USDM Evo X and the car have 14k miles on it, the car is modified approx. 400hp and I have over 150 launches and street hard driven with some drifts.

since a few months the transmission started to make some noise (nothing broken yet), first time I tought it is the engne mounts from launches.

Here in this movie you can hear the transmission noise at 0:45 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BglHcHLXo1U

then I have another transmission noise since a few days, after I drive hard the car then I want to park it and turn the wheels then driving in reverse at the rear wheels there is a noise cracking noise (4-5 times) just like when you driver over small rocks and they break. (I think the LSD is making this noise). After that there is no noise for a while.
Old Sep 5, 2010 | 01:36 PM

I had my pins go out at 9000miles last year with a few launches. And I got it warranty by mitsu and they replaced them with the stock pins again My car has almost 30K now no problems but I still want to replace the pins just for safety. I haven't really changed my driving style and I don't know what caused it to brake so fast.

Last edited by evo=ms3killa; Sep 6, 2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2010 | 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

maybe there are only a few cars affected...

I have noticed that the transmission noise on my car appears only when deccelerating with engine brake and the again when I accelerate...
Old Sep 7, 2010 | 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Can someone post a pic and highlight which diff pins you guys are refering to?
Old Sep 7, 2010 | 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTR2009
maybe there are only a few cars affected...
I'm hoping. I'm at 47k on stock clutch so hopefully I won't have center diff. pin problems either. I've scrapped big power plans because of all of this crap, though. Mitsu lost my respect by cutting all of these costs. Not the same car as the earlier Evo's.
Old Sep 7, 2010 | 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

^^ That is THE most unrelated conclusion you could come to given the facts. There are so many other reasons to hate Mitsu for, but this is definitely not one of them.
Old Sep 8, 2010 | 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

With the new main pin I've designed, as well as the coating and better tolerances, the oiling system is improved, and the pin designed for better support of the gear. I will change the 6mm retaining pins aswell, from the standard mild steel items, to 6mm silver steel dowels, not really needed, but for the extra small expense, belt and braces.
Would you mind making extra sets and selling them as a vendor? could you PM me what it's cost you so far to make them? Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2010 | 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CatalystGod
^^ That is THE most unrelated conclusion you could come to given the facts. There are so many other reasons to hate Mitsu for, but this is definitely not one of them.
Explain?
Old Sep 14, 2010 | 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Well I think it happened to me, I'm not sure yet , please read my post https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...nsimssion.html
I have just read this post 3 days ago and I tought it won't happen to me...

Last edited by GTR2009; Sep 14, 2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2010 | 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by bouncintiga
Would you mind making extra sets and selling them as a vendor? could you PM me what it's cost you so far to make them? Thanks
I'm also interested so any info please PM me. I want to do everything right the first time
Old Jan 1, 2011 | 08:55 PM

Does this apply to MRs too?

Does the SST tranny suffer from the same issue?
If I plan on going 400hp, do I need to relpace these pins too?

Quick Reply: Center Diff Pins