Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Center diff pins
No issues
79.89%
Upgraded prior to pins breaking
6.32%
Pins backed out no tranny failure
4.60%
Pins backed out w/ tranny failure
9.20%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Center Diff Pins

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2011, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
31k miles. Stock pins stock clutch. I do drive thecae hard (spirited), yet maintain it very well. No issues yet.

These next few days Im changing the trans,tc, and diff fluids though

Car is bone stock just a tune
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

I have 25k with no issues. I changed the trans fluid 5k ago, and am about to do the front and rear diff fluid changes.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:27 AM

^ which fluid did u end up going with for the trans?....
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:25 AM
Evolving Member

I'm thinking about buying a evo in the spring and was wondering does this whole pin coming apart only affect certain years of evo's or all evo's?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by moshecom
Does the SST tranny suffer from the same issue?
If I plan on going 400hp, do I need to relpace these pins too?
I'm actually really wondering this myself, but I'm guessing it doesn't because the TC-SST is setup differently from a standard manual gear box configuration. Would like confirmation from our gurus/experts here though. Besides, that would just be cruel if we had yet *another* problem to contend with on the SST. Like we don't have enough as is o.o
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
15+K miles no issue yet. Stock everything but the exedy triple pack clutch.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few pics of the installation of my new diff pins and tool steel retaining pins into a high end Evo X gearbox build I've just carried out with an ISF micropolished and cryogenically treated gearset.

Last edited by CliveW; Mar 1, 2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Added pics from photobucket
Old Mar 3, 2011, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, let me first say I think I'm a good person to post here lol almost feels like home in this thread considering I am going on my third tranny and the past TWO the dealer has replaced but this time they voided my warranty and left me to purchase my own tranny clutch etc. I just got my third tranny and sent it directly to sheptrans.com so he can work his magic ! The first time I was aware of the pin issue but I said I dont have that much power yet so I'll hold off. I went to the track a few times with Exhaust+Intake and launched the car 4-5 passes each time I went. Then the last time I came home NOTICED NO ISSUES DRIVING THE CAR, woke up the next morning and left my house and came home and as I was parking I noticed oil on the driveway and said OOPPSSS... I had a feeling what it was right away nd put the oem exhaust and intake on and shipped her *** back to the dealer and they said the stock pins broke, rattled around and shot threw the tranny housing and wrecked the clutch etc lol They replaced everything under warranty. When I got the car back I put the intake and exhaust back on and drove normal added some more mods intercooler, IC pipes, MBC etc. and then I took it to the track like fu*k it, lets risk it. No issues happend and then a few more track times went by because I admit I am an idiot and was to lazy to drop the tranny and send it out. BOOM broke for the second time and sat for like 8 months do Mitsu Of N. America telling the dealer to void my warranty because they found track slips which is NO PROOF it was the evo that was tracked along with them saying some BOLTS under the hood werent the OEM MARKED ones so long story short I had to come out my pocket and purchase this last one and shipped it directly to SHEP and now lets see what happens lol.....

DO THE DIFF PINS ETC. !!!! ASAP!!!! if I could go back it would be my first mod!

Car was tracked and launched MANY MANY times...the guys who drive there car normal probably wont have an issue for a while if not at all

Track= DRAG-1/4
Old Mar 3, 2011, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CliveW
A few pics of the installation of my new diff pins and tool steel retaining pins into a high end Evo X gearbox build I've just carried out with an ISF micropolished and cryogenically treated gearset.

EDIT:quoted pics removed
Very nice !!

what brand pins are those etc

Last edited by fostytou; Apr 14, 2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

is there a noticeable sounds when the diff pins broke?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
For the 2011 owners out there, I shipped my did out to Shep trans to get the upgraded diff pins and Torrington bearings. He said that the diff pins were the upgraded ones stock. Sonic you have a 2011, chances are you have the good pins already.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
We were the first to offer this after having them nearly fail in our EVOX, less than 3,000 miles on them. I'd guess 25 drag passes and a little autocross action. Ours were scared badly when removed.

Just give us a call to order they are in stock. There is more to just buying them, you should really call and speak with Dan first so he can advise you on the pins and what to look for.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bear.914
Very nice !!

what brand pins are those etc
These are custom made and designed by myself after analysing and fully understanding the cause of the problem, as posted earlier in this thread.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CliveW
These are custom made and designed by myself after analysing and fully understanding the cause of the problem, as posted earlier in this thread.
Looks like a great design. So, you added spiral lubrication canals and holes to supply the oil where the pins are in contact with the gears?
Have you done any testing of these? Mind making an extra set?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Finally got around to removing the pins/dowels in my spare transmission, this one had 9500 miles on the transmission with unknown driving conditions.

Got the buschur pins/dowels in now, will finish the trans up and install it with my triple Exedy, hopefully I have no problems for the rest of my trans life, but after reading more about the root cause of the problem I'm having my doubts. But oh well, this will do for now!

Last edited by DrasticK; Apr 12, 2011 at 06:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Center Diff Pins