Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which has less noise - HFC or Muffler test pipe?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which has less noise - HFC or Muffler test pipe?

i've been pondering this for a while - which will create less cabin noise? HFC or a muffler test pipe? considering one slows down exhaust flow and the other being a big muffler that is very capable of canceling noise, i'm really not certain which one is more suitable when cabin/exhaust db level is concerned. see, i've ridden in a car with the quietest aftermarket exhaust i know to date - T1R 76S, and there's still some noticeable noise in the cabin. that car had a test pipe on. if i was to reduce cabin and exhaust noise even further, without going back to stock, which route would be more appropriate?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What ever is more restrictive (HFC > test pipe) will produce less cabin noise (or less noise in general).
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

UR once told me their Resonated test pipe is quieter than their HFC.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
buschur has one too.. bump for an answer?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

I'm really thinking a HFC would produce more noise in the cabin...I will be putting a resonated test pipe on in a few weeks (currently have a AMS HFC)...I'll update this thread with my results.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

I'm running a MAGNAFLOW muffler in place of my testpipe on my Buschur TBE. Definitely made a decrease in noise and is 100% free flowing as well.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wilbdog
I'm really thinking a HFC would produce more noise in the cabin...I will be putting a resonated test pipe on in a few weeks (currently have a AMS HFC)...I'll update this thread with my results.
i think i might try fitting the core along with a muffler, given the size of the cat i think i can make a tight fit.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 04:07 PM

just b/c you can see straight thru ur muffler doesnt mean it flows that way. Exhaust gases are in pulses and are high in temperature. Dont you think hot gases would want to expand? Exhaust gases expands thru those perf tubes and doesnt travel stright thru your muffler. How do you think sound is absorbed by your resonator/muffler? hummmm things to think about now. hehehehe just my 2 cents
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

i have an ultimate racing mini muffler...it is as quiet if not quieter than stock cat....it works that well
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

DaFastOne is pritty much on the money, granted the strait through muffler isn't as good as the restrictive style OEMs use by redirecting exhaust gases to take a longer route and through more material. So I'm sure the the resonated/muffled test pipe will be quieter. But if I were you conact the MFG of the test pipe you want and ask for a flow rating and db of there product, a good company should have done R&D to provide the beat product possible instead of something slapped together.

Originally Posted by DaFastOne
just b/c you can see straight thru ur muffler doesnt mean it flows that way. Exhaust gases are in pulses and are high in temperature. Dont you think hot gases would want to expand? Exhaust gases expands thru those perf tubes and doesnt travel stright thru your muffler. How do you think sound is absorbed by your resonator/muffler? hummmm things to think about now. hehehehe just my 2 cents
Old Apr 25, 2010, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaFastOne
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

The testpipe w/muffler will be quieter than the HFC.

FWIW, my car is just as loud after switching from testpipe to HFC.