Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

'Engine/tranny' ? noise again :(

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help needed please 'Engine/tranny' ? noise again :( (with video)

Hi there !

(I know there is a lot of thread abiout noise/grinding/whinning sounds, I read a lot but can't find my specific problems.)

So here it is :
I've got 2 distinct noise now. Since 2 weeks I hear a whinning sound comming from engine bay. First time almost had heart attack it was SO LOUD, so I pressed the stop button on the rockford to hear it better, then sound almost dissapeared but was still there. Seems to got with engine speed, when I rev i hear it more. Don't seems to change with car speed (so I assume it's not transfer case related), and I tryed to push completely the gaz pedal at 50-60mph to make turbo spool don't change anything to the winning sound too.
So now sometime when I open the radio it goes loud through speaker but rarely.

Second sound, when the car is hot (20min of driving at least) I now hear a clak clak clak sound louder then injectors, wich seems (can't clutch and hear near engine...) to disapear when I press the clutch.

Haven't pushed the car since, but 1 month's ago was pulling fine

Video 1 *don't stare at picture you'll get sick of motion (or with my hockey beard lol)*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX8xmyLyzYY

You can hear even before I open the hood the clacking sound (more like an helicopter once recorded). Also the permanent whinning when hood is open.

Video 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=778Jd3Nf_vU

I've put it on the engine. Went press the clutch, you can hear it go away. Release, winded engine, clutched and winded again.
I didn't installed a supercharger on my car...

Wasn't able to record inside radio sound, seems the microphone of my photo camera is not good enough.

historic :
long story short, when I bought my car the clutch was gone, so had it replaced with a Clutch stage 3 (4puck). Changed the throw out bearing as well.
Clutch hold fine. But 4 month's ago was getting claking sound too (sounded more mettalic) when car was hot, so sended to the car to the usa dealership, they said : it's not the tranny it's the clutch. Taken back the car and had the clutch opened everything's good. So he changed twice the tranny oil and the sound was gone. Conclusion seemed to be there was a lot of mettalic grinding in it.

Not much mod to the car, only clutch and cobb AP at stage 1 91 octane (wich is gonna be changed to 93 soon)

I have gear notchiness from 1-2 and a bit 2-3 (and rarely grind on 1-2)

I'm a bit depressed, tired of having tranny/clutch problems. I don't roll much in a year but now I'm always afraid to use/push it since every 500miles I seems to get problems. :S

So any help in identifying or solution would be appreciated.
Thanx !

Last edited by Deepside; Apr 29, 2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added video
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Question

Listened to it a number of times not sure but similar to this:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...urbo-area.html

hope this helps
Old Apr 30, 2010, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

sounds bad man, but more like something is hitting, valves/pistons? pull the plugs and check them!
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check your harmonic balancer dude.. also check the belt and the tensioner.. If the harmonic balancer aka crack pulley is damaged or warped, the engine usually makes a noise like that..

As for the supercharger like noise which goes away when you depress the clutch, I have it too. It goes away after a while when the car heats up.. No worries..
Old May 2, 2010, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

First thanx for your answer, at least I get some answer/tips !

ok i've checked my pulley, seems fine, tryed listening with a screwdriver and when I go on the alternator the sound get's louder. Wich would make sense if I can hear it sometime trought the speaker. Gonna check tomorow if it worth a warranty shot.
And that noise don't go away with clutch press, it's the other noise.

Yeah listened again, and it do looks the thread : Clicking sound from turbo area
As it's comming only when hot too, but the one he get really sound's like the first one I had wich was comming from the tranny and disapeared when I changed the tranny oil.

I would like to check them like you said Brokenevo, but it looks like a really big job for somebody that don't have a lot of mechanic experience like me :/
Old May 17, 2010, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Well, sended the car to Usa dealer to have them check it.
I just hope it's gonna be on warranty, seems like when it's more than 500 bucks it's complicated.
I'll just wait then ...
Old Jun 3, 2010, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Well, finally he opened the tranny, and nothing wrong in there.
So he tells me it must be the performance clutch. and that the throw out bearing is a bit plyed somewhere and rusted, so he don't look like a new one. But I had it replaced when the clutch was done, not even 2000miles ago.
So now, 1100$ of bill and they still tell me they almost don't hear it, and that the car is perfect.
At least now I'm fixed that the tranny inside are ok.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have the noise from the turbo area ,It only reveals itself when the car is hot and ideling .I have 26k on it and its totaly stock all fluids are changed like clockwork and it comes and goes ,any chance the wase gate could be fluttering in the manifold.