Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Slipping

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Slipping

Hey guys, my dad and I just bought a used 2008 Evo X GSR to share with 30k miles on it. After having it for around a month, we noticed a more common smell that was unfamiliar to us and we just ignored. A few days ago however, the clutch began to slip and have problems and we had to get it replaced and it is still in the shop. Are other evo owners having similar problems, and is there a way to keep the new clutch working forever? And are performance aftermarket clutches a fix? seeing that to replace the clutch is $2100 and an exedy twin plate is $1200 installed... HELP! My father is very very stressed about his investment being a lemon.
Old May 14, 2010, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just swapped my clutch last saturday. here's the thread I made about it.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...riences-x.html
Old May 14, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by johnvan29
Hey guys, my dad and I just bought a used 2008 Evo X GSR to share with 30k miles on it. After having it for around a month, we noticed a more common smell that was unfamiliar to us and we just ignored. A few days ago however, the clutch began to slip and have problems and we had to get it replaced and it is still in the shop. Are other evo owners having similar problems, and is there a way to keep the new clutch working forever? And are performance aftermarket clutches a fix? seeing that to replace the clutch is $2100 and an exedy twin plate is $1200 installed... HELP! My father is very very stressed about his investment being a lemon.
stock clutch is weak and easy to destroy.

Get a ACT 6 puck and you should be good

btw: cars aren't investments.
Old May 14, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Clutches are items in cars that normally wear, so don't misinterpret the condition as the car being a lemon. The stock X clutches are known to be the weakest component in the drivetrain, and they have been known to start slipping earlier than many other clutches.

There are guys who claim slippage at under 10,000 miles; there are still other guys who claim that their clutches are still fine after 40k. Based on what i've read, you should feel lucky that the stock clutch lasted to 30k. Plus, you and your dad should have known better prior to buying the car anyway. If you're buying used, you automatically must assume that it has been beat on, frankly because the car is designed to be beat on and driven hard.

If you plan on doing any modifications to the car, get the aftermarket clutch. This, however, will probably void your warranty.
If you plan on keeping the car stock, then get the original OEM clutch.
Old May 14, 2010, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

How hard are you and your dad driving the car? Are either of you familiar with driving manual? I only get the burnt clutch smell after a hard launch and slipping the clutch to not totally shock the drivetrain. And even at that, it goes away after a day. I'm at 20k+ miles and it's still holding strong as day 1.

At 30k miles, if driven hard (or by inexperienced drivers), it's not unusual that the stock clutch will eventually wear out. It's not a lemon car, by any means. A lemon is a car that's always in the shop for parts falling off or CEL's popping off every 5 minutes. The X's are built pretty tough. Throw in an aftermarket clutch according to your future power plans and call it a day.
Old May 15, 2010, 08:52 AM
Account Disabled

time to get a exedy clutch haha
Old May 15, 2010, 09:40 AM

haha thanks guys. Ya my dad and I are both experienced manual drivers and i was getting the smell regardless whether I did a hard start or not. The rep at the mitsu dealer i got the clutch replaced at said that aftermarket clutches wear out a "cylinder that engages the clutch" and are very bad for the drivetrain... Is there some truth to this strange statement or does he just want me to pay to get the clutch fixed through mitsu?
Old May 15, 2010, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

i think he was probably talking about the cmc. it doesnt wear it out it puts excessive strain on it due to the higher clutch pressure. So in a way he is right.

just get a new aftermarket clutch that can handle some real abuse and call it a day.

now as to pick which one......hmmmmmm
Old May 15, 2010, 02:22 PM

is there a way to get a cmc to withstand the strain without wearing out? and is there a best clutch to replace with? I intend to install a fp red, manifold and so forth along with my current mods so the clutch needs to handle power well and be reliable. Thanks
Old May 16, 2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by goofygrin
btw: cars aren't investments.
QFT

time for a new clutch the stock is horrible anyway