Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Green: IWG Bracket?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2010, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP Green: IWG Bracket?

For Subarus, there exist many "brackets" to hold the IWG shut when going to an EWG setup.

For example:

I have an FP Green, and am planning to go EWG with it. My thought was to just weld the sucker shut, but this of course impacts resale; basically the welding ****s up the turbo unless you use an EWG set up. You can grind the weld off, but most people wouldn't want to.

Now, the turbo itself was cheap, so it's not like it's making a 10k product worth 100 bucks, but does anyone have any ideas on how I could use some sort of bracket like this? I don't think anyone specifically makes one for the FP Green, but it was worth a shot in asking, I suppose. I assume I could fab something up, but my attention span for stupid things like this is incredibly limited; I'd much more apt to just say "Weld it up, yo!" if it's not simple.

Or, there's a chance of the existing ones for the Subarus might fit, but I'm confused as to what would even need measured to contact them with; clearly, all of theirs are designed for specific Subaru implementations.

Thanks!

Edit: I did just email Area1320, who makes the IWG brackets for Subaru, to see if they knew of any of their current product line that might fit. I also asked for dimensions/drawings of their current line, as it'd allow me to compare our FP Green/stock frame turbo locations.
Old May 22, 2010, 07:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
why do you want an external gate?
Old May 22, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

I could write a long essay on the minimal cost, the desire for an aftermarket, tubular manifold, the benefits I've seen in the Subaru world with an EWG, but frankly, it all comes down to the death defying, demon scream of an open dump EWG.

RAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHGHGHHGH!!!

But, nah, I mean for the minimal cost difference, it removes a potential weak point, and the manifold looks sweeter then too
Old May 22, 2010, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Bend up an L shaped bracket out of 1" aluminum stock and drill a couple holes, should hold just fine if you get it right. There's no way the pressure behind the WG is going to bend even aluminum.

Last edited by Hiboost; May 22, 2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Bend up an L shaped bracket out of 1" aluminum stock and drill a couple holes, should hold just fine if you get it right. There's no way the pressure behind the WG is going to bend even aluminum.
Worth a shot, I'll take a look see what I can source and see if I can do it. I was worried about the amount of pressure; I honestly didn't know if aluminum, or some other "bendable steel" would be strong enough.

My problem is just a lack of experience and resources; on Evo X forums, someone mentioned "oh, just fab up an iron bracket and bolt it on", but for me to, ya know, fab something awesome up, would require skill well beyond my meager means. I'd most likely end up attaching myself to the turbo, and have to have Tephra tug me gently off.

Tug me gently off. Say that slowly.