Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Getting a lot of oil around airbox... ?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2010, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting a lot of oil around airbox... ?

I've been noticing that i'm getting a lot of oil around my airbox over the last month or so. I use a Green performance filter which from all I read is supposed to be a good filter my current mods are a TBE, UICP, 3 port EBCS, Perrin BOV and the Drop in. I don't feel my car is pushing enough power to where an actual intake would do a lot for gains, but perhaps i'm wrong in that area? What can I do to solve this aside from taking the filter out and cleaning it? I didn't buy the oil kit for it yet, I mean I think I put it in around Christmastime or so, doesn't seem like long enough to need cleaning and oiling though. Perhaps an intake would benefit me at this point? Advice or opinions are welcomed.
Old May 23, 2010, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Is the oil around the airbox coming from the drop-in filter or possibly the crankcase breather?
Old May 23, 2010, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Is the oil around the airbox coming from the drop-in filter or possibly the crankcase breather?
well, I really don't know... I can tell you it's right in the area where the airbox goes together. I may open it up and see if there is oil inside of the box to be sure... and I don't know where the crankcase breather is either lol.
Old May 23, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Is the Green filter a similar design to K&N/AFE (oiled cotton gauze)? If so, I'm guess it was just over-oiled from the factory (very common unfortunately) so you'd probably be best to wipe it clean to remove any excess oil. Be sure just to remove the filter from the airbox and wipe out the inside of the box as well.
Old May 23, 2010, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankcase breather is the big hose coming from your valve cover. It's used when you have too much oil to burn it off or re-oil the turbo.
Old May 23, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallyGoneEvo
Crankcase breather is the big hose coming from your valve cover. It's used when you have too much oil to burn it off or re-oil the turbo.
ohhh I see... well that part I remember.
Old May 23, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Is the Green filter a similar design to K&N/AFE (oiled cotton gauze)? If so, I'm guess it was just over-oiled from the factory (very common unfortunately) so you'd probably be best to wipe it clean to remove any excess oil. Be sure just to remove the filter from the airbox and wipe out the inside of the box as well.
Yes it is a similar design and yeah i'm going to do all of that and look the filter over real well while i'm at it and see if it's over oiled.
Old May 23, 2010, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

I am guessing I don't need the intake with the numbers i'm likely pushing though?