Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

To stroke or not to stroke

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by murlo26
You will need to bore out the motor to press the sleeves in and the check all your clearances etc etc. Not sure if you need to hone the sleeves but there is more if you do...i am not a mechanic or a machinist...i just know from checking into it for my build that it gets real expensive real fast.
AMS block is $1900 with sleeves installed and bored to 90mm if you wish.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phantom X Evo
AMS block is $1900 with sleeves installed and bored to 90mm if you wish.
that doesn't include a core nor does it include anything besides sleeves really. You would still need to buy pistons/rods/crank/engine bearings headgasket...a lot of other stuff.

Plus once you put the pistons in you may need to hone the engine, or you probably would have to.

It is not a cheap build trust me.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

^^^ check that again. its 1900 WITH CORE. so they're charging 1900 to put in 500 sleeves. If you want a new core, its almost 5k. No rods/pistons included. I'll stick with either a local machine shop or buschur 4400 new core with rods/pistons. Never been proven that we need sleeves, and hell, their 2.2l exploded after how long on the track in gate's car? Until we hear why, we dont know for sure that the sleeves didn't walk.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chkmgnt59
^^^ check that again. its 1900 WITH CORE. so they're charging 1900 to put in 500 sleeves. If you want a new core, its almost 5k. No rods/pistons included. I'll stick with either a local machine shop or buschur 4400 new core with rods/pistons. Never been proven that we need sleeves, and hell, their 2.2l exploded after how long on the track in gate's car? Until we hear why, we dont know for sure that the sleeves didn't walk.
Exactly what I basically said...i have no doubt the 2.2L AMS motor is awesome, but it comes at a hefty price point.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the info.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

yea murlo you posted while I was typing lol

so do you know about boring out to 87mm? Is it even worth the risk, or just stick to 86.5?
Old May 25, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

i'll stick to stock 86mm if i were you. rev all you want and with alot of reliability. do like murlo did as i would also follow his footsteps hopefully 1 fine day

87mm is a little more than 2.05L

pistons, rods, bolts, bearings, honing if required, balance crank if required, resurface head deck or maybe headwork if budget permits, larger in/ex valves, cams, springs, retainers, etc etc, all this will give you a very strong motor without touching the block !

just the stuff above mentioned cost approx. 6K +/- with labor depending on parts/brands/deals excluding downtime. just imagine if you're planning to do more work on the block.

estimated cost with block work and to stroke is approx. 10k and up ! i'd rather save up the balance to do other stuffs.

just my 2 cents
Old May 25, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

If your car is going to be down, then reconsider your fuel setup. I'd recommend a BlaqOPs kit and a Boomba rail (if you aren't going all-JDM).

I bought the AMS rail and ended up pulling it off a month later. It's a terrible design at a high price, imo. The fitting at the rail will spring a leak more likely than not...mine did and I spoke to multiple people with the issue.

Last edited by mlomker; May 25, 2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

but isn't the problem with drop in pistons w/o touching the block that they won't fit perfectly. The clearances on our pistons are so small, w/o boring out even .5mm, how could you get the perfect fit? Local race shop will charge 100 to bore out the engine, so it's not that huge a deal i suppose
Old May 25, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

.5 overbore is very common and then hone it (many shops would recommend this, then you can get your correct clearances). Another shop quoted me this and it is a normal way to do it.

1 mm overbore isn't necessary i don't think, the more sleeve you leave in tact the better. This is a better question for whoever is doing the work though.

With getting a brand new OEM block though I should be fine with going stock sized pistons with a hone.
Old May 25, 2010, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chkmgnt59
but isn't the problem with drop in pistons w/o touching the block that they won't fit perfectly.
How perfect do they need to be? I did drop-in JE's and my mechanic said they slap a bit when cold so I can't imagine why I'd want them looser.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Murlo your build sounds like its pretty bad ***. Let me know your total price. I have a simular set up to your before yours went. I am really hoping it wasnt the MX1s without the valves/springs. My car would be down for months with me walking to work.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

mlomker, if I were to bore out, i'd get oversized pistons as well. The purpose is to eliminate any/all slapping by having the bore made for the pistons. I know in the 4g, if you had a used engine and did drop in stock size pistons, you would burn through oil rather rapidly. If this is no longer true with the 4b11, that would be awesome.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

^ I highly recommend a second car...i picked one up last week, another 2 grand down the drain, but now I have a DD that is slow, gets good gas mileage and is reliable and cheap.

Once the Evo is paid for, i intend to get a good DD though.

The MX1's are a possibility and so is an injector and so is just making too much torque...i am leaning towards something going wrong though since i wasn't even pushing it at the time.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mlomker
If your car is going to be down, then reconsider your fuel setup. I'd recommend a BlaqOPs kit and a Boomba rail (if you aren't going all-JDM).

I bought the AMS rail and ended up pulling it off a month later. It's a terrible design at a high price, imo. The fitting at the rail will spring a leak more likely than not...mine did and I spoke to multiple people with the issue.
already got my inj's installed & Bops is on its way but rail still stock & my turbo is still staring at me saying when the h*ell you gonna put me in

but isn't the problem with drop in pistons w/o touching the block that they won't fit perfectly. The clearances on our pistons are so small, w/o boring out even .5mm, how could you get the perfect fit? Local race shop will charge 100 to bore out the engine, so it's not that huge a deal i suppose
does that mean the stock piston is not 86mm, small & does not fit perfectly ?

Standard value
"Cylinder bore: 86 mm (3.4 inches)
Cylindricity: 0.010 mm or less (0.0004 inch)"

so the block has to be bored & then fit a 86mm piston in to get a perfect fit since it is bored 0.5mm but 86mm +0.5mm = 86.5mm so maybe get a 86.5mm piston to get a perfect fit ?

""clearance between the pistons and cylinders.
Standard value: 0.03 − 0.05 mm (0.001 − 0.002 inch) "

on your current block if the cylinder walls are ok and not damaged from factory, imo just hone the block and drop the new 86mm pistons in and it shall fit in nicely. there are recommended practices & tolerances from manufacturer

sorry being dumb here but i'm always glad to be educated.

Quick Reply: To stroke or not to stroke