Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

OEM Clutch is Slippin' Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi will not cover this after 18k miles. 12k tops unless there is another problem. I had mine warranted at 400 miles as a result of a leaky seal behind the throwout bearing. I had to fight for that one all the way to mitsubishi corporate. Since then I have had no problems. I have 18.5k on my car now and I've abused the clutch a bit more then you (6 autox, 5 quarter mile runs at track).

My Evo VIII went out at 17k miles and my IX had a stock clutch past 25k miles (sold it so don't know how long it really lasted).
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So my clutch finally crapped out on me... Seems like it wouldn't decompress, so I can pretty much shift gears without touching the clutch, but the gears don't even catch. The thing is since it was the holiday no tow trucks were available so now my car is just sitting in a private parking lot until tomorrow morning... sucks.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOsoFRESH
So my clutch finally crapped out on me... Seems like it wouldn't decompress, so I can pretty much shift gears without touching the clutch, but the gears don't even catch. The thing is since it was the holiday no tow trucks were available so now my car is just sitting in a private parking lot until tomorrow morning... sucks.
Wait... are you saying that with the engine running you can select gears without pushing in the clutch pedal?

If so you have another clutch related problem, it's not the typical clutch worn issue. Something is sticking.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe dead master cyliner.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Yes it doesn't even stall when I have it in gear with my foot off the clutch. We were thinking it was the master cylinder, but my buddy whose shop I took it too said it couldn't be the master cylinder. He's gonna take a look at it this week. He said that he had come across this problem too with Maria's (spool_me) X, but hers was split in half. Regardless, I already ordered a new clutch since I was planning on getting one in the future, might as well do it now.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Always try the dealer. Like Kevin Garnett, anything is possible. Your odds are about as good as winning the lottery, but people do win.

Mine went out early. Changed it at my shop and I have 22k on the new stock one.

Last edited by plan:b; Jul 8, 2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
One of my frien'd Evo 8 clutch went out under 10K miles. But one other friend's car rolled over 100K miles and still on original clutch. It's all in the left foot. :}
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wear items are only included in the warranty for a reduced amount of time. I can't recall if it's 6 months or a year. In either case, they can still pull the abuse card and deny you.

With 18k, your chances are practically nil. You can try, but I wouldn't go in expecting them to cover it.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

It's all G guys. I brought it over to DS1 Motorsports, upgrading to an Exedy clutch. I know the owner so he's hooking me, towing my car there was a pain since it was a holiday so I had to wait the following day leaving it at a Verizon parking lot. Took the towing service 30 minutes and four planks of wood to get my car on the truck.

Here's some pics I would like to share:

Last edited by EVOsoFRESH; Jul 8, 2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

I destroyed my stock clutch at 4000 miles on the car but that was cause I beat the hell out of it and launch the car at every stop sign/red light and the dealers didn't cover it because it's a wear and tear item..the guys at the dealership told me the only way they would cover it if had a bad oil seal or a manufactures defect....so i just had them put a aftermarket clutch in for me
Old Jul 9, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

EVO IX 77k miles on stock clutch at trade in with a few hard road course days. EVO X 35k+ and still the same as when I bought it. No track days however yet.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry for bring back this thread but how do you know if you have a bad oil seal? My clutch is slipping and i purchase the car used at around 13k miles, drove it for about 2500-3000 miles and its not starting to slip a little. 3rd gear slips slightly (just up about 500rpm and 5th gear at WOT will jump up about 1k rpm).
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

yall r gona have to help me. ive never had a stick til i got the evo. so i learned on the evo. i did ride the clutch a few times when i first got it but i never do now. but i did notice at about 2500 miles the clutch got a little softer.and i guess you can say its easier to get going with it like tht but is it just it breaking in or is something wrong. im at 3k now. help
Old Oct 9, 2010, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tlsole
Sorry for bring back this thread but how do you know if you have a bad oil seal? My clutch is slipping and i purchase the car used at around 13k miles, drove it for about 2500-3000 miles and its not starting to slip a little. 3rd gear slips slightly (just up about 500rpm and 5th gear at WOT will jump up about 1k rpm).
can anyone answer this?
Old Nov 9, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tlsole
Sorry for bring back this thread but how do you know if you have a bad oil seal?
I would also like to know this ^^^

Quick Reply: OEM Clutch is Slippin' Help