Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

SSP MC2 Clutch Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSP MC2 Clutch Master Cylinder

Just received my new SSP MC2 Clutch Master Cylinder yesterday. The unit is very impressive. It looks so good you almost wish it were mounted somewhere more visible.

The installation took me 3 hours from start to finish and that included removing the old one. With a manual bleeder, I was able to perform the installation myself without any help whatsoever. My clutch feels great and I really like the ability to adjust the clutch pedal height. I am very happy thus far with the quality of the MC, the ease of installation, the ability to adjust the pedal height, and the feel when I depress the clutch. Time will tell if I feel the same in the weeks to come, lol.

For those of you who have ordered the MC2 from SSP, or plan to, I have some suggestions.

1. I suggest you unscrew and remove the piece that snaps onto the clutch pedal BEFORE you try to push the MC through the firewall. I ended up having to do so after a few attempts trying to get it through the firewall without removing it. The piece can be easily screwed back on after you mount the master cylinder.

2. I suggest you purchase a bleeder, either a manual one like I used ($7 at Advance Auto Parts) or a power one. The manual one worked fine but still required me to pump the clutch several times before building pressure.

3. If you find that the clutch does not build pressure, check the arm attached to the slave. Mine was stuck and I needed to lightly pry it loose. I found this on another thread which helped.

Now a comment about my experience with the guys (Jeremy and Kris) at SSP. I was very eager to order my new MC and have it shipped over a week ago. The guys at SSP told me that they could not ship me one because they needed to ship replacement parts to their customers who previously ordered the MC1 which experienced issues in some cars. I was frustrated because I wanted my car back on the road, but after giving it some thought, I was actually happy that they gave me the answer they did. After all, if I had purchased the MC1, and experienced issues, I would like to think that the vendor I bought it from would handle my issue first being that it was their product that I purchased that wasn't functioning correctly and causing me to be without a car.

I think in all fairness to SSP, they are the first to try to tackle the problem of replacing the factory MC with an upgraded one. Even with a fair amount of testing, it cannot be expected that they be able to simulate every installation and brand of clutch out there. There are bound to be some issues that arise. The indication of a good vendor and performance shop is how well they handle those issues when they do arise.

I have come to expect good results from a vendor and performance shop and fortunately, thus far, I have been lucky and have dealt with some pretty good ones. I am impressed with how SSP has handled the problems encountered thus far with their customers. I was very impressed with their decision to forego new sales in exchange for sending out replacement units which do not bring new revenue but rather losses, but it was the right thing to do.

The SSP MC2 in my car may experience issues in the future, I don't know, but having seen the way they handled the issues with their current customers, I am confident they will handle any issues I encounter the same.

Kudos to SSP for tackling this factory Mitsubishi MC problem and for giving us an option. I know that another option would have been to install an EVO 9 unit but I really wasn't ready to start cutting my firewall and going through the hassles of trying to retrofit one. Kudos to SSP for their efforts.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

Im glad the MC2 is working for you.

Nothing against you at all, but there are still customers that ordered the MC1, had the issue with it and are still waiting to receive the MC2. Including myself. With my experience with the issue, they probably told you that as an excuse on why it was shipped out so late. I was told last week my unit would be shipped out by Friday of last week, but it hasnt. I call them yesterday, they toke my name and number, told me they would call me back in a half hour letting me know what the deal was with my unit shipping out. I never got a call back. Again nothing personal to you, but they should be sending the my units to the customers that ordered the MC1 and now have there cars sitting for weeks waiting on the MC2.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=RaysEvoX;8453827]Im glad the MC2 is working for you.

Nothing against you at all, but there are still customers that ordered the MC1, had the issue with it and are still waiting to receive the MC2. Including myself. With my experience with the issue, they probably told you that as an excuse on why it was shipped out so late. I was told last week my unit would be shipped out by Friday of last week, but it hasnt. I call them yesterday, they toke my name and number, told me they would call me back in a half hour letting me know what the deal was with my unit shipping out. I never got a call back. Again nothing personal to you, but they should be sending the my units to the customers that ordered the MC1 and now have there cars sitting for weeks waiting on the MC2.[/QUOTE

yeah I agree I did not even know they were selling them to customers before people like me and you bought version one. I need to get mine soon to I got to install my fp green and bunch of other things. I really want eta on my mc2 i hope next week.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whitecomet

yeah I agree I did not even know they were selling them to customers before people like me and you bought version one. I need to get mine soon to I got to install my fp green and bunch of other things. I really want eta on my mc2 i hope next week.
Ill cross my fingers for you too if you do the same.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great write up I will probably order one soon. Its just too much for the Evo9 conversion and too much work.

Ray have you tried calling their cell phones? I am sorry to hear about the bad experience.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by abazaba410
Great write up I will probably order one soon. Its just too much for the Evo9 conversion and too much work.

Ray have you tried calling their cell phones? I am sorry to hear about the bad experience.
Yes, Kris PM'ed me just a couple minutes ago. Mine has been shipped out.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks a lot Kris. If you would please check out the thread about your MC1.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...r-issue-6.html
Old Jul 3, 2010, 07:20 AM

I am sorry to hear that some of you have not received your replacements. Please note that I did overnight mine. I would like to think that your was shipped either before mine or at the same time and that you didn't receive it yet because I overnighted mine. That may be the case. I wish you received yours earlier but maybe yours was in the second wave sent out. I would like to think that was the case but do appreciate your input and will reserve some caution.

A note of good news is that my MC2 is working fine. I hope it works as well for you. Previously, I had blown two stock ones. I am running an ACT street race 6 puck.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RaysEvoX
Thanks a lot Kris. If you would please check out the thread about your MC1.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...r-issue-6.html
It's because I crossed my fingers for you lol. I am glad you got yours that only means I will get mine soon as well

I really think this time it is gonna be a really good part.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whitecomet
It's because I crossed my fingers for you lol. I am glad you got yours that only means I will get mine soon as well

I really think this time it is gonna be a really good part.
I still got my fingers crossed for you.

Mine shows up tomorrow. As soon as it gets to my house, I will be installing it. Than Ill be spending the rest of the day driving around. Im going through withdrawals. lol

Last edited by RaysEvoX; Jul 4, 2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RaysEvoX
I still got my fingers crossed for you.

Mine shows up tomorrow. As soon as it gets to my house, I will be installing it. Than Ill be spending the rest of the day driving around. Im going through withdrawals. lol
I bet you are. It's goona seem so weird when you first drive it you will fall in love again with your car. Hope the install goe smooth.