Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS CAI leads to water in LICP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2010 | 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

I haven't driven through a river, but it has rained a lot here lately. I'll check the FMIC and see if there's water in there or not.

Definitely going to order the injen hudroshield! thanks!

Hasn't caused a problem with drivabililty and if I hadn't taken of my piping I wouldn't have noticed

Last edited by tjac357; Aug 19, 2010 at 05:14 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2010 | 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

This makes no sense. No water could survive that process. Boost leaks?
Old Aug 19, 2010 | 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

The water had to have come from somewhere - Did you drive in the rain or puddles? Could it be due to the fact that you took it to a touchless car wash or pressure washed it? Those machines that go around the bottom could have sprayed water in that vent forcing the intake to suck it in. Just throwing out a possibility of these happening as well...
Old Aug 19, 2010 | 06:48 AM
Former Sponsor

We have definitely not seen this issue with our CAI for the Evo X unless the front of the car was submersed in water. I few weeks back we had heavy rain fall in our area that caused flooding in some areas. We had a customer try to start his car while under a bit of water to move it away from the rising water. Luckily he shut the car off in time before any serious damage occurred with having too much water was sucked in.

I recently contacted a few customer who have the CAI on their car and had them check for water in the licp and they did not have any signs of water in the piping. It sounds like there is another issue going on here or its possible that maybe you drove through a large puddle while accelerating.
Old Aug 19, 2010 | 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks andrew, good to know that's not the problem.

I'm going to do a boost leak test once I get the clutch back in and the car put together.
Old Aug 19, 2010 | 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
The water had to have come from somewhere - Did you drive in the rain or puddles? Could it be due to the fact that you took it to a touchless car wash or pressure washed it? Those machines that go around the bottom could have sprayed water in that vent forcing the intake to suck it in. Just throwing out a possibility of these happening as well...
I only wash my car by hand
Old Aug 19, 2010 | 08:17 AM

thats the only way to wash it, Thanks Andrew, I wasnt really scared but when I read this I called back to the states and had mine checked. def weird how water got there then
Old Aug 19, 2010 | 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Andrew! My car is going back to ivey tune for some work and ill have him take a look at it.
Old Aug 19, 2010 | 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by svpxturbo
most cold air intakes that run down towards the bottom of a car will suck up water. Thats why in wet conditions your suppose to change it out or take it off.
^^^^^
yep...!
Old Aug 19, 2010 | 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SVPxTuRbO
most cold air intakes that run down towards the bottom of a car will suck up water. Thats why in wet conditions your suppose to change it out or take it off.
Originally Posted by EVO X 6950
true story
Originally Posted by KJ82
^^^^^
yep...!
Please don't go posting this in threads, some people may think your actually telling the truth. The fact of the matter is, unless your filter is SUBMERGED in water, you will not have a problem OR do any damage to the car. Think about, A) how far the water has to travel to get to the internals of the motor and B) how hot the turbo / head is. Any little trace of water that MAY make its way into the head will be vaporized. After all, people inject water to cool down the charge of the air, they wouldn't do it if it damaged the motor.

If anything think of the water doubling as nitrous

Last edited by Fractur3; Aug 19, 2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2010 | 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ChrisBond1
i believe injen make a hydroshield, which lets air through to the filter but not water.

http://www.injen.com/docs/products/listing.asp?pcc=rp

i hope this helps
Hey, thats pretty cool! Now i can think of puttin a CAI again since it rains and snow pretty hard here...
Old Aug 20, 2010 | 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Andrew@AMS
We have definitely not seen this issue with our CAI for the Evo X unless the front of the car was submersed in water. I few weeks back we had heavy rain fall in our area that caused flooding in some areas. We had a customer try to start his car while under a bit of water to move it away from the rising water. Luckily he shut the car off in time before any serious damage occurred with having too much water was sucked in.
Originally Posted by Andrew@AMS

I recently contacted a few customer who have the CAI on their car and had them check for water in the licp and they did not have any signs of water in the piping. It sounds like there is another issue going on here or its possible that maybe you drove through a large puddle while accelerating.

Originally Posted by Fractur3
Please don't go posting this in threads, some people may think your actually telling the truth. The fact of the matter is, unless your filter is SUBMERGED in water, you will not have a problem OR do any damage to the car. Think about, A) how far the water has to travel to get to the internals of the motor and B) how hot the turbo / head is. Any little trace of water that MAY make its way into the head will be vaporized. After all, people inject water to cool down the charge of the air, they wouldn't do it if it damaged the motor.

If anything think of the water doubling as nitrous
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I you actually believe this and own any type of force enduced vehicle, please do yourself a favor and burn it...!

Read the highlighted in RED above BUDDY...! While driving during wet, rain(not drizzling conditions, then again it depends) if you happen to go over a large amount of water(and this has happened to alot of people which I happen to know not by associaton) you will be in trouble...! CAIs are real close to the ground, and in some occassions some rides are so low to the ground that you wouldn't be able to fit a sprite can underneath it vertically...

People who "inject water" to cool down the charge of the air is done with a kit... A kit which mixes "METHANOL" with distilled water...! GOOGLE METHANOL PAL...! Go to the AEM website and educate thyself...! Then again judging on that water solely enters the head doubling as nitrous, you might know a tad bit more than us here...!

Here some knowledge from a noob to this site: Water/Methanol Injection
When these two are mixed (via a kit which includes, injection pump, gallon, injection filter, ect...) during extraction towards the intake tract it changes its form from liquid to vapor. In turn heat is pulled from the charged air when entering the intake tract, which lowers the temperature of the air charge and slows the burn rate which helps to avoid detonation. The outcome is higher boost levels, and more aggressive ignition can be used to extract more power from the engine safely... ect...

P.s By the way in order for water to solely evaporate while making it into your CAI, every single drop or molecule of water must already be at a sweltering 212 degrees farenheit, and if not your engine better be the above Xs 3+ in order to vaporize every single drop before it enters your head... yeaaaah... Have a nice one...!

Old Aug 20, 2010 | 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

filter still has be mostly submerged. When I lived in south florida, I ran a CAI without any problems, even through the eye of more than a couple hurricanes (EVEN KATRINA ZOMG!). I never tried going through water over a foot or so deep and never had any issues, even though i've got the filter pretty wet. I did have the injen hydroshield coupler installed, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything other than convert your CAI to a SRI if your worried, get the coupler.

if you have water in your licp, i'd wonder about condensation buildup or a loose coupler that lets some water in (Which would be a pretty huge boost leak). there's a lot of temperature change that close to the radiator, engine block, IC... lots of opportunity for condensation.

Conversely, a friend in Utah hydrolocked his M3 engine on a dry sunny day by not noticing a wide deep uncovered construction ditch in the road that was filled with runoff water from the build site. Talk about tough luck =/
Old Aug 20, 2010 | 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Rain alone is not enough to do any damage to the motor. You need to submerge the filter in standing water. That means the water needs to be at least 15" or so before you even need to think about damaging anything.

And I don't think anyone drives their car through 15" of water. If you do, you should put your intake on top of the hood like a Jeep.
Old Aug 20, 2010 | 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

you all have to remember, that while it's true that *most* of the filter has to be submerged in water in order to hydrolock, the water spreads through the material like a drop of water on a piece of paper. it's actually easier to soak up the entire filter than it sounds. getting just the front side of the filter wet and with enough time it can spread to 3/4 of your filter.

i've never hydrolocked in the rain per se, but i have hydrolocked by driving through a puddle (in the rain) that's maybe ankle-deep. the splashing caused a scoop-like effect and i was screwed.

Last edited by EndlessRed; Aug 20, 2010 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: AMS CAI leads to water in LICP