Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Upgraded intercooler....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking to pick up an intercooler as my next mod. Any idea of how much power I can pick up?

currently I have an AMS intake, AMS uicp, CP-E turbo back w/ HFC, boost pill and cobb with custom stage II tune.

I'm currently at 315 hp/315 tq.

The next batch of mods will include an intercooler, licp, test pipe, 3 port and tune.

any ideas on numbers?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So Chad has come clean with what core he sources for the X. Every FCP core I've seen uses a bar+plate louvered fin design. I think they're 3/4" fins. Any more details, Chad?

How about ETS, AMS, Perin, etc? I'd guess at least a couple of you are also using FCP cores Anyone using a Garret or Spearco core? Bell or Vibrant? I'd bet some of the JDM boys are using Sanli cores. What fin style? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume everyone is going bar&plate.

So now that all the vendors what to put in their two cents, lets hear some tech dirt
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by blk-majik
So Chad has come clean with what core he sources for the X. Every FCP core I've seen uses a bar+plate louvered fin design. I think they're 3/4" fins. Any more details, Chad?

How about ETS, AMS, Perin, etc? I'd guess at least a couple of you are also using FCP cores Anyone using a Garret or Spearco core? Bell? I'd bet some of the JDM boys are using Sanli cores. What fin style? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume everyone is going bar&plate.

So now that all the vendors what to put in their two cents, lets hear some tech dirt
The garrett cores are too small. They only make an 18" wide core and the opening on the evo x bumper is 20" - The first thing we look at when building an intercooler is the surface area, no point in using a smaller core when we can fit a 20" core in there The cores we use are our own design. Here is a good pic of our core only.

Some fin pack love Gotta have the offset and staggered setup!

We could start debating core design, but this thread could get ugly fast

Thanks!

Michael
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by blk-majik

How about ETS, AMS, Perin, etc?
I believe that Chad once mentioned he and AMS use the same manufacturer.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Michael, can you please help me make a decision with ETS 3.5"?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ETS Michael
We could start debating core design, but this thread could get ugly fast
I guess I've been bused because that's kinda what I was looking for There's no one perfect solution that is best for everyone, which is why every vendor does things a little differently. I'm interested in why everyone decided to go the way they've went. Otherwise we're left picking the one thats shiny and is made by people we think are smart, who build their project cars the way we want to build ours. Not very scientific

Thx for the closeup on the fins, I'm digging the staggered fins!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Coltar
Starting my research for upgrading my intercooler. I all ready have the ARC intake pipe, but not sure if I want to go the ARC route for the intercooler. So I am just asking for what you guys thoughs on which intercooler is the best. Thanks for you help with this.
well, to answer the original question, i wouldn't go with the arc intercooler unless if you're dead set to be jdm. search for other threads on this--but i remember seeing pics of it, and it's awfully thin for an "upgrade." it does have one unique feature though--has some special fins or something that supposedly directs air more efficiently. but otherwise, i'd say all the other american ic's depicted in this thread are better performers, and for 1/2-1/3 the cost.

i personally have an ams one myself, but i'm sure all the others here are quite comparable.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

I just got a nice flowing bar and plate 20 inch x4 inch core and had the end tanks welded up. Seems to be working fantastic with stock. the Red I had and the GT35R HTA I have now. Intake temps are ice cold at even 25-26 PSI and total cost was a whopping $400 total. I also was able to do the 3 inch inlets and outlets I wanted.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Just get ETS you will be happy with it.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by JED_POLAND
Michael, can you please help me make a decision with ETS 3.5"?
Get the core! It's going to help a ton over stock.

Little bit of information for the drag racer guys, the 900whp auto 1G that runs 8.80's only raised 17 degree's over ambient at the shoot out. The outside temps were around 100 degree with the humidity. That's pretty impressive, it's also one of the only cars that didn't break

Thanks!

Michael
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

so would you recommend the 4" core than? i don't plan to upgrade the turbo anytime soon
but eventually depending on how the fp blacks run, i may go that or red when all is said and done.

mod list within the next month or so will be:
tomei exhaust
hfc
ams or ets dp
upper and lower IC pipes
ams or ets IC
works or cosworth drop in (dont want to deal with cops)
and a tune
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:17 AM

If you want the giant horsepower a4 inch is going to be your best bet. They don't always go in quite as easy as the 3.5 inch though. If you are willing to put in the work, though, definitely go for a 4 inch. Most of the U.S. companies are going to be pretty comparable.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:31 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We use a custom fcp core, they aren't standard sizes. Gst did a review of our fmic, I think the community understands by now that we are probably one of the most detail oriented companies in the industry. We don't build a product unless we feel we need too we've worked with other vendors but quite simply were never satisfied.... Hence where our products come from .. Pm me if we can help!!

Cb

Edited to add: another common misconception is "I don't need a big fmic because I run a stock. Turbo" when in reality they create the most heat because they are typically pushed out of their efficiency range

Last edited by CBRD; Aug 28, 2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

I've got the CBRD fmic and couldnt be happier. I've been to there shop, had them work on my car, and will tell you first hand Chad is good people. You can trust any product he stands behind because, honestly, he's one of the most attention to detail oriented persons i've ever met.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 03:15 PM

AMS ALL DAY EVERYDAY!!!! There is nothing better than AMS in my opinion and there results and reputation as a quality shop has proved this day in and day out.

Quick Reply: Upgraded intercooler....