Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

CBRD Tial 33RB Turbo kit... pics..

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CBRD Tial 33RB Turbo kit... pics..

It's been a long time coming, but with some transitions taking place at our facility and in our business model it has taken us quite a bit longer..

Here are some pictures of our Tial housing Vband EVO X turbo it. Shown is our 33RB turbo (wheel isnt blue) on the manifold with the Tial 38mm MVS gate. We can also build them with the 44mm MVR gate but we will be using the 38mm as our standard. The new valve flows more than the old two bolt 38 which we used in many 35R 2-2.3 liter applications even running low boost (aka 18.5 psi and up).

This manifold was built, designed, and developed entirely in house at CBRD by our new fabrication department.

The complete kit will include the following:

CBRD tubular Vband manifold

CBRD billet 33RB turbo (optional billet 30R and 35R)

Tial MVS Gate with recirculating dump tube with flex bellow

3" 2 piece o2 housing/downpipe to stock catpipe flange with 3" 2 bolt

4" to 3" inlet adapter with 3" maf pipe with 3" MAF housing and filter (optional Cold air intake when used with CBRD FMIC and IC PIPES)

Hot Charge pipe

Lightweight Flex loc oil and coolant lines with aluminum return fitting for block and factory o-ring (not bent or cut lines)

Here are some pics of the manifold- installed pics with other proprietary parts will be up shortly.

This turbo has made 552wp on our mustang dyno on our 2.3 liter evo Time Attack car in the same housing on 93 octane pump gas at 29psi. A stock X on our dyno makes 235whp (2008)

thanks for your support everyone!

cb
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depending on flow rates, 3 inch MAF may get maxed out on race gas. I'm going 3.5 inch on my setup for the 35R HTA. Is the manifold bottom mount? I went top mount peak boost with the Tial V Band housing. Worked beautifully. Have you tested that setup yet? My 35R creeps to 22 PSI with the wastegate mounted similarly and I'm using a Tial 44mm. Makes me wonder how stable boost will be with just an MVS handling it.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:52 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Guru
Depending on flow rates, 3 inch MAF may get maxed out on race gas. I'm going 3.5 inch on my setup for the 35R HTA. Is the manifold bottom mount? I went top mount peak boost with the Tial V Band housing. Worked beautifully. Have you tested that setup yet? My 35R creeps to 22 PSI with the wastegate mounted similarly and I'm using a Tial 44mm. Makes me wonder how stable boost will be with just an MVS handling it.
depends on the runner and collector design

we have run the 38's without issue before... but we have it flanged for both

it also has to do with the compressor/turbine/housing flow

its a bottom mounted turbo, I just myself do not care for the top mount design.

we can easily do a 3.5" MAF, but the 3" will work fine for our clients with pump gas

cb
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks pretty nice guys!

-Em
Old Sep 2, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice looking setup there Chad, can't wait to see it deployed on others cars
Old Sep 2, 2010, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Chad.. that looks almost like the Evo 8 9 manifolds only reverse!
Looks AWESOME!
Old Sep 2, 2010, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
depends on the runner and collector design
Precisely and you have your wastegate inlet making almost 180 degree turnaround from the exhaust gasses direction. Not very good in terms of maximizing the wastegate's capabilities although with smaller turbos I suppose you can get away with it.

it also has to do with the compressor/turbine/housing flow
True, I'm using a 0.82 tial housing on mine. Perhaps the smaller 0.64 may be okay.

its a bottom mounted turbo, I just myself do not care for the top mount design.
It's more work to make but make things fit so nicely with plenty of room around the trans/transfer case area below for clutch changing time as well as makes the intake and IC piping shorter which is always a good idea. It also looks more bling

we can easily do a 3.5" MAF, but the 3" will work fine for our clients with pump gas

cb
I assume you will offer other options for race gas and E85 customers? I don't care to make two housings and retune it all so just doing a 3.5 inch to begin wit and save myself the trouble later.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 02:22 PM
Account Disabled

Precisely and you have your wastegate inlet making almost 180 degree turnaround from the exhaust gasses direction. Not very good in terms of maximizing the wastegate's capabilities although with smaller turbos I suppose you can get away with it.

True, I'm using a 0.82 tial housing on mine. Perhaps the smaller 0.64 may be okay.

It's more work to make but make things fit so nicely with plenty of room around the trans/transfer case area below for clutch changing time as well as makes the intake and IC piping shorter which is always a good idea. It also looks more bling

I assume you will offer other options for race gas and E85 customers? I don't care to make two housings and retune it all so just doing a 3.5 inch to begin wit and save myself the trouble later.
there are various opinions on how the WG should be positioned relative to flow of the manifold/collector.

There are also various techniques one can use to create a scavenging affect on the outlet side of the WG dump in relation to the down pipe

its not one simple solution

as far as the bling factor, we would rather show our attention to detail on the manifold work, as opposed to a turbo sitting there which to most people looks the same as the next one

im pretty surprised you are having creep issues with that setup, maybe something there is not working effectively. we have never seen creep issues on properly designed manifolds (anything we've ever done in the past few years)

the maf housing will depend on what our client wants and the turbos chosen, fuel, etc... CBRD has always taken pride in making something that can be custom tailored to our clients needs... sharing the same principle as not being able to order our BBK turbos on our website, you must call to order... to make sure its the right product for your needs, and hence why there is nigh a single bad review on one

thanks for your input though, we always appreciate other peoples thoughts.

cheers

cb
Old Sep 2, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

You know I wondered the same thing. Bear in mind I have 1.1 bar springs in my 44 and it is positioned at a 90 degree angle from the turbo inlet (facing firewall). That is the way Peak Boost designed it. I also do have the entire manifold ceramic coated although don't see that being too much of a factor. Redline is 8Kish (stock block). I pressure tested everything and does the same thing with just pressure line going to side nipple so don't think it's a leak anywhere. Gate was brand new from Tial so I know that's solid as well. I am running 25-26 PSI on 93 octane anyway so not a huge deal. Just observations.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 02:44 PM
Account Disabled

You know I wondered the same thing. Bear in mind I have 1.1 bar springs in my 44 and it is positioned at a 90 degree angle from the turbo inlet (facing firewall). That is the way Peak Boost designed it. I also do have the entire manifold ceramic coated although don't see that being too much of a factor. Redline is 8Kish (stock block). I pressure tested everything and does the same thing with just pressure line going to side nipple so don't think it's a leak anywhere. Gate was brand new from Tial so I know that's solid as well. I am running 25-26 PSI on 93 octane anyway so not a huge deal. Just observations.
Dan, no worries at all,

can you link me to what your kit looks like? and I assume its a dump tube? not recirc'd?

pm me if you want, just curious!

cb
Old Sep 2, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

engine bayyyyyy pics
Old Sep 2, 2010, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Sexy
Old Sep 2, 2010, 03:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Looking Good Chad! We have had a few requests for the v-band setups, but never built one for the X yet. keep up the good work. I did hear something about borg warner offering a v-band housing as well. The new wave!

Michael
Old Sep 2, 2010, 03:11 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
Looking Good Chad! We have had a few requests for the v-band setups, but never built one for the X yet. keep up the good work. I did hear something about borg warner offering a v-band housing as well. The new wave!

Michael
Michael,

thank you for the compliment, as always we appreciate being able to be in the same market and having a professional relationship!

I will look into that BW has some very nice comp maps I've seen, and a nice pricepoint. We are very loyal to the guys that build our turbos though, because we are 35 mins away and can have parts produced and immediately implement testing and then revisions!

I doubt we will produce anything but the Vband housing, so that market is yours

cb
Old Sep 2, 2010, 03:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
Michael,

thank you for the compliment, as always we appreciate being able to be in the same market and having a professional relationship!

I will look into that BW has some very nice comp maps I've seen, and a nice pricepoint. We are very loyal to the guys that build our turbos though, because we are 35 mins away and can have parts produced and immediately implement testing and then revisions!

I doubt we will produce anything but the Vband housing, so that market is yours

cb
I like the v-band housing as well, we offer it by request only right now. It's in our normal evo 8 line up, but the X stuff is still new. You guys building a time attack x?

Quick Reply: CBRD Tial 33RB Turbo kit... pics..