Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Worn idler Pulleys 2008 Evo x

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by IndyEvo66
right. i saw that. is that the part number for one pulley?
It's the part number for the pulley that you order two of.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
or is it three if you do the tensioner?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

It is 3 if you do the tensioner which you should do. When I saw the replacement parts from mitsu when my idler pulleys wore on me this past september the tensioner part came with teh idler pulley.

I don't remember now but can you just take the tensioner part off and replace it on one of the new idler pulleys?

I will be ordering these as soon as Im sure they are perfect for our engine.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
good info, but i haven't had any problem. Since its an easy fix and cheap its no branier to do it. I'll do it asap. I do not want to run this issue in the race, knowingly this is possible to get it. That would down grade myself, front of me... badly
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Has anyone done this? My car is at the stealership and they are having trouble with the pulley swap...
Edit: Two of the new Hyundai pulleys work just fine, but the steel pulley rubs on the frame of the tensioner bracket, ie the offset doesn't seem to be right. Has anyone else seen this or come up with a solution?

Last edited by scarryy; Apr 21, 2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Just had my belt fail on me braking hard leading into a corner at the track. Bam, no steering. Car has 64,000 KM's / 40,000 miles. Been racing it hard most it's life. I just want to bump this for some racers out there in that mile range who want to do some preventative maintenance.

Originally Posted by scarryy
Has anyone done this? My car is at the stealership and they are having trouble with the pulley swap...
Edit: Two of the new Hyundai pulleys work just fine, but the steel pulley rubs on the frame of the tensioner bracket, ie the offset doesn't seem to be right. Has anyone else seen this or come up with a solution?
I'll be putting 2 of the Hyundai ones on, but I didn't get one for the tensioner, hopefully that one is not worn. Usually its just the 2 static ones, right? Did you ever fix the issue with it rubbing on the bracket?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
weird thing happened to me, i did go to the Hyundai dealer to get the metal wheels, but they say the Hyundai is plastic also... i don't know what i think now.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
weird thing happened to me, i did go to the Hyundai dealer to get the metal wheels, but they say the Hyundai is plastic also... i don't know what i think now.
Did you ask by part number? I just ordered 2x 25287-2c000, didn't even think to ask if it was metal or plastic, just assuming it is from everyone ordering them.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:39 AM

So everyone who changed Serpintine belt has this problem with the pulleys? Or just those people who tracks ?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I swapped the metal Hyundai pulley's into all three teamiglooracing One Lap of America cars and we didn't have any belt problems to speak of this year. This is definitely worth doing as a preventative maintenance item and a good aftermarket gates belt is likely even better to go with than the Mitsu one as it tends to get frayed edges very easily compared to good quality aftermarket ones.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:20 AM

My car is dd and never tracked it.. And due for belt replacement very soon... So this pulley replacement goes to everyone who's changing Serpintine belt?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiboost
I swapped the metal Hyundai pulley's into all three teamiglooracing One Lap of America cars and we didn't have any belt problems to speak of this year. This is definitely worth doing as a preventative maintenance item and a good aftermarket gates belt is likely even better to go with than the Mitsu one as it tends to get frayed edges very easily compared to good quality aftermarket ones.
Did this include the tensioner pulley also?

I ask because someone mentioned a tolerance issue earlier in the thread and it rubbing...
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just replaced the two idler pulley's in all three cars and left the tensioner pulley alone. Sounds like the other guy was having issues with the Hyundai tensioner pulley rubbing after trying to install it which typically doesn't wear out from what I can tell.

Last edited by Hiboost; Jun 15, 2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiboost
I just replaced the two idler pulley's in all three cars and left the tensioner pulley alone. Sounds like the other guy was having issues with the Hyundai tensioner pulley rubbing after trying to install it which typically doesn't wear out from what I can tell.
Gotcha.

I have a brand new 2011 so I am not too concerned just yet but when I tear into it I will do this as preventative maintenance at that time.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Since I am rebuilding my engine I am ordering these 2 hyundai pulleys. I am worried if its pointless since the Tensioner pulley was equally worn compared to the other ones when I had to change out the belt.

Quick Reply: Worn idler Pulleys 2008 Evo x