Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Worn idler Pulleys 2008 Evo x

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worn idler Pulleys 2008 Evo x

As the topic says. I brought in my car for the the 48,000 Type D (Extreme Usage) service about 6000km past the 48. I knew it was going to be late since I wasn't going to make it to the city and had an intermediate service performed earlier in the year. I overlooked the belt.

The Service Tech went to throw the new belt on and it came off. After inspection it was deemed to be worn pulleys. When the new pulleys arrived (Approx cost is around $1000+ for 3 -- one of them is the tensioner. PM me for info regarding warranty as I will not post publicly on that issue.

In the end the fact that the pulleys are made of plastic was the problem. The pulleys are the same as the ones on the regular lancer. I was told this will most likely happen again. It is easy enough to check for the symptoms. You can check for the belt to be moving around laterally or you can remove the belt and inspect the pulleys for wear. I may post pictures for anyone interested as to what specific pulleys to look at, but it should be easy enough to find especially with the help of a parts breakdown from the shop manual.

I drive my car hard but not excessively. So the wear should be uniform with maybe half of evo owners and probably worse for the remainder.

I would recommend getting the belt changed not a minute past its service life. Although there was nothing visually wrong with the belt.

I had to use the old belt until the new pulleys came in as the new belt would not stay on.

I haven't seen anything on the Aftermarket with regards to idler pulleys. I would think AMS or someone else may have seen this come up before and possibly is working on a fix.

I have a friend of the family with a metal lathe. When I get some new pulleys to work from he will be building me aluminum ones. I am not knowledgable with regards to the balancing of them and the construction of the bearings, etc. So it will take some time and is not something planned for the near future.

Hopefully an aftermarket company comes up with a better solution.

So I would be careful of this issue.

The dealership I went to had seen this issue on at least one other Evo in the last couple months.

Just thought I would give everyone a heads up as I haven't found anything by searching around the net or the forums.

Thanks
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:01 AM

Wow, plastic? Hmmm...

Searching around, I found these Agency Power Pulleys, are these it?

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...productid=2262
Old Sep 12, 2010, 02:31 AM

I would love to here more input on this. It sounds like u got hosed by the dealer more than anything, but I may be wrong.
It doesn't make sense that the old belt would work but not a new belt. Unless the pulleys worn at a sharp angle, or the tensioner broke.
Do you have any pics of the new vs old parts?
And please post pics of the pulleys in question so I can check mine
Old Sep 12, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jk68x3
I would love to here more input on this. It sounds like u got hosed by the dealer more than anything, but I may be wrong.
It doesn't make sense that the old belt would work but not a new belt. Unless the pulleys worn at a sharp angle, or the tensioner broke.
Do you have any pics of the new vs old parts?
And please post pics of the pulleys in question so I can check mine

I didn't get hosed by anyone. I didn't say how much anything cost me or if it was covered. I just said the estimated retail value of the parts.

I don't have the pics since they have the pulleys for right now and my camera phone wasn't working at the time. But I will get the old pulleys in a number of weeks.

The old belt fit since the pulleys and it had worn together. The new belt is made for the pulleys in good condition and doesn't match up to worn pulleys.

The pulleys were very worn especially when comparing to the new ones.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Anyone else run into this problem? I am considering purchasing an X in the near future and am doing research.

BTW, the OP has the most erudite screen name I've ever seen on EvoM lol
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Here is a solution for those that haven't seen the other thread

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...uary-2010.aspx
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Anyone else run into this problem? I am considering purchasing an X in the near future and am doing research.

BTW, the OP has the most erudite screen name I've ever seen on EvoM lol
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...uary-2010.aspx

Good info here, if you want an OEM solution (Hyundai GC )
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Paul Seto ran into this problem during the first event in last years One Lap of America. Basically his pulleys were all worn and even with a new belt they kept sliding off. It was suspected that those running without an undertray would accelerate the wear due to rocks and other debris kicking up into the belts while driving. I usually run with the undertray but take the center section off so that I can better access the oil filter and dyno the car easier.

I'll have to look at all the options, but if someone released an entire lightweight pulley set that included vibration dampening I would be totally interested. I've read that alluminum pulley's that replace stock setups with vibration dampening have the potential to cause vibration problems which wouldn't be worth the minor HP increase from less rotating mass.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Hmmm.... The Stoptech Evo X time attack car was throwing belts left and right at one event. I never did ask them what the problem ended up being, but I guess this is it!

So it appears that any X driven hard and tracked will have accelerated wear of the plastic pulleys leading to the belt coming off.

Sticky worthy?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:58 AM

good info. kinda confused as to what hyundai parts to order to replace with.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by IndyEvo66
good info. kinda confused as to what hyundai parts to order to replace with.
It lists the part in the article:

"The Hyundai part number is 25287-2C000 and you can pick them up for $49.48 each at Dealer Direct Parts."
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
If you click in the motoiq link, they list a part number on there under one of the pics
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

The Hyundai parts will replace the idlers, but what about the tensioner?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

You can change only Pulley on the tensioner. It't the same as other two.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
It lists the part in the article:

"The Hyundai part number is 25287-2C000 and you can pick them up for $49.48 each at Dealer Direct Parts."
right. i saw that. is that the part number for one pulley?

Quick Reply: Worn idler Pulleys 2008 Evo x