Notices

Evodynamics Surge Tank System

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2010, 07:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evodynamics Surge Tank System

hey guys, we are putting together a Surge tank system for the evo X (and easily adaptable to 8/9). the Kit is going to connect to the stock fuel tank and sending unit, so no hacking up the sending unit to increase fuel flow.

here are the details:

1.5L swirl tank
-6AN braided hoses, with aluminum -AN fittings
Walbro 255 inline fuel pump to supply the engine
all necessary hardware for mounting and connecting everything, including instructions

We are going to offer optional hard anodizing to the tank for those who run E85 (the hard anodizing offers better corrosion resistance to alcohol fuels then bare aluminum)

we will also have an optional bosch 044 inline pump instead of the wabro 255 for those looking to make more power then what a single walbro can offer. the bosch option will included larger feed lines and fittings.

further yet, we are going to offer the kit with full tank to rail lines, and an AMS aluminum rail which will have the AN fittings already. couple this with an ajustable fuel pressure regulator and -AN lines back to the surge tank. you'll have a complete fuel system for a track car needing an uninterrupted fuel supply in hard cornering, for a street or drag car needing a bigger fuel supply system without having to resort to twin pumps.

for those who aren't familiar with what a surge tank does, it is essentially acts as a buffer to the engine. your sending unit in the actual fuel tank will now only be used to fill the surge tank, once it is full, it drains back into the fuel tank. because there is no pressure in the tank, the OEM fuel pump is sufficient for a great deal more power. next, the engine actually is only supplied by one pump, the inline pump off the surge tank. this pump feeds the engine, and the fuel rail return comes back to the surge tank. if you make a hard corner, and the stock sending unit starves, all that happens is no fuel will be going into the surge tank to keep it full. the inline pump will still be free to suck fuel out of the surge tank without starving the engine. obviously it wont last forever like this, but your typical turn wont be more then a couple seconds, with more then enough fuel being held in the surge tank, the sending unit will pick up fuel again and refill the surge tank once you get back to a straight.

we have our prototype units fabbed already and will be installing them in cars this week to be tested on the track. once we finalize the design, we will be offering a group buy rate. if you are interested, please add your name to the list, and we will keep you updated on the product over the next couple weeks as we release the product.

i will update this post as we get install pictures, track results, and once the group buy post is created in the vendor for sale section
Old Oct 17, 2010, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

I'll be curious to see what you do for all of the details (mounting location, hose runs, fittings, wiring). Those of us that have done this ourselves know that the "little things" require a fair bit of planning. You can get a tank on Ebay so that's nothing in itself.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 04:31 AM
Evolving Member

If its affordable, put my nbame on the list.

Did more lapping yesterday and boy does it suck to get only 30 minutes before starvation.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=BBQman;8760255]If its affordable, put my nbame on the list.

+1 put me on the list if it is
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BBQman
If its affordable
What do you consider affordable? When I did mine half the cost was braided hose and fittings. You could roll your own setup using fuel hose and push fittings if you're comfortable with that. I'd be surprised if a kit with braided lines and -AN fittings could be done for less than $700.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:23 AM
Former Sponsor

our target price is 650 retail (should have no problem with that)

our group buy, we were thinking 25 off if we get 10, and 50 off if we get 20+ units.

(these prices are not solid yet, but they are definately within 50 dollars)

Last edited by KevinD; Oct 18, 2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Add my name to the list of the ones interested. Obviously want to see the details before a final decision, but keep us posted.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

interested kevin. wish i had known you were doing this, I'm hitting MSR next weekend and would be a perfect test mule, they have a long sweeping high speed left hander that always starves me. Of course you know this b/c you all track there too :-)
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

interested if it comes with good price, instructions, and is a bolt-on affair
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
our target price is 650 retail (should have no problem with that)

our group buy, we were thinking 25 off if we get 10, and 50 off if we get 20+ units.

(these prices are not solid yet, but they are definately within 50 dollars)

There you go, if 10 are sold and we can get them at approx $500, it can make sense.

If the kit is bolt on without needing major mechanical knowledge, thats a plus as well.

I am sure that if this works well, I can get my Canadian lapping Evos to jumpin.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:15 AM
Former Sponsor

we got the last of the fittings in last night! this kit is going to be top knotch! your going to love how easy it will be to install and connect up all the lines
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

updates...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks great Kevin!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Would this be a better alternative to getting a double pumper? I want to run e85 and I'm going to need a good fuel setup to run over 500whp.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kevinf_69
Would this be a better alternative to getting a double pumper?
If you're into road course, then yes. You'll want a Bosch 044.

Quick Reply: Evodynamics Surge Tank System