Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

The ACT ME1-HDSS is in. ?'s

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2010, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ACT ME1-HDSS is in. ?'s

Clutch is in, with the stock resurfaced flywheel. I have about 100 real traffic miles and 100 in town miles. I am a little worried something is not right. From sitting still in first (a bit from 1st to 2nd also) it takes at least 2000 rpm to get it rolling while slipping the clutch. Anything under that fills like the drivetrain is going to buck out the car. It doesn't seem to be getting any better, is this normal during brake-in period? Do I keep trying to slip it at sit still or is there a better way to brake it in?

I have also been doing some slipping down shifts (3rd,2nd, to 1st) , nothing over 3000 rmp. It bucks doing this too.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
You bought an aftermarket clutch, it's going to grab harder and more aggressively than stock Keep driving it and you'll get used to it. Remember, the more the slip a clutch the faster it's going to wear out so try to get off the clutch as quickly and smoothly as possible.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds normal. Be thankful you didn't get a six puck. lol. I wish I could say the clutch got better after a few weeks but I suspect I just learned how to drive it.

If you don't have the Torque Solutions driveshaft bushings then you may find them helpful, I did.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mlomker
If you don't have the Torque Solutions driveshaft bushings then you may find them helpful, I did.
+1 to TS/Beatrush driveshaft bushings and Beatrush rear diff bushings.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 07:36 AM
Account Disabled

I am installing same thing this weekend (with ACT streetlite FW) and am interested to see how it is. I had the same setup but the 6-pad on my old STi and it was a pain at first, but then it became second nature and i liked it better than the stocker - more feel.

I find it surprising how you describe though, I dont recall mine being that drastic in terms of having to slip it at 2k to avoid buck...hmmm...if I have similar results I will report back
Old Nov 9, 2010, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Synaptic3e
I dont recall mine being that drastic in terms of having to slip it at 2k to avoid buck
I had the same thing. I was so unhappy when I first had the six puck/prolite flywheel combo installed that I thought about taking it out! After a couple weeks it smoothed out and my throttle control improved.

I'd driven stick-shift cars for 20 years but performance clutches are not as forgiving. You need to learn the engagement point and hold the rpms steady as you let it out for it to be smooth.

fwiw I've gotten to the point that I can leave a stop in 2nd gear now. It just takes practice.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by dragonetti
Clutch is in, with the stock resurfaced flywheel. I have about 100 real traffic miles and 100 in town miles. I am a little worried something is not right. From sitting still in first (a bit from 1st to 2nd also) it takes at least 2000 rpm to get it rolling while slipping the clutch. Anything under that fills like the drivetrain is going to buck out the car. It doesn't seem to be getting any better, is this normal during brake-in period? Do I keep trying to slip it at sit still or is there a better way to brake it in?

I have also been doing some slipping down shifts (3rd,2nd, to 1st) , nothing over 3000 rmp. It bucks doing this too.
My ME1-HDSS feels so close to the stocker, liked it so much a i got a spare. Much better and lower clutch engagement point after removal of restrictor pill.

Could the resurfacing be uneven?
Old Nov 9, 2010, 08:38 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is everyone on upgraded CMC's when running any ACT clutch?
Old Nov 9, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

I have the ACT HD 6puck. I am on stock CMC. But i have a Magnus CMC in garage, just too lazy to put it on. I have 2500 miles since new clutch.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by armysoldier1073
I am on stock CMC. But i have a Magnus CMC in garage
+1. I'm not putting it in unless the stocker breaks...too many problems can arise. 8k+ miles so far including 5-6 HPDEs.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 04:18 PM

I sit in stop and go traffic for 45mins a day on my way home from work, I have tried a million different ways to get this thing moving smoothly. I found a "less buck spot" but dang I hope this gets better. My driveway gives me hell, it's steep and I back up it into the garage.

As for the flywheel, it was resurfaced with a flywheel machine. I told them if everything wasn't right with it, I would buy a new one. They said it was good, I had no way of testing it myself.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 04:39 PM

the engagement on mine was terribble, until it had been driven on for a while. give it some time and break it in properly its a great clutch .ive had mine in for about 15,000 miles. this clutch is perfect for street/strip driving. ive ran a 12.2 @ 114 and drive it every day to work.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 05:40 PM

Thanks for everyone's comments, I will give it more time and miles.

Synaptic3e let me know how it works for you when you get it in.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Now since having the new clutch... shifting seems too smooth sometimes. Maybe getting rpms and timing exact....(scary)....lol

Last edited by armysoldier1073; Nov 10, 2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Just finally broke my ME1HDSS/Streetlite in and i like it other than some chutter.. I also have the Magnus CMC so the pedal is adjusted to my liking. I admit, It did take a few days for me to get use to it again..

Quick Reply: The ACT ME1-HDSS is in. ?'s